“Pay a bit extra and stay somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

You added ABC Hotell to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parkgata 4, Tromso 9008, Norway   |
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Geelong, Australia
“Pay a bit extra and stay somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Other reviews have questioned whether this is an hotel or hostel and that is a big part of the problem right there. Which is it? Neither is my answer. It doesn't really have the facilities of a hotel and it lacks the stuff that makes hostels work. The lobby is really shabby and doesn't make for a good impression. In my room, a single, I had to put up with a really noisy mini fridge that woke me up whenever it changed tune. There was mould in the shower, that's enough said about cleanliness I think. The whole place felt dreary and as though everything had been done on the cheap. The curtains didn't even cover the window properly and this time of year it's quite light outside in the north. The door to the room wasn't properly fitted so the light from the hallway beamed in. Even the sheet didn't fit, there wasn't enough of it to be tucked in, so after a nights sleep it was tugged up enough that I could see some stains on the mattress, ugh. Whoever is behind it is counting pennies I think. Don't rely on the wifi, it rarely worked in my room on the third floor, but usually worked in the communal room. The positive to this place is the staff, they were excellent, really helpful and friendly. Given my time again, I would pay a bit more to stay somewhere else. Oh, apparently it's 100 NOK to use the washing machine, so I didn't.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

I had a fab 10 days in The ABC hotel at the start of March. For the money it was everything I wanted and more. The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly, I had fresh towels everyday and a great free wifi connection from my room. My bed was comfy although quite narrow and I saved lots of money from being able to cook meals in the kitchen.

The free waffles and jam were a lovely bonus that I wasn't expecting as well!

10/10

Room Tip: The best wifi connection is on the top floor
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Sierra Vista
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

My wife and I had an excellent stay at this property. Upon check-in, Simon at the front desk informed us we'd been upgraded to an apartment (we'd only booked a double room with shared bathroom). This alone was music to our ears, and the apartment had two bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, front hall, and living room with view out towards the Arctic Cathedral and flat screen TV.

The location was perfect - a 5-minute walk to almost anywhere in downtown Tromsø, and a grocery store right around the corner (much cheaper, in Norway, to buy groceries than to eat out). We stocked our fridge and made ourselves at home. The heat worked great - almost drove us out! And the bedding was warm even if the mattresses were a little stiff. Water was hot and pressure was strong - one strange thing we noticed is that the tiny window in the bathroom had no shade or curtain, but whatever - we improvised. One other caveat: walls were thin and we could hear our upstairs neighbors, who were a little rowdy.

The free waffles in the evening were delicious and helped us save on food costs, and were also good for socializing with other travelers. The breakfast spread has some mainland staples like cereals and jam and bread, but also some "caviar" and a very strong cheese, as well as sliced bell peppers. I highly recommend including the breakfast in your room rate as it's a much better price than anything you could get elsewhere, and at such an early hour.

Front desk staff were competent, friendly, and helped us out with directions and excursion bookings, and basically saw to it that our every need was met and that we had a great time. Would recommend wholeheartedly and would 100% return.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the apartment, but be aware the walls were thin.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2015

Stayed for 3 nights in this very clean and friendly hotel.

Reception staff were very helpful in pointing out places to visit and things do to. They even gave me a lift down to a sister hotel in the centre of town when needed.

The room was clean and spacious considering the price. Shared shower room was also impeccably clean and delightfully toasty after a long evening aurora watching. Free waffles were a welcome boost before starting such an evening.

Would highly recommend this hotel for the price.

From a very happy costumer

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2015

This small hotel is in a great location in Tromso, very close to the centre and all the shops. Its warm and pleasant and the staff were very friendly while we were there. We had a double room with an ensuite and it was clean, warm and had everything you would need; the shower was good, the bed was very comfortable and it had a desk and a mini-fridge which guests can use.
We didn't buy the breakfast but the hotel allows you to use the kitchen through the day and it was well equipped. They also do free waffles every evening and have coffee and tea available. The wifi in most of the rooms is quite weak but in the guest dining room/lounge area it's fine. Its up on a hill so you have reasonable views out over the water and we found it very easy to spot the Northern Lights from a lake just above where the hotel is (about 15mins walk). Definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Catherine H,

thank you so much for your review. Warms our hearts when we get such nice feedback. We have improved the wifi now, so if you ever consider coming back (Tromsø is a totally different city during summer by the way) we have improved just a bit more then last time :-)

Best regards

Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

I am writing this review from my room at ABC during the first night of a 4 night stay. I booked a hotel room with 3 single beds, but upon arrival we were placed in a small studio that reeks of cigarette smoke--not as though someone smoked in there last night, but as though someone had been chain-smoking in there for the past 20 years. It is like trying to sleep in a casino. It is beyond disgusting. What is more, we ourselves (all non-smokers) were asked to sign a document stating that we would not smoke when we signed in.The hotel has promised to move us to a different room tomorrow night, but this is quite simply unacceptable. My eyes are burning and I can hardly breathe. The smoke smell is in the sheets, in the mattress, in the pillows, in the walls. I am more than satisfied with basic accomodations without extras, and we could deal with the room if it did not smell of smoke. As it is, however, the management should be ashamed of itself.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Hello Babs M,

thank you for your feedback. This is something that shouldnt happen of course. Clearly the guest before you had broken this rule. We apologize for the bad experience, and will use this feedback to improve.

Have a good day!

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

We spent quite some time locating this hotel by car and finally managed to drive along a narrow path up on the hill to the hotel. Walkable distance to convenient stores and supermarkets. After all, the city centre is small. We stayed in a small room, with really nice view overlooking the whole of Tromso. However, wifi connection in the room was not good. Breakfast was just okay but it's no doubt a nice place to stay. Our car was just parked next to the front door of the hotel. I think there are a total of 6 parking lots for hotel guests so no worries about nowhere to park your car.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Tangbili!

Thank you for your nice review. Glad you found the hotel in the end, the roads of Tromsø are not very orderly. Thanks to your feedback we have managed to stabilize the network now. It is correct that we have 6 parking spots, and are propably listed as one of the cheapest in the city per night.
If you come back we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Have a nice day!

ABC Hotell

Been to ABC Hotell? Share your experiences!