“Good hotell well located in Tromso” 4 of 5 stars

Thon Hotel Tromso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Gronnegata 50, Tromso 9000, Norway   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Chester, United Kingdom
“Good hotell well located in Tromso”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here as part of a Northern Lights trip organised by Discover the World. The hotel was easy to find (the airport transfer bus stopped close by) and the room was comfortable. Complimentary tea and coffee was available in the lobby and the hotel was close enough to local attractions to be able to pop back for a warm drink (it snowed while we were there). A highlight was the herring selection on the breakfast buffet - lots of different marinades, smoked and un-smoked. Definitely worth trying! We enjoyed our stay at the Thon Hotel and would stay here again if ever back in Tromso. NB There is another Thon Hotel on the opposite side of the road,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Tromso, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing Thon Hotel Tromsø during your recent visit to Tromsø.
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff, service, breakfast and location met your expectations.

We hope to see you back again in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel a lot around Norway in my job, and when you do so, you definately apreciate the hotel being nice, clean and with a good location. Thon Hotel Tromsø has all does things, and it also has a very tasty breakfast with many healthy choices. I can recommend this hotel to everybody that is travelling to Tromsø, for business or pleasure. Single, couple, friends or families.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Tromso, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank You for Your positive feedback.
We are pleased to hear that You enjoyed so many aspects of Your stay, and hope
You will return to us in the future.
gail2803
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Situated on one of the main streets, though Tromso is small and easy to get round.
Modern and well finished hotel, though I expected the room to be a little larger as there wasn't much luggage space.
Complimentary coffee in reception and free wifi in your room.
The breakfast was very good - excellent choice, including waffles!
I was tempted initially to book a hotel by the harbour, but as it was snowing, visibility was poor so I wouldn't have benefitted from this and saved money by booking the Thon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Tromso, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing Thon Hotel Tromsø during your recent visit to Tromsø.
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast.

We hope to see you back again in the near future!
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was disappointed with the hotel. The rooms were very small, with not a lot of hanging space. There was no restaurant in the hotel, which meant we had to eat out every night. I'd paid a lot of money for the trip, & I feel that the hotel let the trip down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations.
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here in mid March 2013. It is accessible by the airport bus - one block (7 mins) from the main street next to the Rica Grand Hotel. However in winter with a heavy luggage, the snow is a bit difficult to navigate. When I checked in, the staff were not so friendly and they made a mistake to give me a room with someone occupied in it! I had to go back to the lobby with my heavy and bulky luggage (20 kg) to request for an empty room, while the service staff asked me if I made the mistake instead!

The bed is quite narrow for european size; nevertheless was a comfortable sleep.
Rooms are clean and the free wi-fi was fast. The free coffee and tea in the lobby was rather a nice perk to have although I did wish I had a kettle in the room (did not see it).

If you are taking the cruise (Hurtigruten) is can be a 'long' walk (10-15 mins) to the pier, especially again with a heavy and bulky luggage in the snow or ice on the pavements in winter.

In terms of location, is it central. No much of a view in this part of town. If you can, stick to a hotel that is nearer/facing to the pier - you will probably get nice views of the sea and the Arctic Cathedral across.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of Tromso with beautiful rooms and very kind staff. Since I was only in town one night, I very much appreciated being able to check in as soon as I arrived, which was before noon. They even got me a room on a lower floor after I requested it and helped me with directions around town. The room I had was clean and modern with a great TV and comfortable bed and chair. The free coffee and tea services in the lobby was a nice surprise and I definitely took advantage of them! :)

The staff was also very honest about the least expensive way to get from the hotel to the airport. They suggested the city bus that picks up and drops off right outside the airport parking garage. It's about a 20-25 minute ride at most through the town and it only cost 40 NOK each way.

The thing that I most appreciated was that the staff prepared a breakfast for me "to-go" as I had an early flight the next day and would have to leave before they started serving.

Overall, this is a great hotel in a great location with a wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Tromso, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that your stay was such a success, and hope to see you back again in the near future!
København, Danmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is new, clean and comfortable. The rooms are very small with a tendency to claustofobic which could be a problem during summertimes as the noice from the street starts at 6:30. The breakfast is very good.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review.
Some of our rooms are of smaller size, sorry about that. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast
We hope to see you back again in the near future.

Been to Thon Hotel Tromso? Share your experiences!