“Average 3* Hotel, 25 mins from Town centre, Great people though.” 3 of 5 stars

Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hoffingergasse 33, Vienna 1120, Austria   |
Ranked #269 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Average 3* Hotel, 25 mins from Town centre, Great people though.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I am writing this review while sipping beer in Garten Hotel 2's counter part, i.e. Hotel 1.
Well, this review is about Garten Hotel 2.

Summary:
Garten Hotel 2 is an average 3 star hotel. Rooms are not bad, hotel is in a residential location in Am Schopfwerk station. The hotel staff is excellent and that lifts up the entire experience.

Details:

I stayed in Garten Hotel 2 for 5 nights in early Sepetember 2012 for a business visit to Vienna.
On the whole I was not impressed by the hotel, but the hotel staff was so nice, my experience and opinion about the hotel has improved.

Hotel Location: Average
The hotel is located in sector 33 of Vienna (to the best of my knowledge). This is quiet far from the town center and one would either have to take a taxi or a train to reach town center. The train is easily accessible, however you would have to change at two stations to reach the center. By Taxi it would cost about 25 EUR and by Train, it would cost you about 2 EUR one way.
Otherwise, the nearby location is peaceful and I found it to be a residential location.

Rooms: Average to bad
The hotel rooms are bad due to many considerations
- on the whole, the decor of the room was non inspiring with dead walls and crazy furniture.
- the room did not have a WiFi internet connection. So I had to use a LAN connector to connect to internet. Both ends of the cable were broken so the cable kept coming out. (WiFi was available in lobby though)
- It appeared to me that the hotel had given no though to guest's convenience. The wall socket for plugging LAN cable was placed such that I had to lie flat on the ground to access it (Room 479)
- Hotel does not have air conditioning or fans. So on the first two days of my stay, I could not sleep comfortably due to the heat. (however, given that vienna has a long winter, this may not be a problem for most)
- The bed was comfortable, but not luxurious
- Bathroom was small, but clean and sufficient. Since the curtain was not good enough, the water used to drip out all over the floor.

Staff: Excellent
The reason I do not detest my stay at Hotel 2 is because of the good staff. Very rarely I have found the entire staff of the hotel uniformly courteous and helpful. During my 5 days of stay, I interacted with the different receptionists, restaurant staff & house keeping. All were always smiling and ready to help. They were warm and due to that I felt welcome at the hotel.
I would rate the whole staff better than many other 4 or 5 star hotels that I have stayed in.

Breakfast: Reasonable
The breakfast was continental, as expected and I found it to be ample. I am a vegetarian, so that choice was limited for me, but for others, the choice was ample.

Would I stay there again? Well, I would prefer not to.

Note:
On the last day, I went to Hotel 1 and really liked the hotel. I did not see the rooms, but on the whole I loved the ambiance and the settings. It is a 4 star hotel with lot of other facilities such as Fitness center, Sauna, Bar, etc. The hotel 1 is about 300 meters away from hotel 2.
If you are considering staying at Garten hotel, I would surely recommend Hotel 1 over Hotel 2.
The staff is the same ( I saw the hotel 2 staff here). I also found out that guests staying at hotel 2 can use Hotel 1 facilities.

Room Tip: Choose to stay on rooms on higher floors towards the front of the hotel. (Room No. 479 is a corner r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Michael W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to write your impressions of your stay. I am very sorry that we did not meet all your expectations, but I am happy to hear that our staff overexceeded your expectations. After telling them your impressions they were very happy and even did remember you from your stay and would like to send you all the best wishes and are looking forward to welcome you again.
Best regards
Michael Willars
Director of Sales&Catering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The rooms are not very big, but the staff is very friendly and solved all my inquiries very fast. There is a U-Bahn station (Am Schöpfwerk) near the hotel -less than 10min walk- so you can get anywhere in the city quite quick.
The only downside is that they don't have any wi-fi in the rooms, only in the public area downstairs. There is internet available in the rooms but only with cable - at the time I arrived there were not any cables left. Not a problem for my short stay, but normally that would have been a BIG problem.
Breakfast is very simple, but enough and decent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Michael W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially happy about the praise of our staff. We have now seen that we need to organise a few more internet cables, so that on your next stay with us this problem will not arise.

Best regards
Michael Willars
Director of Sales, Marketing & PR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Helpful friendly staff all with good English;the rooms were very clean but the decor very tired;no Hotel directory available in English nor a kettle/cups etc in rooms

The food served was Ok but the Breakfast very good -watch out for the excellent Multi-vite Juice

Good for a business meeting

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Nuremberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I've stayed at the hotel for 5 days during my trainig course and chose it because it was near to the company. My first impression when I came to the room was, that I was in some student hostel and not some 3* hotel in Vienna. The carpet and the walls were dirty in the room, as well as in the whole fourth floor. The furniture was very simple and it looked old and worn-out.
On the other hand, the bathroom looked quiet modern and clean. The bed was really comfortable.
My room was facing the backside of the street, so it was quite quiet during the night. All around the hotels were just new concrete residential buildings, nothing green, as the hotel implies. The breakfast was served in the only restaurant hotel has, just next to the reception desk. It was quiet simple, but enough if you are here for business.
The position of the hotel is not perfect if you want some sightseeing to the Vienna old town, but not far away from the Schönbrunn palace. For anything else then business you need subway and the closest station was about 10 min walk.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2? Share your experiences!