I found this hotel through Rick Steves' Guidebook but unfortunately staying with this hotel was not a very good experience. As a solo traveler to many places, I am usually very flexible in terms of accommodation but I think I should share my experience staying there so that you can make better judgment by yourself.
Neighborhood: The neighborhood is a bit seedy, which means you might not want to get back too late after dark. If I could pick up a hotel again, I would rather staying somewhere within the Ring of Vienna so that I could spend extra hours at night outside, as Vienna has so much to see after dark. Even I have to pay extra to stay in the hotel within the Ring, I think the extra money would be well spent.
* I requested a single room and was assigned to a different property owned by the hotel. It turned out that this property does not differentiate smoke and non-smoke room. I am a non-smoker and was assigned to a smoky room. So if you want to go with that hotel. Ask ahead.
* Rick Steves mentioned that the floor of the room within their additional property is tile. I think I know why the room has tiles on the floor. Basically the room is very damp, reminding me of the hotel I used to stay in the Bahamas. Every day when I stepped into the room, I feel obvious humidity with bed sheet. Just remember, this is in very hot summer weather in Vienna.
* Noise: the extra property with this hotel is located right next to a hostel. Therefore, I heard a lot of noise until very deep at night.
* Breakfast: the breakfast is basically two breads with tea. It is literally nothing. You could just pay 3 euros in the nearby grocery store in the morning to get a nice warm sandwich. I guess that many cheap hotel just try to use low quality breakfast to pocket some extra profits.
* Service attitude: the hotel is obviously very money minded and not friendly at all, which I understand. I paid what I get. However, when I checked out and get ready to have the last breakfast, the front desk lady (FYI, an old and bossy lady) started to shout at me in German and then English, simply because I decided to put my backpack right next to me on the seat where I sit. She insisted that I should put the backpack on the ground in the hotel lobby and said the floor is clean. It is early morning with only a few people in the cafeteria and I do not get it why she had to be so angry, simply because I put my backpack on the seat.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel even to solo traveler who do not care about accommodation that much. Obviously, everyone has different perspective. I try to be as objective as possible and simply hope what I had there can help you make a better judgment so that your vacation will not get affected by certain unpleasant experience.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Pension 5haus - Funfhaus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.