“Nice room, excellent breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Thon Hotel Ullevaal Stadion
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sognsveien 77c, Oslo 0855, Norway   |
Ranked #29 of 86 Hotels in Oslo
Trondheim, Norway
“Nice room, excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This time I stayed in a single room. Less luxurious than the doubles: no couch and coffee maker, but still a very nice room. This hotel is very modern and stylish. The breakfast in the Egon restaurant is exceptionally good. The rooms facing the main entrance might have some noise from the nearby train. The beds are excellent. Ullevål stadion offers a small shopping area in addition to the sports arena itself.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing away from the main entrance to avoid train noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is quite new, so everything is clean and doesn't look like really "used".
Rooms have a bed, 2 tables (coffee-table and table for working),chair and armchair, wardrobe, LCD-TV. There are a teapot and minibar in the rooms also.

The area where hotel locates is very quite and nice. Not really noisy if you got a room not on the metro-side. Can be not really convenient for the people working in the city center or else(takes some time to get there) but for the travelers working at the same area - very good choice.

Breakfast is very good and served by Egon restaurant-network.
There is also food-supermarket close to the hotel and shops, besides of the fact there is stadion.

I think it's one of the best hotels I'd experienced in Oslo (travel there during last 3 years, once per 2 months).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I checked in 10/21/2011 and out 10/23/2011. I have mixed feelings about this property. First- as mentioned- the location is away from it out. A bit far. I can't complain much about this because I knew this prior to booking it. So in that sense, the location is fine. There are a few shops nearby. The main issues: after checking in (the front desk guys were very friendly btw), I discovered an open can of meat spread along with a few other items in the refrigerator. I called the desk and they came to check it and discovered that a beer was also missing. They restocked it, no problem. But it made me feel a bit awkward especially with an item missing. Later the bathroom shower gel was empty. I pulled the empty bottle out of the dispenser so housekeeping would replace it. They did, but upon inspection, they replaced it with "hand soap".....I wasn't too worried about this but figured who'd want to wash their hair with something that said "hand soap". I told the front desk that maybe housekeeping needed more training. The internet was having issues but I found that after logging it (it stay said I couldn't log-in), once you close the window and open a new one or a new tab, it was actually connected even though it said that I couldn't log-in due to an invalid log-in. My final concern was at check out. They are having major issues with their booking program. I did read other reviews about this and then it happened to me. They couldn't find my reservation and asked if I prepaid. I said yes and they assured me that it wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, once home I noticed another charge on my credit card. I was double charged. I called and talked to Linn, who was very lovely and helpful. I don't blame her personally but wish that they'll fix their booking problems- Ullevaal Hotel charged me after I was already charged by HotelClub. To make things worse, they refunded the cheapest of the 2 charges and I also lost $5 or $6 do to the currency fluctuation.....plus the cost of my international phone call to them, their mistake literally was costly for me. I did like the room very much and I found the staff to be helpful and friendly, breakfast great, I must be clear about this. If paying cash, you likely won't have a problem with booking:)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
LarsPetterMathisen, General Manager at Thon Hotel Ullevaal Stadion, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear guest,
Thanks for your review of our hotel.
First of all I will apologies for your several incidents. Cause of this we have spoken and done some exercise in housekeeping apartment, so this will not happen again. I am also sorry for your inconvenient in Front office during check in and out, this is cause of we implement a new IT system the 18. october, and know I am happy to tell that we are better with the new system.

I hope to see you at the hotel soon again, so we can you a better experience.
Brighton and Tuscany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Slightly unnerving from outside and the taxi driver didn't know where the front door was. But inside minimalist, efficient and clean. Good quality and value in Oslo. But not sure about the 'campsite bar' feel to the on site restaurant. lots of sports nostalgia but lost amongst the log cabin design, mediocre food and offhand service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your nice review.
I hope you will stay at other hotel also next time you visit Oslo.
Have a nice day!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is a very nice, modern hotel with a great location and breakfast.
Walk to the T-Bahn in 3 minutes
Located in the Stadium, it's also convenient to UiO campus & only 15 minute T ride to downtown Oslo. There is a bus stop right outside to get the bus to the Oslo airport. The hotel has a 50% discount on that airport bus.
The staff is very friendly & the rooms are clean/modern.

Overall rating 5/5.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front doors gives a view to the ice hockey players Breakfast selections are gr...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your nice review.
I will tell our staff about their friendly and good service:)
Welcome back and have a nice day.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have stayed on a few occassions. It is newly refurbished, clean, comfortable, with free wifi, tea/coffee facilities in the room and in close proximity to the subway system. The Egon restaurant chain attached is not actually part of the hotel, although breakfast is served there - so you cannot take a drink to your room... not sure about room service either.

As a regular in hotels, I think it is pretty decent - not outstanding but definitely acceptable and would be perfect for anyone attending the staduim for football.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room over the restaurant as one room I entered smelt of frying
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
LarsPetterMathisen, General Manager at Thon Hotel Ullevaal Stadion, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review. It is possible to order room service frog Egon restaurant to your room.
I hope that you will come back and visit us again.

Best regards, Lars Petter
Pelham, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I was working with a distributor close to this area and was put up there. The hotel was clean and typical. Small room and beds, free internet and decent breakfast. I suppose it gets great business when there is a soccer match as it is attached to the stadium.

No complaints at all - would recommend for those not picky and are nearby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
LarsPetterMathisen, Manager at Thon Hotel Ullevaal Stadion, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear guest,
Thanks a lot for your good description of our hotel.
Welcome back another time.
Best regard,
Lars Petter Mathisen

Been to Thon Hotel Ullevaal Stadion? Share your experiences!