“Poor rundown rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 85 Hotels in Oslo
Bangkok, Thailand
“Poor rundown rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a family room, but a fold out single bed could just be squeezed in next to the queen size bed. The room was in desperate need of a revamp. 30 years ago it probably looked good, but now it was very dated and many things broken, like lamps, fittings, cracked washbasin etc etc. The room does not deserve more than a poor rating. However, the breakfast was nice and plentiful and the bar on the top floor was very nice with a beautiful view. The location, close to the palace, is good.

Room Tip: Apparently there are refurbished rooms. Insist on one of those.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Minibar was completely empty, although they reserve your credit card for extras during the check in. This hotel needs a complete renovation. Rooms are old and ugly. Bathroom furnitures too. Breakfast was ok only. Still very crowded i dont know why..

• Stayed June 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have never had to write a bad review yet (you can check my other reviews), but here goes.
Arrive at 10pm ish - the receptionist found the booking, but she said that booking.com (through which I had made the booking) did not inform them about my son (we had asked for a hotel room with sofa bed) - she said that I should have booked with expedia.com as booking.com always makes mistakes - in my experience I have never had this problem. So we got the room with the sofa bed, but the bed was not made up and the housekeeping staff had left. So we check in, go to the room, I call the receptionist for extra bedsheets and pillows - she asks me to come get them which I do.
We sleep, and after two hours I wake up with a swollen face and lots of itching. I have never had an allergy in my life, and after some internet research (done later after I reached home) it seems it could be due to bed bugs.
Anyways, my wife got panicky looking at me - calls the reception, and the receptionist says go to the hospital (never once empathizing, and even bothering to say where the doctor or clinic was). My wife goes to the reception, asks for a pharmacy which luckily was close, and the guy there was MUCH more nicer than the receptionist - helped out with an over the counter medicine which helped me.
We called the housekeeping staff in the morning, who were very nice - cleaned the room etc again and changed sheets. But we stayed away from the sofa bed.

The hotel is a cold impersonal business hotel, much frequented by airline staff. I didn't expect it to be any different.

Breakfast - typical business hotel fare. However, it is one BIG room, and feels like sitting in an airport and having your food.

Check out - pleasant enough. Apart from the fact that they tried to charge me about 40% more than my booked rate. I didnt even have a print off my booking (stupid me) so I found the soft copy of my booking on my laptop, and the guy at the reception was able to correct his mistake. This was the first time I have had any issues with my booking made through booking.com, and I suspect that this was a problem at Radisson Blu's end. I cannot claim to have stayed at a lot of Radisson Blus while travelling for business, but this definitely was the worst experience I have had with staff in a business hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed four nights while visiting Oslo. The room was comfortable, clean, and the view pleasant. The first night there was a party of some kind with a band whose bass shook the building. There was an offer on a piece of paper in the room to move us to a quieter one if the noise disturbed us, but we doubted that would make much difference. The breakfast buffet was very nice with a large variety of good food, which gave us a good start to the day and let us go lighter at lunch in an expensive city. The remaining nights there was not much of a noise problem, though I wouldn't have called it quiet. We found the location ideal for exploring, a nice walk from the waterfront and very close to the National Theater train and subway station.
One small detail I appreciated was a clothes line to pull across the bathtub, nice when one needs to wash a few light clothes on a long trip.
A caution is that parking in the garage is not cheap, especially when you miss that you have to pay for a permit in the garage right away. All signs in the garage are very small and in Norwegian.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I am surprised at some of the bad reviews on here. I returned yesterday after a weekend in Oslo. I didn't pay full price for the hotel as I got a special offer of £120 per room, per night. I requested a high floor and got the 8th floor around the back with nice views.
The breakfast was really good, a huge dining room with lots of choice & included soya milk and gluten free products. They even had hot potatoes with herbs which were nice.
The wifi was fine and even worked outside on my phone right at the bottom of the street all the way to the Kulturhistorisk Museum!
The airport bus stops right outside the hotel so you don't have to pay a taxi fare.
There is a small shop in the hotel selling snacks, coffee, water and soft drinks. This seems expensive but actually it's about the same as other small shops in Oslo. Expect to pay 280kr for a small bottle of water. My tip is do what I did, drink the water and then fill it with tap water for the rest of your stay. Food and drink everywhere in Norway is 2-3 times the price of the UK.
The free breakfast buffet offered a huge choice so I ate enough for two meals and skipped buying lunch.
The room was very comfortable, it was quiet, including on a Fri/Sat night and had a big TV and comfortable beds and it was always clean. The TV had lots of foreign channels as well as Norwegian ones and for English speakers there were BBC World and CNN but a lot of the Norwegian channels were showing American dramas with subtitles. I would return here but I could only afford it when it's on special offer again.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor and you will get good views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Globe trotting Bombay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I might be overreacting because hotel standards in Norway are generally quite bad. I have been visiting over the last 15 years and have stayed here before, their standards have really dropped.
The facts:
-450$ s a night for standard room( conference going on therefore i was forced to stay here and room rates were high)
-Room in which airconditioner did not work- they gave me a portable fan
- hair on my bed when i entered
- housekeeping was pretty much not there at all, only my bed duvet was laid flat and pillows placed. Trash can emptied and bathroom cleaned. Everything else was left untouched. They probably spent 5 minutes in my room.
- breakfast, although included, was average for European standards, they have drastically reduced the spread
- No concierge anymore
- people trying to call my room told me that no one would pick up the min lines
- shower pressure very bad, tiny bathroom, very old fixtures
- dirty stained furniture

If you absolutely must stay here get a "business class" room , they are modern and marginally better.

• Stayed June 2013
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We recently stayed two nights at this property. It had been recommended to us, and despite not great reviews here, we booked. It is in a great location, close to the National Theater train station and Karl Johan's Gate. The reception area is nice and the staff is friendly. We were given a room on the 13th floor. When we got out of the elevator, we could see some shabbiness. There were some holes in the walls, dings and chips. Our room was OK, but overly warm. There was no way to cool it down. We had one tiny window that didn't do much for us. The room was clean, but quite worn. There was also an odor in the room like body odor. I slept well the first night, as I was just off a trans-Atlantic flight and exhausted. The next night was a Saturday. There is a club or bar across from the hotel that was quite loud. We had our window open hoping to catch some breeze, but had to shut it because of the noise. We could still here the loud music and people yelling. I called the front desk at about 1:15am to see if they knew when the noise might subside, and was told that it would probably continue until at least 3am, which it did. Needless to say, not much sleep had this night. We had the hotel booked again the next Saturday before returning home, and we cancelled that booking an stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel? Share your experiences!