“Random, surreal and quite long” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 55 Activities in Tromso
More attraction details
Owner description: GuideGunnar`s vision is to show those who arrive Tromsø and the Arctic Norway, the beautiful nature and the maritime environment. I will see to that they will go home, bringing something special with them. To succeed with this, we have chosen to work with quality before quantity, which again keeps us from organizing tours with too large groups. The foundation of this increment of quality, is the co-operation between several firms.

The benefit will be that the clients will get more out of the trip and the experience of the nature itself, while they also more easily will get in contact with the other guests. We who work with this, will also have more time for each individual guest. GuideGunnar`s aim is that our guests to Tromsø, will see the experience of the nature as the main ingredient of the total experience. GuideGunnar have the last five years run a "Theatre of Food" in a sami tent on the island Kvaløya, 35 km west of the city, but closed the kitchen in April 2012. A new base camp are building up on the island Ringvassøya, 40 km north of Tromsø, and here GG will have a B&B and a new kitchen with higher standard for better service.
kyreniA
“Random, surreal and quite long”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

What a thrill, trucking around the remote Norwegian-Finnish border at all hours in -18 cold! The chase was very exciting and the result was fantastic - surreal even!

From the start we didn't know what to expect and what the night would look like but we just went with the flow and Gunnar was very friendly and jovial encouraging us all along.

The bus was very comfortable, which is essential as we were on it from around 6pm until 4am. It was a very long trip and we were wrecked the next day but seeing the northern lights is really a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Advice: take lots of snacks with you for the road and even a travel pillow/ blanket to sleep on the bus and warm warm warm layers of clothes! Research and, if you can, buy the type of camera needed for capturing the lights (I naively showed up with my iPhone!) Gunnar will help you with the settings and take your picture anyway but it is important to know what you are doing with your camera in advance as when you are outside the conditions can be harsh and it's not the time to mess with your camera.

I believe that Gunnar was Joanna Lumley's guide, when she was making a travel programme, so he is well known and you should book well in advance.

Visited March 2014

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
“Fabulous experience -one we will remember for a long time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had no idea what to expect but were thrilled with the outcome of our Northern lights trip. We have been on a couple more tours since arriving in Tromso but nothing compares to the competence,determination and enthusiasm of Gunnar to show us the lights. ( wish we 'd booked a second night with him, but unfortunately he was booked up). We had an amazing display of the dancing Aurora which our children are still talking about, despite spending most of the evening rolling around in the snow! The camp fire, snack and warm drink completed the evening. What more could you ask for? Did I mention the shooting stars. So perfect.

If you want a real northern lights experience Gunnar is the best :-D

Thank you Gunnar.

We will definitely be back to experience your other tours when our children are a bit older.

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“the real deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I went on a Northern Light trip with Gunnar last week on a short break to Tromso. After a previous unsuccessful attempt to see the lights in Iceland, I appreciate to see these is not a guarantee and to give us the best chance I booked 3 different trips with different groups.

I have to say, (not being bias as Gunnar's was the only successful trip), it was also by far the most professional and enjoyable. Unlike other companies, you really got the feeling that not only did Gunnar love the lights, nature and sharing his knowledge of his Country, he enjoyed job and was not just about making money.

From the moment he picked us up , we were impressed with his professional nature. It was a smooth and comfortable journey in a nice bus rather than the bumpy ride we had in with other older vehicles driven inconsiderately. He also kept us informed of where we were travelling and why. He gave us information on local areas and even how to call the local moose! We were offered warm clothing, drinks, snacks, advised of time to comfort breaks and even built a fire when we stopped to see a fantastic light show. He even offered to take photos for everyone. I cant wait to receive this as a momento of a fantastic experience.

We went just outside Finnish border and were returned back to our doorstep by about 2am and Gunnar wasnt clock watching as others seemed to do.

I definately recommend Gunnar way above any other company and urge people to book in advance so they are not disappointed. Please dont be fooled by other companies being a little cheaper. They do not give the same service or give you the same amount of time. It is better to pay a little more and get more for your money and more chance to see this beautiful wonder with someone who actually knows the best way to find them.

Thank you Gunnar and hope to see you again one day!

Sydney, Australia
“An experience never to be forgotten!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked two trips out with Guide Gunnar in March 2013 and were fortunate enough to see the Auroras both nights. The first night there was a lot of cloud and conditions were far from ideal, but we did manage to see Aurora displays throughout the night. Conditions the second night were similar, but Gunnar was persistent and determined, and thanks to his knowledge, experience, and his network of contacts, we saw the most amazing display of lights over a period of a few hours. Each display was incredible - the evening sky came alive with movement and colour as the Auroras teased and taunted us with her enchanting dance. She put on four performances that night; each lasting from 10 to 40 minutes, each more incredible than the last. After each performance,we thought she was finished, that was it, but Gunnar told us to wait; believing there would be more -and there were. Our patience was rewarded with the most amazing show, including seeing a corona, which is like a vortex directly above you. This was an experience I will never forget, and will always be grateful to Guide Gunnar for making a lifelong dream of mine come true...I absolutely recommend Guide Gunnar to anyone wanting the best opportunity possible for seeing the Northern Lights.

Visited March 2013
Madrid, Spain
“Phenomenal night in the wilderness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Gunnar drove us out to a beautiful valley next to a frozen lake (that we could walk on) and a beautiful bay. Right from the beginning, we could see hundreds of stars and a thin band of the lights to the north. We were all very impressed, but Gunnar told us that there'd be more to come - and there certainly was. By the end of the night, the entire sky had been filled with the lights - we'd seen them dancing, coming down at us, some red/violet and even a few coronas! It was one of the most amazing things I've seen in my entire life and far exceeded my expectations (which were pretty high, having flown all the way to the arctic circle to see them). Over the course of the evening, Gunnar made us very comfortable. He provided snowsuits and boots, which many of us wore over our own winter gear. There was also a fire going for most of the night, which let you warm up when you were getting too cold. Gunnar was incredibly accommodating - I had shown up on the wrong night for a more expensive tour than the one I had booked and he let me come along anyway. This happy accident meant that I ended up on the dinner trip, which I highly recommend. The vegetable stew was amazing (almost everyone had seconds), and the perfect thing for a cold night. He also had a traditional hot drink, beer, soda, water and Norwegian dessert. Another great component of this trip is the photographs - Gunnar takes pictures of the lights that you see on your trip and also took pictures of each of us standing in front of the lights. Being a point and shoot kind of person, I couldn't manage to get any of the lights to show up in my pictures, but I'll still have a great set when he emails them to us. The whole night was magical, and I couldn't be happier with the experience. Thanks Gunnar!!!