“Liked it so much, we ate here twice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Livingstone

Livingstone
Zelinkagasse 4, Vienna 1010, Austria (Inner City)
1 533 33 93-0
Improve this listing
Ranked #522 of 2,887 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Vail, Colorado
“Liked it so much, we ate here twice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great steaks. Kids also had burgers, which were deliciious. Service was spectacular. Warm and inviting spot. Very lovely evenings, with excellent food.

Visited August 2013

• Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
“After 10 years of being a loyal customer... its over”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant for 10 years now (ever month), however the changes in food quality and service staff make me re think my decision to spend my time in this restaurant. I can accept portions getting smaller, service being a bit worse, however when we have 3 month old expired olive oil on the table, and we mention that to the manager and he gets upset about it and tells us this is not a problem and 'ich will nicht mit dir diskutieren' (I don't even want to discuss this with you ).... well.. i guess thats too much. Waiting to see if we get sick from eating out of date food....

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Very good compared to other choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Vienna is a very beautiful European city, not unlike Paris, Rome or London. As an infrequent visitor, I'd say however that the food choices in Vienna pale in comparison with those other capitals. If you've eaten a typical meal of boiled beef, wienerschnitzel or similar traditional Viennese dishes, you know what I mean. I had planned to go to Bauer's, which I hear is fabulous. But it's closed on the weekends.
So I decided we should eat at Livingstone's after seeing the its menu when leaving the fabulous bar downstairs called the Planter's Club (same address). The restaurant calls itself a californian steakhouse, but that's not a fair comparison, for good and bad reasons. Livingstone's has ambience, and more character than most (chain) American steakhouses. The decor is turn of the 19th centruy African safari ("Dr Livingsone I presume"). Different and more interesting than most American steakhouses.
The service is efficient and attentive, but you get the impression that the waiters have too much attitude. Smurkingly so. Especially when you don't order bottled water. But that did not diminish from the experience, which was a good one overall.
Caesar salads were tasty; not overly generous portions, for the price.
The steaks we had (ribeyes, 2 different ways) and the tuna steak were tasty, nicely presented, cooked perfectly. My curried chicken with shrimp was a bit disappointing. ONLY one lonely smallish shrimp on the plate! The sauce was very creamy and had less flavor than I'd anticipated.
The wine list is quite amazing. Many choices are prohibitively expensive, but if you're selective, you can enjoy a great bottle worthy of a great steak (Chateau Ste Michelle Cab from Washington state 2008).
All in all, I'd return if I was back in Vienna. And do visit the bar downstairs. Very smokey but a GREAT selection of single malts and other exotic libations.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Basel, Switzerland
“Great steak, horrific creme brulee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Absolutley recommended: The Angus Filet steak. The dry-aged organic one was less tasteful.
The red wine, a Chateuneuf de Pape, was great.
The creme brulee on the other hand was horrific. Tastet like supermarkt pudding. They had the decency not to bill it.
5 points for the Angus steak and atmosphere
4 points for service
1 point for the desert

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ghent, Belgium
“Ruined my new year”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent newyears eve at the restaurant . Nice atmosphere and food was good to very good.
However the service was arrogant and took advantage. Total price (diner 2 pers) 320 €. Thats not cheap at all. Cocktail (10€ ?!). Ordered Bottle wine (36€) and they came with "alternative" one and charged 55€. Although waiter had said one or 2 € difference ). This was not a good way to start the new year.

• Visited December 2012