“Lovely hotel with fabulous views” 4 of 5 stars

Rica Ishavshotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Fr Langesgate 2, Tromso 9008, Norway   |
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in Tromso
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with fabulous views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel at the end of a Northern Lights tour and it was a wonderful way to finish the trip. The hotel exterior is very atrractive, as is the maritime themed restaurant. The room was large with two extremenly comfortable double beds and a fantastic view across the river. The breakfast was absolutely superb, especially the freshly made smoothies. The location is also excellent, witht he airport bus stopping right outside the hotel. We would definately recommend to any one visiting the town and would absolutely stay again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Magnar S, Leder  at Rica Ishavshotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Hi.
Thanks for the kind words from you. We hope you got to experience the Northern Lights, and that you want to come back on another occasion.

349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alesund, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A somewhat old, perfectly located hotel, with a very good breakfast (fresh orange juice and all that).
The room was good, clean, super bed(!)
A bathroom dore was so squeaky I was afraid to awake the neighbours. :) A sink had a burned spot in it... Very weird.
Otherwise a good hotel and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Magnar S, Leder  at Rica Ishavshotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello and thank you for your kind feedback.
As you probably noticed that we are renovating the hotel. Reopening will be in April 2014. We are opening up 34 new rooms, which 10 are suites.
In addition, the reception and the restaurant appear to be brand new as well. We look forward to your return next time.
Verona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Excelent position, of course you have to arrive before 16 to have your room guaranted. But it is super! We also had dinner at the restaurant and it was amazing! Have a drink at the bar: the view is wonderful!

• Stayed September 2013
Magnar S, Leder  at Rica Ishavshotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello, thank you for your kind feedback, and that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. It is not necessary to get to the hotel until four o'clock, but to be safe, we recommend that you call in and report when you get to the hotel if it is late, just to be on the safe side.

We welcome you back on another occasion.
Haifa, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I arrived at the Rica Ishavshotel on the night between Wednesday, Sep. 18 and Thursday, Sep. 19 at twenty minutes after midnight after a very long plain journey (13 hours) with two stop-overs. Upon arriving at the hotel I was surprised to learn that although my room was ordered and paid for, the hotel gave it to someone else, and I simply did not have a room. The clerk at the reception told me that he, too, does not have a good reply to the question why they gave me room to another person. He notified me that all other hotels in Tromso are fully booked, and thus he cannot assist me in finding another room in another hotel. He only suggested that he will give me a conference hall into which a convertible bed on wheels be put. The conference hall did not, of course, have any toilets, sink or shower. I found myself having to brush my teeth in a public toilet. I could not shower. I am not a young person, and during the night, when I need to use the toilet, I had to leave that conference hall and walk around the hotel, one floor down, to use in their public toilet. At 7:30 a.m., after a very bad night, I received another room, which was probably evacuated earlier, so at least I could shower and shave before attending the conference in which I participated at the University of Tromso (I am a university professor).
My paper was due that morning, and the very bad night I spent at the Rica Ishavshotel had its clear effects on my performance when delivering the paper and on the discussion that pursued my paper.
The clerk said that there are no vacant rooms in any other hotel in the whole of Tromso. At the time I was too exhausted to think about it, but in retrospect this seems to me to be, well, very surprising. Tromso is not a tiny place, and there are many hotels there. I wonder whether the hotel did not simply prefer to save for itself the trouble and expenses of paying for my room in another hotel, so that I will agree to sleep in that unpleasant conference room.
I expected that after such a serious failing, the hotel manager would come to talk with me and apologize. That did not happen. They seemed not to care. Only after I told the receptionist, on the evening of Thursday, Sept. 19th, how surprised I was that no one came to apologize or to try to explain what happened, the manager of the hotel came, the moring after (Friday, Sept. 20th) to talk with me.
The hotel manager said they have a policy of overbooking. Thus, people who order rooms sometimes find themselves with no rooms. I think that it is wrong of them to have this policy. It seems to me too greedy. My room was pre-paid for by Tromso University, they would have received the money for it if I didn’t show up, and they should not try to earn on it twice the fees and put their guests in the situation they put me. Indeed, many hotels do not have this policy just in order to avoid situations such as I experienced. I know that flight companies do have overbooking policies, but there the consequences are not as bad. If all people show up, the flight companies pay some people extra money for agreeing to delay their flights. In hotels, of course, this cannot happen. There was no reason in the world (except excessive greed and disrespect for hotel’s guests) for giving my room to another person.
Seeing how angry I was, the manger offered me a free meal in the hotel’s restaurant, or some money. I did not want to take any of that. I do not need the money or a free supper. What I do need, however, is to know that when I come to a hotel in which a room is reserved for me the room will be available. I do not need the money, I need to have a good night sleep in a clean and quiet room. That was not supplied by the hotel.
In the web page of the Rica Ishavshotel they brag about their excellent breakfast, beautiful rooms, etc. All that is much less important than keeping your part of an agreement or of a deal in an honest way. If you agreed to give me a room, do so, and respect yourselves and the people with whom you are dealing. I understand that the Rica Chain wants to maximize its earnings. But avarice can sometimes make you behave in ugly and indecent ways, that hurts the people with whom you interact. Skimming through clients notes of the hotel, I saw that this is not the first time that they perform this unpleasant trick on their guests (see review of February 14, 2013, in the “terrible” category). It’s their policy. I wonder how many other guests have suffered this type indecency at the Rica chain but have not written reviews. So if you wish to know that when you arrive you will indeed have the room you ordered, I advise you to think twice before choosing this hotel.
The room for me was ordered and paid for by the University of Tromso. I reported this to the university, and recommended to them not to use the services of this hotel any more. They said they will take this seriously, and consider following my advice. Since the University of Tromso already booked me in this hotel for the whole span of the conference, I had not choice but to continue to stay in this unpleasant hotel, but in the future I will never use again the service of this hotel or the services of any other hotel of this Rica chain. You, the reader, may choose to do as you see fit. But if you want to know that when you arrive at a hotel you will indeed have the room you ordered and expect to have, so that you will not have to sleep (perhaps with your family) in a conference hall, you may well think twice before choosing this hotel or chain.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hi
First and foremost, we are sorry that your experience at Rica Ishavshotel was not satisfactory, and that we unfortunately had to resort to a workaround for the first night.

