“OK, I am a Scotsman, and value for money is my middle name” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Oslo
Stirling, United Kingdom
“OK, I am a Scotsman, and value for money is my middle name”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

When I spend £250, I expect that the hotel is something quite special. I appreciate that the Radisson Blu in the centre of Oslo would be expensive, but there was nothing special about this hotel.

I arrived and was immediately given the key to my room. The staff in Scandanavian hotels are on the whole excellent, and this was no exception.

When I arrived at my room, there was no iron, the TV was on and blaring a Radisson advert. I called to reception, but guess what, the phone did not work in my room.

So I trailled all the way back to reception, to ask them to send someone to fix the phone and to bring an iron. 'I am sorry Sir, we do not have irons, but there is an ironing room on the fourth floor' I was told.

So I have to treck all the way up to floor 23, collect 4 shirts and four pairs of trousers, trek to floor 4, iron them and then reverse the trip?? I dont think so!! Arriving back at the 23rd floor, I noticed an iron and ironing board outside a room (albeit it was the housekeepers room), and borrowed it.

I then turned my attention to the TV - that advert was too loud and annoying me. Could I find the remote control? So I picked up the phone, and remembered that the engineer hadnt been to fix it, so went all the way back down to reception. This time, I was offered a different (and upgraded) room. No problem. The new room had an iron and iron board, and was much nicer, although dated in the decor.

The room experience was not the best, and a htoel that does not offer you a facility to press your clothes in the room immediately gets demerit points added I am afraid.

On the plus side, the new bar that had opened at the top was superb.

Overall, a very expensive central Oslo hotel, but I fail to see what I am paying for......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Forde, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was my second stay at Radisson Plaza Hotel, and my previous impression of this hotel has been confirmed. This is your typical business hotel, however, its location makes it a good tourist hotel as well, just a stone's throw from the train station. It is also very close to shopping and the Karl Johan street, with the Palace in one end and the Parliament in the other end.

My room was a spaceous double room, two people and their luggage would comfortably stay in the room. The room was not the most modern, but it was light and bright. The bathroom was an average hotel bathroom, which also could have benefitted from some refurbishment. The bed was comfortable, not too hard nor soft. The pillow looks very fluffy and big, but once you lay you head on it, it collapses. I had to use a second pillow to get a comfortable rest.

My stay was in connection with a conference, where there were about 500 people attending. Therefore, the lunch was served speedily in the English manner. Dinner was also a speedy affair, the food was nice, but the service was terrible. The waitress seemed more interested in getting the food on the plates, and the dinner over and done with. On one occasion the waitress pulled the shoulder of one guest back to get to the plate, not asking whether she could move or not. Or the waitress would utter; "Watch it" in a sourly manner when clearing the table. However, all the desserts served, both for lunch and for dinner, were superb! So kudos to the kitchen.

Breakfast still shows the guests that this is an international business hotel, as the continental selections with egg, bacon, baked beans, tomatoes, sausages etc. was plentyful, while the Scandinavian selections were few with cheese, smoked salmon and salami. I missed things such as ham, brown cheese and liver pate, which normally are found on a Norwegian hotel buffet. The hotel should recognise that quite a few of the guests are Norwegians on conferences, and not only international businessmen.

Room Tip: Ask for one high up in the floors, which gives a good view and less street noise.
Weston Super Mare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was not my first stay at the Radisson Blu for business but I am beginning to sea few flaws in the hotel that you may not notice if you are an occasional visitor.
The positives - staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfast is varied and plentiful and the beds are comfortable and it's proximity to the train and bus stations and shopping areas is very useful.
The negatives - the things that one would usually take for granted in a modest hotel are a phone call away, such as anti slip mats and irons and ironing boards. Also the iron i was given had exposed wiring where the sheathing had been worn (not too safe).The bathtub is quite high and difficult to manoeuvre in and out of easily. Also the lighting is not so bright in the rooms making it difficult to work easily in the evening.
More worrying was one morning when I was getting dressed I couldn't quite understand a voice in the corridor as the tv was on at a normal volume. As I leant against the door I heard that it was an announcement saying that the fire alarm had been activated and to stand by for further instructions. I was amazed that a suspected fire alarm was not really audible given that it could have led to a full evacuation. Fortunately in my case it didn't but I am left wondering whether I would be able to hear a genuine alarm if it went off. It would be no mean feat evacuating 37 floors which may be occupied at any one time.
Will be seeking alternate accommodation for my next trip.

