“Great group dining experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 72 Restaurants in Tromso
Cuisines: Norwegian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Restaurant with table service. Traditional food, fish, seafood, sea mammals. Located in an old stone house on the quayside in central Tromso
“Great group dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My work colleagues and I (about 25 of us) came here last Saturday for our final meal before travelling back to the UK, and I was pleasantly surprised with all that this steakhouse had to offer.

I had the trout to start, which despite resembling your average salmon starter, was very good and certainly set the meal up well. The steak main came with potato wedges, onion ring, jalapeno cheese popper and mozzarella stick, and was cooked very well, although we didn't get to specify how we wanted it cooked. The Norwegian porridge dessert was very similar to what we think of as creme caramel, but still nice nonetheless.

Considering we were such a large group, the service was very patient, and managed to ensure our wine glasses were continually topped up.

I did experience a bit of food envy - even though the steak was good - when a member of our party ordered the ribs. They looked huge and apparently they were extremely nice. That would probably be my recommendation for main if you're looking for one!

Overall, I'd definitely recommend Skarven as a place for groups to dine, but for that reason it's probably not ideal for couples looking for romance.

• Visited March 2013

Seoul, South Korea
“Like the ambience, and the ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Went there for dinner. Had the bacalao, a white fish I've not really heard about so far but I've got to try it. The waiter was very helpful with the recommendations and explanation of the dish. Being a wannabe chef, I'm always curious about food. So this is a white fish fillet on a bed of carrots and topped with diced bacon. Nice combination. Really enjoyed it. Goes well with Mack beer too.

Finished off my dinner with a raspberry and vanilla ice cream dessert. Price is reasonable for Norwegian standard but of course on the expensive side compared to anywhere else.

The interior is dimly lit but still very informal and pub-like. Which is good, didn't have the feeling that the guests have to be uptight to eat there. Look around at the ornaments and decor. Only complain is that the washrooms were in Norwegian. So I had to open the door to make sure it's the men's room.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Arcantandria - tasty great Norwegian fish restaurant - must eat here!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If youre a vegetarian - this place is not for you - other then that - amazing food, clean jonest looking restaurant and lovely staff - great service. Its centrall location just 5 mins walk from the radisson blu near the docks. I warn you book a table in advance if you can - it's a very popular place. We had three course (shared dessert), with a glass of wine and a few beers, the bill was approx £120.
Starters
My husband had the sea taster platter which looked amazing! It had a little taste of everything inthe Norwegian Sea basically and he thought it was some of the best fish he had ever tasted. It had seal, whale, scallops, cod fish tongue,mussels, salmon and I think shrimp and squid?? We asked the waiter for recommendation and this is what he suggested, he told us it had reindeer on the platter too but he was wrong so he got us some reindeer to try on the house which was nice of them. I had a crab starter with a buttery lobster colour looking sauce which was great, so fresh, so simple but tasty - really lovely food.
Mains we had cod with veg - some of the most chunkiest freshest tastiest cod we've ever eaten. For a cold country which imports everything - the veg was actually brilliant - so flavoursome.
Dessert - pannacotta with choc ice cream and brownies - it was different to how Ive had this kinda dessert before, it was presented and tasted different too - good! Crumbly crunchy brownie with a intense choc ice realm and little teaspoons of pannacotta on the edge of the dessert.
I would defo recommend and revisit - a real taste of the Norwegian seas! Good service, lovely ambience and great views.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Biffhaus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Sunday for dinner as it is one of the few places open on a Sunday night in Tromso. The food was very tasty and the service excellent. On the night they had run out of reindeer and lamb, but that was not a problem for us as we were after fish. The king crab soup was delicious for a starter, as was the half dried cod for main. The cod was accompanied by a carrot stew and bacon, overall a very tasty dish. It was marginally less expensive than some of the other restaurants in town at £150 for two people (£30 of which was for two beers and a glass of wine).

Abergavenny
“Lunch Time Munchies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We visited the pub area here on two occasions during our trip as we really enjoyed the soup and bread lunches. Both times there were large tureens of delicious soup. There was a creamy fish soup to which you could add shrimps and a tomato-ey vegetable fish soup which had a delicious, intense flavour.

One day they were very short staffed but everyone was very polite and we weren't in a hurry so it was fine! seems to be used by locals as well as tourists - lots of people sitting around reading newspapers. Nice atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013