“THE café in vienna” 5 of 5 stars
Review of phil

phil
Gumpendorferstrasse 10-12, Vienna 1060, Austria (Mariahilf)
0043-1-5810489
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mariahilf
“THE café in vienna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

In my opinion the most comfy café and coolest cafe/bar in vienna...
Delicious breakfast, the latest books and music around and all of that in an amazing ambience!

Visited March 2013

Vienna, Austria
“KICKED OUT FROM THE TABLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I went there with my girlfriend to this cafe phil. At the time we sat down, there was no reserved sign at the table. After we ordered and sat there for more than 30 mins. One of the waitress came and said that this table is reserved at 18.00 h... We were surprised because before we saw that there was no reserved sign... anyway we said.. no problem we will leave before 18.00 h ... However, at 17.40 h, the same waitress came to us ( with a very unfriendly gesture) and said that the people who reserved the table was already here and she demanded the table for them... We were very disappointed... Firstly, it was still 20 mins until 18.00 h.. Secondly, we did not have to agree to leave at the first place because there was no reserved sign on the table when we came.

The way we were treated without any apology from the staffs is absolutely unacceptable. Due to the fact that not being German native speaker, make us feeling second class guest. There was no friendly way of asking if we could move the table neither an apology to the situation. According to service received and the way how we were treated, I do not recommend anyone to visit this cafe.

I really hope the manager or owner of this cafe read this message in order to make the necessary step to make their guests feeling welcome.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philiale, Inhaber at phil, responded to this review, November 28, 2014
Dear Taj,

i am deeply sorry you had a bad experience when you visited us!

I can assure you that we took the necessary steps so no such thing will ever happen again.

Chris, owner
Melbourne
“Great atmosphere, bad everything else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I went to this place due to positive trip advisor reviews and I wish I did not. The positives: the atmosphere is great... Very funky and warm. The coffee is also decent... But you are in Vienna, so what would you expect. The negitives: The food is ordinary at best, the wine is almost undrinkable and the customer service was absoloutely appalling. After asking if i could take a seat (it was very busy), the guy rolled his eyes and told me to sit anywhere. I had a "ciabatta", which is basically a mcmuffin. I also ordered a wine which tadted like it was from a cask (i think it may have been an old bottle). After this was coffee and cake. I asked which they would recommend, where I received the response "I don't know, we don't eat it". I got the orange cake which was dry and floury. Afterwards I asked for the bill and the guy once again rolled his eyes and gave it to me.

Two nights later, after a wonderful meal at ramien (across the street), I thought I would try it again thinking maybe it was a bad day. I asked for a coffee and some chocolate cake. This time, I asked for a bit of cream (just in case it was dry again). The guy said no, it is filled with chocolate goodness. It was a small request - not one that I think is unreasonable, but the guy acted as if I had asked for a saffron jus. The cake came... This time it tasted even more dry. It tasted like flour and cocoa powder and that is about it.

Overall, it was a bad experience. The food is poor and the staff need to watch their attitude. They really need to remember that they work in a shop... Not in Hollywood. It gets 2 stars instead of 1 due to the atmosphere. Go, get a beer, don't eat, then leave.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
munich
“Groovy!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited here for a late night snack and tea late on a sunday evening and we were welcomed by groovy and warm waitress. We listened to great retro music and chilled for quite a while. Defintely coming back here when we visit Vienna again.

“fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The place is so original and unusual! It is filledwith vintage furniture (which you can buy), books to look through and dvds. We had breakfast there - it was great. Fresh pastry, genuine italian cheese and good coffee, humus, musli - EVERYTHING WAS worth it. Service wwas the top as well (I don't know what was the reason for complains in some previous reviews).

• Visited July 2013