Room Tip: Book a room away from ice machine and lift to get a better nights sleep.
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times now and will be staying again over the coming weeks. It's a great hotel from everything I've seen so far. Most of the hotel has a modern feel thanks to the decor, with a small aount of older charm from the Irish Pub attached to the hotel lobby.

For bars there are 2 within the hotel and a third being the Irish pub. Within the main lobby there's a very modern kind of bar and then a bar and restaurant on the 34th floor. I haven't been up to that yet but plan to on my next visit when I should have more time to relax away from my work.

Free high speed wi-fi is readily available for hotel guests and it is one of the first hotels where it genuinely is a high speed wi-fi connection.

On the first trip I only stayed one night and I was in a standard room (twin.) Nice room although the twin bed situation was a little bit strange considering I'd booked a queen-size bed with my booking but as it's only me using the room it wasn't really an issue.

Second trip I was up on the 31st floor in a Business Class room. Slightly nicer layout but again, comfortable, clean, very functional. It did have an iron/press unit in the wardrobe which was useful to get my shirts ready. I was working in my room most of the time on this visit and just ordered room service rather than going to the restaurant, which worked out cheaper than going to the 34th floor anyway. Pay TV was included in the room rate so I got to watch all the latest films they had on, i.e. Men In Black 3, Chronicle, The Muppets, etc.

All the room facilities, including the bathrooms, were clean and in good working order. In the bathroom there were 3 options for the bath. Using it as a bath, a fixed shower head (wall mounted) or a hand held shower head. Always nice to see this kind of combination.
Coffee machine looked nice but I ended up not using it this time round.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very centrally located but can be a little pricey for the average traveller.

My business stay there was good and I had good nights rest there but our group was not given double beds as said earlier. Instead two single beds. When I went to request for a double bedded room from the counter thereafter the service wasn't too polite. A customer who cut my queue at the lobby was not apprehended but instead greeted and entertained. Perhaps it's because I'm not native there or it could be due to my skin color.

However other services were alright, wifi connection at the rooms were stable and I could do some work from my room. My laundry was well taken care of but it is pricey I must warn you.

Other than the episode at the counter I would say that my stay here was as expected, but not fantastic.

• Stayed September 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Better located of the two Radisson in Oslo, if you come with airport train and just want to be close to communication, but also quite close to the city center. Right by the central station, so if you come by train, from the airport or elsewhere, its right at your door step. Oslo does not have many nice hotels according to Tripadvisor, and this one is quite ok, overall it was very good, but very standard. Very good breakfast.

Location 8/10:
Located in the middle of the city right by the central train station, so its perfect. Just a few minutes’ walk to the main city center and shopping, museums, sightseeing, and the harbour with the nice restaurants.

Lobby/Check-in 6/10:
Open and big areas with a nice small sitting area with nice leather sofas and chairs. There is a bar opposite the lobby, so people can have a drink or coffee while waiting. Very standard and nothing special at all. Valet parking, which is rare in Europe, and that was a very good feature. Check in staff was young and inexperienced, or did not really care, but he was not so service minded.

Room 5/10:
Average and standard room, with two single beds, when I had requested king or queen, but it was at least very comfortable. Small windows made it look a bit strange (see photo). Big closet with safe. Big and nice bathroom, with one superb feature which I have found rare; hangers by the washing basin, to hang towels! There were no plug to put into the bathtub either, so no possibility to take a bath. Free high speed internet, was good, but not so fast. Room was very cold, even though I had it on max heat and full fan. Just received a small radiator for the whole room when commenting on this. It could never heat up the room in the evening close to the bed, and since there were very few power outages to connect with. (see photo). Cleaning lady twice just opened door and came in, without knocking, even though I commented on it the first time. She hardly spoke English, and no Norwegian.

Restaurants 6/10:
The breakfast buffet is very, very good, with a lot of choices of hot and colds. Not a very wide selection of bread, but that’s just me being picky. No choice of ordering and extras, like an omelette, as I could see without asking. The coffee was one of the worst I have ever had. Taste honestly like water. The staff was attentive and friendly. Did not eat any other meal here.

Other:
The gym is quite ok. Its at the top, with wonderful views of the city. There is a very nice pool, also with gorgeous view of Oslo, with a sauna and relax as well. Did not try the bar or business center.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Good breakfast,meals are good but very small menu-restaurants close by.Rooms are good,Staff Excellent,valet parking makes parking car easy as.Irish Pub down stairs,shopping centre/train station 50m away.Very central,short walk to most sites.I was here for work so costs were not an issue, but as for a tourist very expensive.

Room Tip: Business rooms are good-NE facing sees the City
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo? Share your experiences!