“Sorry for the great location - Catastrophic Service.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Osterreicher im MAK

Osterreicher im MAK
Stubenring 5, Vienna, Austria (Innere Stadt)
1-714 0121
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,668 of 2,878 Restaurants in Vienna
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Innere Stadt
Vienna, Austria
“Sorry for the great location - Catastrophic Service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The beautiful restaurant in the Museum of Angewandte Kunst MAK (Applied art) is unique in its setting as an annex to the museum on the Ring. It has a beautiful garden in summer. I loved this place thru the years. Unfortunately a "Star-Chef" , Mr. Mernie Rieder took it over and changed the style and the atmosphere. We went there as a group of nine people. Only five wanted to eat, the rest was just for drinks. Although the restaurant was nearly empty. It to 15 minutes before we could place our order of drinks. We hat to discuss with the female waiter, if we were allowed to sit together, if we did not all order food. She was unfriendly, took away the napkins - not to make them dirty (!), unwillingly brought the drinks, never showed up again...
The menu is a little bit self-centered on the Chef. Food might be good, nobody asked us to order.
It is a matter of time, when a restaurant as beautiful as ist is, will have to close, because of the arrogance of the personal.

• Visited May 2014

• Turkish first
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Confusing menu but tasty food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We booked for a Friday night but actually there were two spare tables the whole evening so it wasn't necessary. The menu was confusing to read and needs to have clearer headings. My boyfriend ordered what appeared to be a main course but was actually only starter size. The food itself was very tasty, I had the 'risotto rot' which was excellent. They also served great Austrian wine by the glass and a Viennese beer too. We didn't have dessert as they were a little too strange for us. The waitress was pleasant and polite. The inside of the building was beautiful and a pleasure to eat in.

• Visited May 2014
Vienna, Austria
“Service really bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was there yesterday with a friend from Russia and we wanted to eat something. The experience was really bad. First we took a seat and waited for a waiter to give us the menu. Within 5 minutes no one showed up so I took a menu from the table next to us. Then after another 5 minutes a waiter showed up and I wanted to order. I started with the drinks and wanted to order food, as the waiter replied to me I should wait to order food until he brings the drinks, which was really awkward.Finally the drinks arrived and I waited to be ask for my order, but nothing. So I decided not to eat at all, asked for the bill (which took quite long to get). I was really disappointed I believe a waiter should be able to take an order for food and drinks at the same time. Well too bad that I was not able to get food, I heared that despite Österreicher left the cusine should be quite good, but that lousy service is not acceptable.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Unique setting for great food and wine.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

After a late visit to the MAK, at about 6, we came straight into the Osterreicher on the off chance they had a table, this being a Saturday evening. Not normally people to eat so early, we're glad we did as this place fills up really quickly! The menu had some interesting choices, with seasinal, contemporary takes on Austrian classics. Food is well executed and flavoursome. We asked the waitress for some advice for our red wine choice and her recommendation could not have been better. The little semolina dumplings we had for dessert tasted like delicious little portions of claffoutis with plum jam. Yum!
Oh and not forgetting the lovely 19th c interior crossed with modern furnishings and a wine bottle chandelier hanging chicly over the bar.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Helsinki, Finland
“Museum and delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Some of our friends “advertised” the restaurant of MAK (Museum for Applied Arts) as one of the best places to have your lunch in Vienna. They were right. My colleague had the most crispy looking and tasty (he said) Wiener Schnitzel while I had really good Szegediner Goulash. The lunch in MAK is worth it’s reputation. Try also Austrian wines. I recommend.

• Visited January 2014