It's not like Rica Ishavshotel or Rica generally want to deceive customers. In this case there were a number of unfortunate circumstances that created this situation.

We regret what happened, and have learned from this. We will do what we can to ensure this does not happen again. We hope you will give Rica another chance in the future, and welcome you back.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Spectacular breakfast buffet. I loved the views of the water and the mountains from inside the restaurant with the huge windows. Boats heading for the North Pole and Hurtigruten boats would often be in front, which made me want to travel even more northwards.
Just to walk outside and see the northern lights reflected in the water was exhilarating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view on the water, the back side is a lot less interesting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Magnar S, Leder  at Rica Ishavshotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello, thank you for your kind feedback, and that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. It sounds like everything worked out for you during your stay in Tromsø this time.

Welcome back to us another time. 1 April 2014, the hotel renovated with 34 new rooms, new restaurant and kitchen.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel is located near to the central bus station and walking distance to the central of the town where you can find restaurants and shops. It is a busy hotel, as during our stay, there were a few business functions/conferences being held at the hotel, so could get crowded sometimes. Room is small, but clean. The sea view was ok, but not something I would pay extra bucks for. Breakfast was amazing with extensive spread. The hotel does offer some activities bookings, but the machine in the hall just does not seem to work well. After a few tries I gave up and went online to book. Rica and the hotel opposite seem to be some of the major pick up points for the activities, so it is quite convenient to stay here.

The stay is comfortable, and I think the hotel is considered to be of good standard in local context.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Magnar S, Manager at Rica Ishavshotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hello
Thanks for the nice feedback. We are glad you had a good time at our hotel. Welcome back on another occasion.

Best regards
Magnar Slåtto
HR Manager.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Having visited Tromso in early 2012, I had wanted to return and be able to stay at this hotel. Our room on the fifth floor was clean, comfortable with a fantastic power shower and amazing view across the sound by the bridge over to the Arctic Cathedral. It was a really warm day and infact the room was very warm come the morning with the sun blazing in!
Staff were chatty and helpful.
We did not eat dinner in the hotel but it did look very inviting. Breakfast was definitely the best we experienced in Norway, fabulous choice from fruit and pastries, breakfast shots, fish and meats, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes etc plus freshly cooked waffles, pancakes and omlettes - delicious.
The only negative was parking - we were advised about meter parking but there was no where near by that was free so the hotel offers at ticket for spaces in public parking close by for K270, about £30, it did cover us until 1700 the next day but we were leaving to get our flight by 1100! Having been able to park easily and for free everywhere else we had travelled in North Norway, this came as a bit of a shock!
However, I would not hesitate recommending this hotel and it is a good base for exploring Tromso city.

Room Tip: Get one with a harbour view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hello
Thanks for the nice words. Parking in the city center is a challenge when we do not have our own space for parking. Capacity is unfortunately blown up. It is free to park in the city from 1700 and the next day so the price is not very high if you put the car in a municipal parking lot.

Best regards
Magnar Slåtto
HR Manager

Been to Rica Ishavshotel? Share your experiences!