“Good value for money, central” 4 of 5 stars

AMI Hotel Tromso
Skolegata 24, Tromso 9008, Norway   |
Ranked #5 of 17 hotels in Tromso
cape town
“Good value for money, central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed as a single traveller in December 2012. I was a bit apprehensive about the 'long uphill walk' based on previous reviews, but found this to be more than manageable - I even managed to lug my suitcase up the icy hill in the midst of winter, so this wasn't so bad at all.

I was also surprised at how centrally the hotel is located - while maps and previous reviews indicate it as being sort of on the periphery of the town, it is within very easy walking distance of everything in the town centre.

While maybe a bit more of a bnb / high grade hostel than a hotel, I found the facilities more than adequate, and of a high standard. The internet access was great, and breakfast quite adequate - the coffee machine was a real plus!

Would definitely recommend for single travellers, though many couples and families about during my stay. Will definitely stay there again if I'm ever lucky enough to visit Tromso again...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Udon Thani, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I went to Tromso by myself. Only me. I couldn't find any hostel or shared dorm hostel in Tromso. I read a review about this hotel in Thailand website. The reviewer said this place is one of the cheapest room price in Tromso. I found that it's true. My single room with wash sink is very comfortable. It's value the money. The breakfast was good. The staff was friendly. He's so kind. Its location is great. It's near downtown, not far from flybussen stop. But you need to walk on the hill to get to the hotel. If you have a large luggage, I think you will tired to get there (like me haha). My room was in 2nd floor. The view isn't beautiful as the top floor but it's okay.

• Stayed September 2013
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great hotel, buffet breakfast cannot be faulted always plenty to eat to set you up for the day. Set on a Hill which is qute steep, we went in February so took the long way round as the steps looked a little daunting in the snow :-) We visited Norway so we could experience the Northern Lights and we were not dissapointed, we saw them when we went into the Mountains for the dog sledding and we were also lucky to see them from the Ami hotel itself, just amazing !!!! Would definate recommend this hotel if staying in Tromso.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We got the room at the top floor. Very nice and clean for 3 person and we share resting area with another room.
But remember, it's a guest house, don't expect luxury. Steep stairs.

Very good buffet breakfast and they even have Kavli jalopeno melt cheese :)

Location is very close to city center and walking street.
Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited in January to see the lights. It was polar night still for the first half of our trip, so it was nice to stay somewhere with a homely, cosy vibe like AMI Hotel. Although the kitchen/lounge aren't huge our room (boyfriend and I sharing a room with a basin) was more than big enough - there was even area to chill out on the floor with sofas and some games.
Other visitors were friendly and enjoyed a chat. I guess in that season most people are there to see the lights anyway, so it's nice to swap stories over breakfast. To be honest, if this place wasn't so reasonably priced (by Norwegian standards) then seeing them probably wouldn't have been possible for us. I felt we got a lot for what we paid, with the free breakfast and drinks a big help towards food costs. Even though the kitchen isn't that big there's a fridge in your room where you can keep food you've bought to cook - we didn't eat out once when we were there. Wifi was pretty good, we were checking weather/solar activity each night as we were driving out ourselves, so would have been pretty impossible to find out where to go if the internet wasn't working!

The location is perfect, close to town (then again, nothing is far away in Tromso) and AMI is on a hill, so I loved stepping out to a view of the city every morning. Inside there are some helpful brochures/maps/the usual about things to see and do. I think an advantage of looking for the lights here is that there's still so much to see and do in the town that it's not a wasted journey. I'd recommend the Polaria, the modern art museum, the polar museum and the Arctic Cathedral, although I'm sad we didn't see the stained glass in the daylight. Our bad.

The only cons were that I feel like the parking could have been explained a bit better for those arriving late - don't park across the road (opposite the lounge), you need to park behind the back of the building. We didn't get a ticket so no biggie. Also booking a double room was two beds pushed together (and inevitably separating) so would have preferred a real double bed.

Overall though the whole experience was magic, it was nice to have somewhere with a homely, Nordic feel for nights in where the bad weather meant we couldn't go out looking for the lights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Ami Hotel was perfect for us in our last 3 days in Norway. Very clean, comfortable and homey, and very well priced. The communal kitchen is well stocked, and much appreciated given the costs of food in Norway.

Room Tip: View facing the town is very nice. Just use ear plugs if concerned about noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed there for 2 nites. Friendly helpfull staff. Booked a rooms 'basic cat' with washing sink only. Beds very narrow, I nearly felt out. Shower and toillett on the same floor. Very clean. Breakfast with a good choice of food and beverages, bread etc. During the day free coffee, tea and no prob to hang out in the cosy living/breakfast room untill late departure. Internet works poor these days. Price: cant make up a mind as Norway is no low cost destination. Anyhow searching for specials in other cities there my be more reasonable offers available.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AMI Hotel Tromso? Share your experiences!