“Average to poor quality” 3 of 5 stars

Scandic Tromso
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heiloveien 23, Tromso 9269, Norway   |
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Average to poor quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Gave it three stars since the breakfast was okay but the rooms have minimum facilities. No papers / napkins, no plastic garbage bags, no extra pillow, two sheets covers on a queen bed that doesn't fit properly ending up pulling itself off during the night and curling under you. Very averagely cleaned. The price is very little less than the much better ranked hotels so I don't know if it is worth it...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kjell Olav P, General Manager at Scandic Tromso, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear MorningRainDrops.

Thank you for your review. It is very important for us to be able to improve our service.

Wish you all the best for the summer.

Kjell Olav Pettersen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Helsinki
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

If you are a member of Scandic chain's frequent guest program, as I am, then be alerted. Scandic Hotels no longer offer free early check in or late check out. What a shock I had upon arrival here a Scandic Tromso. I had requested early check in months ago but was instead offered to pay a fee for early check in or I could wait in the bar area (they don't have a proper lobby with chairs here). This is a disasterous move on Scandic's part so I don't fault the hotel per se. I was told I could check into my room at no additional cost after 3pm. After searching for information on Scandic's website, I found that they claim, "The hotel room will be at your disposal from 14.00 pm on the day of arrival." So when I pointed this out to reception the women finagled a bit before finally allowing me to check in at 2pm.

I have stayed here before and reviewed this hotel here on Tripadvisor but this will be the last time I stay here, or perhaps any Scandic Hotel until they do better to live up to the ironic newly changed title of their frequent guest program, "Friends."

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kjell Olav P, General Manager at Scandic Tromso, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Robin Locksley.

I am very sorry for your experience. We have been a little to eager to implement new procedures. Looking back it is easy to see that you should have been offered a room, free of charge, as soon as one was ready. When implementing new standards it is crusial that we use our common sence in the first period of time and your experience gave us a lesson.

I hope you will visit us again and I ensure that next time your early arrival or late departure will be free of charge.

Wish you all the best for the summer!

Pieterlen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located near the Airport and a bit outside the City, however, you can reach the City Center within a few minutes. Although close to the Airport, it's very quiet during the night.

The first night we had a room which looked a bit old, but when we came back 2 weeks later we were given a much nicer room and one which was facing the fjord. Okay, you got to be in the third floor, otherwise the big industrial area underneath the hotel might be disturbing you.

The bathroom is not very big and still has a bathtub. So it's a bit tricky to take a shower for elderly people.

Breaktfast was fine. Sometimes we had to wait for a clean table. The tables were free, but not cleaned from the previous guests. The staff was a bit slow.

Room Tip: If you like to watch the midnight sun ask for a room on the Fjord side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mizzi22.

Thank you for your review and we wish you a great summer!

Best regadrs

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We continued our Scandinavian tour from Kilpisjarvi to Troms, Norway. The way is magnificient. Views are just great and the road goes along the deep canyons, I wouldn't wan't to be a taxi driver here.

The hotel was OK during our stay, the staff helped us tipping about the good activities, thanks

We continued our voyage to south from here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
OyvindVassbotn, Front Office Manager at Scandic Tromso, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear FrenchTraveller1.

Thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed your stay in Tromsø.

I wish you a lovely trip down southwards.

Øyvind Vassbotn
Front Office Manager
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I attended a seminar at the Scandic hotel. The conferance/seminar part where perfect and provided what we needed. If I only should write a review as a seminar the rating would have been a 4! The pause food where great and the Munch buffet where delicious, but a bit Norwegian based.
The rooms where of good size but very "noisy". The bathroom could need some renovation, but the view from the room where worth it! Make sure you get a second floor room!
I do not Know the price of the room since my company payed so I could not say anything about value for money. But with a small renovation of the bathrooms And the good conferance part I would recommend it. But please not that based on only room, I would have given it a 3.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kjell Olav P, General Manager at Scandic Tromso, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear MarieJK.

Thank you for your review and we wish you a great summer!

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

all in all it was very pleasant, all went very smooth, even though there was 4 of us squeazing into a 3 bed room, they were very accomodating, food was great and there was plenty ... I have no complaints at all would definitely stay there again with confidence it will all be good

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kjell Olav P, General Manager at Scandic Tromso, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Ashtowle.

Thank you for your review and your positive comments.

Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is on the airport side of the island, so you depend on bus or taxi or your own car if you want to go to the centre of the city. However, you will find a large shopping center, Jekta close by, only 5 minutes walk. Hotel is ok, service ok, however, it is a bit far from the sights of the city. But, if you are there for relaxing its ok. Price is ok.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kjell Olav P, General Manager at Scandic Tromso, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Ukranova.

Thank you for your review.
You are most welcome to visit us again during summer and you will find that our location also is on the sunny side. Best hotel on the island to experience the beautiful Midnight Sun!

Kjell Olav Pettersen

Been to Scandic Tromso? Share your experiences!