“Worst room I have been offered in Norway” 1 of 5 stars

First Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strandgaten 21, Hamar 2300, Norway   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Hamar
Sandnes
“Worst room I have been offered in Norway”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I went to Hamar for a dance event. The organizer recommended the Victoria Hotel. After reading the Tripadvisor reports I was skeptic.
The hotel is under renovation. There must therefore be nicer room. I was offered a single room up on the 6th floor. The lift was claustrophobic small, and there was hardly room for two people with luggage. The room was awful, dark and stuffy. There was a door out to a common escape balcony (no window). Although the room was not renovated, I cannot see the single room layout is possible to improve. I immediately went down to the reception. They offered me an upgrade to a renovated room. The additional cost was not acceptable (although it was a weekend rate). I had checked the availability at the Choice Hotel nearby and checked out. The only positive I can say about the hotel is that the reception let my leave without charging.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Avoid 6th floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kristiansund, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed for one night only. Very polite and nice young man in the reception, and that was it. After the noisy lift-doors had closed we could read a note saying this hotel was under rebuilding. Hopefully the hotel can give their guests a better experience next summer.

First impression on 5th floor was the strange smell from the old carpets. The room was spacious and ok, though very old fashioned in a not charming way. On top of our bathroom window the local pigeons had their resting place, resulting in long white stains on the glass, and loads on the outside windowsill.

I don't think the ventilation worked in our room, but open windows is ok as long it is silence outside... Last impression, the breakfast. Food is ok, but when both chairs and tables are sticky from something I don't want to know, I was glad we could pack our things and go on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel. It was the smallest room I have ever had and I´ve travelled a lot. Apart from that the room was clean, but the pillow was very flat, ask for an extra! The room was refurbished, but the common areas were in need of an upgrade, which I believe they are. Breakfast was ok, nothing great, but it covered my needs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Sandefjord, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

In desperate need of renovation! The carpets are so threadbare you can hardly call them carpets any more. Funny smell, and poor ventilation.

In the bathroom the shower kept falling the down, the showercourtain stained and muggy, a few of the 1979style tiles cracked. Also here bad smell

Not very suitable if you want to work here. No chair at the desk, no extra socekts for computer (have to take out either lamp or minibar)

Narrow and not very comfortable bed, no table or shelf near the bed. Some noise from corridors as well as street

Breakfast average.

The only good thing about the place is the location, very central!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
HotelmanagerV, General Manager at First Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Sir.
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your comments from your stay with us in January.
I am truly sorry that your experience with us did not add up to your expertations, and I would like to use the opportunity to give you my sincerely apology.
We take all guest feedback seriously and we actively use all information we get from our guests to improve the product and service we offer.
I can ensure you that we have looked into our intrnal routines regarding changing shower curtains when needed and also changing or reparing bathroom tiles when broken.
I am happy to tell you that we are starting to renovate the hotel in a few months, and we are positive that with an upgraded hotel combined with our helpful staff and our great location in the city center close to the railway station-we will be a hotel you want to visit soon again.
Once again I want to express my apologies to you and welcome you back.

Best regards
Trude
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed in First Hotel Victoria early june this year. The reason for my trip to Hamar was a 2 days seminar with my company. I can agree with some comments that he hotel is ready for a makeover, but I would like to mention that my company had a positive experience in this hotel.

First of all my room was tidy and clean, and the hotel is ver central i the city. The front desk personal was service minded and helped mer with some trouble I had with my Internet connection. And during our meetings at the hotel, we experience a very serviceoriented conference hostess!

With the staff and the great food, we forgot the hotel needs an upgrade. Although some rooms was very modern.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Oslo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

This hotel was quite cheap, but service was mediocre, it was too warm in the room, poor ventilation and bad smell. Stayed for 2 nights, but will not return to this hotel if I can find space in another one.
Also, you have to park on a paid parkinglot 200 meters away...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I´m glad we only had one night in this dump. Crappy service: We were going to a wedding, and asked the reseptionist where the church was. She send us to the wrong church. A bottle (1/2 liter) of coke cost 39 Nok. The room was in desperate need of renovation. Distroyed furniture, ripped curtains, that did not hold light out. No air condition, and lots of noice from the street outside. Toilet seet was broken, shower curtain digusting, hole right into the drain in the bathroom sink, dated tiles and colours. Worn paint at doors etc. Dirty carpet on floor. The hotels web site must be showing pictures from a different hotel, none looks like the one I saw. The restaurant was a funny mix of cheap copies of french wallpaper, brown 70s details, kitch pictures of Holly Hobbie-like girls on the walls and fake gold plastic. The people running this hotel schould be ashamed of themself, it is a disgusting, crappy, overprised place, and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelmanagerV, General Manager at First Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Dear Sir.
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your stay with us. I truly regret that your experience did not add up to your expertations and I would like to give you my sincerely apology.
We take all guest feedback seriously, both positive and less positive, and we actively utilise all information we receive to improve the service and the product we offer our guest. I can ensure you that we have looked into our internal routines regarding several of your comments. We are constantly training our staff to be the best ambassadors for our most valued sources-our guests.
We are in a dialog to renovate and upgrade the hotel and hope that with a fresh hotel combined with our helpful and service minded staff, we will be a hotel you want to visit again.
Once again I want to express my apologies to you and welcome you back some other time.

Best regards
Trude

Been to First Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!