“Authentic Thai restaurant in Oslo” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #184 of 990 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Thai
Yuma, Arizona
“Authentic Thai restaurant in Oslo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Ate here with a group of 9 friends. Service was excellent and it was the closest to authentic Thai I have had outside Thailand. The Tom Yum Goong was great, prefer Laab Moo Eson style , but they did do a spicy Laab Gai. Overall no complaints a great restaurant downtown.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Singapore, Singapore
“Authentic Thai; awkward decoration”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

While walking to my hotel nearby I saw this restaurant, liking thai food I checked it out on Trip Advisor, and thought it was worth the try. And it was. Do not let the decoration turn you around the moment you enter the restaurant. It reminds me of Asian restaurants around Europe in the 70-80's. The food more than compensated this. I paid NOK 332, about EUR 45 for starter, main dish, a drink and a coffee.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“A Delicious, Spicy, Friendly Welcome Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We didn't have the highest expectations, since many of the restaurants in Oslo are just overpriced tourist trap, rip offs. This place was a tip from a friend. I didn't even know the name of it until after I left and I had to go back and get their business card. It is hands down the best Asian food I've had since moving to Norway 12 years ago. Generous portions, great service, and by request, extra spicy. Fantastic! We will definitely go back. Dinner for two was about 750 NOK with two beers and two glasses of wine, and starters. It was about a 10 minute walk from Plaza Hotel.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oslo, Norway
“Good, Slightly Tacky Thai Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I'm not sure what the interior of this restaurant reminds me most of: A genuine Thai restaurant (in Thailand, that is), the ferry to Denmark, or something more suspicious. Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if the meal was to be interrupted by a Swedish dance orchestra. But I'm guessing that it's the genuinely Thai atmosphere that is attempted, and for sure it is entertaining.

Tackiness aside, the food is very good. In fact, probably among Oslo's best Asian restaurants for this price class. And the service is never to be complained about.

I am not sure whether to give this place a 3 or 4 star rating, but considering the budget I am giving them the benefit of doubt.

• Visited February 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Italy
“Excellent choice for Thai in Oslo.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I went to Chiang Mai Restaurant in Oslo while visiting for business. On a Friday night around 6PM, there were only about 10 other people in this rather large restaurant. The decor is formal but I was not uncomfortable in jeans and most of the other patrons were dressed casually as well.

They have many of the the Thai staples - Red, Green, Massaman and Panang curries, Thai basil dishes, seafood selections, Tom Kha Guy and Tom Yum soups and more.

I opted for the Green Curry with Beef. Prior to ordering, I was served those styrofoam-like shrimp cakes with sweet Thai sauce for dipping. The green curry beef was served in a huge pot, easily enough food for two people and a pot of rice equally large. I ate all of the green curry and soaked up much of the sauce with the remaining rice.

The veggies in the green curry were fresh and plentiful. The Thai eggplant and sweet peppers, Thai basil leaves and other ingredients all tasted fresh. The spice was mild for my taste, but it tasted very good.

The server was attentive and friendly.

I did not order any appetizers, drinks or dessert. My total bill was 240kr (About $40 USD) which is on par with the rest of Oslo for a dinner meal. I would like to revisit this place. (They don't have Thai Iced Tea, unfortunately)

• Visited October 2011