“Amazing hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 hotels in Tromso
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A fantastic hotel, it really is! Centrally located with the most efficient, friendly staff ever! We checked into this hotel for 5 nights and got given an amazing room on the top floor. Saw the Northern lights from our balcony!! Room was perfect, large enough and very clean. Bed was very confortable and the shower was huge. Absolutely amazing views over Tromso. This is Norway and so prices are generally expensive, but this is an excellent value for money hotel with free tea/coffee in reception any time. The reception staff really are extremely helpful, courteous and attentive. The ONLY negative point I have is that I cant believe this is still a 3 star hotel - much much more than that!. Thanks for making our stay the best ever! I cant wait to return here...

Room Tip: The 9th floor gives such sweeping panoramic views over the city if you are lucky enough to get these...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. Your comments have been shared with everyone here and we hope you will find time to return to us in the near future.

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The rooms are clean and simply furnished. The restaurant Egon is on the ground floor and is opened for long hours even on weekends. There is printer on ground floor for printing important documents free. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. We hope you will find time to return to us in the near future.
Middlewich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very friendly helpful staff. Clean warm rooms. Good location. Free wi-fi and use of printer which was useful for printing boarding cards for flight home. Nice restaurant on site.
would stay here again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in Nov 2012 and had a great time in Tromso. The staff all spoke excellent English which is par and course in Norway it would seem and the breakfast is good particularly given its free and Norway is so pricey. Rooms aren't massive but thats not why you're there. Great central location.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. We hope you will find time to return to us in the near future
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed in the Thon Polar hotel and I have not been disappointed either time. This hotel was booked for me as part of a Winter Break tour and the total price including two activities and the accommodation for three nights was around £700. I find this good value for a country like Norway.

The room for a single traveller is quite small but perfectly sufficient. When I travel, I do not spend a lot of time in my room because I am out experiencing the city I am in but when I was in the room it was warm, comfortable, and sufficient. It has a hairdryer, a television, a glass for water but not much else but again, I need nothing more when I am travelling than a comfortable warm room to stay in (or cool if the weather is hot!) This did the job.

The service: wow. I can not say enough about how wonderful the service was. Not only are the hotel staff friendly, welcoming, warm and helpful, but they are perfectly polite when you fling your arms around them in a hug of joy because they found a lost piece of very sentimental jewellery for you! (I had lost my earring and the young man behind reception returned it to me. I think he was rather bewildered but perfectly lovely about it when I hugged him fiercely...twice!)

Proximity: it is right in the heart of this tiny town. Tromso is easily explored on foot and this hotel is located within three minutes walking distance of the Tromso Tourist Information centre and the hotels Rica and Radisson Blu where most tours leave from. There is also a restaurant attached (Egon) which does great food and a great value pizza buffet for NOK 104.

There is free WiFi in the hotel and the signal is excellent. It is fast and it works every time. You need a username and password which is supplied to you on check in. There is no safe in the room but they lock securely with your keycard and only your keycard can access the room. There is free tea and coffee in the lobby and a vending machine right next to it to get a quick snack if your heart desires.

Overall, I recommend the Thon Polar hotel. It is a budget hotel and it does everything you need it to do and I would stay here each time I returned to Tromso.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that does not face on to the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel was great - modern, clean, good condition, friendly and helpful reception staff. It is in a great location, near to the ferry port. The rooms were lovely, spacious and stylish. We could help ourselves to free tea and coffee (all kinds of coffee) from downstairs. The hotel was adjoined to an Egon restaurant where breakfast was served. This was amazing - plentiful with loads of variety including big chunks of watermelon and pineapple.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked an offer through expedia and so did not expect any favours. The hotel far exceeded our expectations. I had read trip advisor reviews and sent an e-mail asking for a top floor room facing north - just in case we could see the Northern Lights. Within minutes, I got a reply saying that one was reserved for us.
When we got there, the girl on reception gave us a room facing south by mistake. It was a lovely room with possibly the best view in the hotel. However, when I realised it faced south, I asked to be moved. They were very apologetic and moved us immediately. It turns out that Tromso sits in the middle of the N. Lights belt and you are just as likely to see them in the south and so we could have stayed put! However, I could not fault the hotel.
Good quality flat screen TV in both rooms we stayed in - in contradiction to what others have said. I agree that programme choice was limited but we did not go to watch TV. There was always something in English when we did watch.
Breakfast was lovely and in nice surroundings.
The staff could not have been more helpful throughout. Many thanks to all of them.
Attractions: We really enjoyed the polar museum and polaria. The arctic cathedral was perhaps a bit disappointing but I would still go and see it. We walked over the bridge - an experience in itself - and arrived too early but it was open. Do check opening times before you go.
All Norwegians seem helpful friendly people.
Trips: We booked a Northern Lights trip with Tromso Safari. It was NOK925 on our first night. It was a little disappointing. It was cloudy when we left Tromso. We travelled a long way south and then inland. We eventually stopped for about 50 minutes. The sky was very clear to the north and the stars were brilliant - but that was not what we went for. It was quiet cloudy on the other side. We hoped for it to clear but it did not. After taking a lot of photographs of the stars, we moved to the other side. There was a glow low in the sky and a gentleman told me that the guide had told him that it was the Northern Lights. I took a long exposure photograph and was really surprised that it was indeed the lights and came out green. I took an even longer exposure and it was even better but by now the battery had gone with the cold. The lights went before I could get another and we left soon afterwards. Disappointing that we went all that way and were not well guided.
We stayed in town the second night. The third night we nearly went dog sleighing but decided to try for the lights again.
There are lots of companies offering a variety of trips from about 800 to about 3400NKR. It is so hard to decide. We were not interested in a meal being included. This greatly lowers the price and gives more time for the lights. We had our own warm clothing - again lowers the price.
We booked a 6 hour trip with Scan Adventure for NCR800. I was concerned when the guide said that she could not decide where to go and even more concerned when she headed towards the west and open sea. I thought if it was cloudy in Tromso, it would be cloudy there. Our concerns were misplaced. We were soon seeing the lights. They were not as dramatic as we had hoped for but we has achieved what we came for. we got an even better viewing later.

We flew with SAS and were pleased. London to Oslo in about 2 hours. Less than 2 hours in Oslo and less than 2 hours onwards to Tromso. You have to collect your luggage in Oslo on the way in but it goes directly from Tromso to London on the way back. SAS allocate seats for you and ours were fine. We saw the lights from the cabin window going in. You then get the chance to change them when you check in 22 hours before flying.

Room Tip: Both of our rooms were fine. 946 faced south. The sun never goes above the horizon in early January...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, January 16, 2013

Been to Thon Hotel Polar? Share your experiences!