“Unfortunately, Not a Good Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Pension 5haus - Funfhaus
1.5 of 5 Inn   |   Sperrgasse, 12, Vienna A-1150, Austria   |
Ranked #85 of 107 Vienna B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“Unfortunately, Not a Good Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I found this hotel through Rick Steves' Guidebook but unfortunately staying with this hotel was not a very good experience. As a solo traveler to many places, I am usually very flexible in terms of accommodation but I think I should share my experience staying there so that you can make better judgment by yourself.

Neighborhood: The neighborhood is a bit seedy, which means you might not want to get back too late after dark. If I could pick up a hotel again, I would rather staying somewhere within the Ring of Vienna so that I could spend extra hours at night outside, as Vienna has so much to see after dark. Even I have to pay extra to stay in the hotel within the Ring, I think the extra money would be well spent.

Room:
* I requested a single room and was assigned to a different property owned by the hotel. It turned out that this property does not differentiate smoke and non-smoke room. I am a non-smoker and was assigned to a smoky room. So if you want to go with that hotel. Ask ahead.

* Rick Steves mentioned that the floor of the room within their additional property is tile. I think I know why the room has tiles on the floor. Basically the room is very damp, reminding me of the hotel I used to stay in the Bahamas. Every day when I stepped into the room, I feel obvious humidity with bed sheet. Just remember, this is in very hot summer weather in Vienna.

* Noise: the extra property with this hotel is located right next to a hostel. Therefore, I heard a lot of noise until very deep at night.

* Breakfast: the breakfast is basically two breads with tea. It is literally nothing. You could just pay 3 euros in the nearby grocery store in the morning to get a nice warm sandwich. I guess that many cheap hotel just try to use low quality breakfast to pocket some extra profits.

* Service attitude: the hotel is obviously very money minded and not friendly at all, which I understand. I paid what I get. However, when I checked out and get ready to have the last breakfast, the front desk lady (FYI, an old and bossy lady) started to shout at me in German and then English, simply because I decided to put my backpack right next to me on the seat where I sit. She insisted that I should put the backpack on the ground in the hotel lobby and said the floor is clean. It is early morning with only a few people in the cafeteria and I do not get it why she had to be so angry, simply because I put my backpack on the seat.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel even to solo traveler who do not care about accommodation that much. Obviously, everyone has different perspective. I try to be as objective as possible and simply hope what I had there can help you make a better judgment so that your vacation will not get affected by certain unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights in this pensionhaus and while it is pretty basic by any standards, it was among the better priced places we could find. It is located a 5-10 min walk from the main train station/underground station & has many public transport systems nearby. The room we were in was away from the main building & seemed to be in a seperate apartment block. The room was large but very close to a noisy road & coupled with no air conditioning meant it wasnt a great nights sleep. There is no safe & internet is not available here. Breakfast was 2 rolls of bread so factor in buying a breakfast if you are planning on sightseeing. Overall it represented value as it was considerably cheaper than nearby similar alternatives.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Stayed for two nights in a single room en suite. Rooms and bathroom very spacious, clean and quite well lit. Simple breakfast is included with the room rate, consisting of coffee/tea and rolls. The pension is located on a side street in a quiet residential neighborhood, a block and a half from a main road, Mariahilfer Strasse. Several restaurants and cafés are located nearby on Mariahilfer Strasse. Location is about 250 metres from the Westbanhof from where one can catch the metro (or trains). The numbers 52 and 58 trams also pass nearby the hotel on Mariahilfer Strasse, one stop from the Westbanhof. From the Westbanhof, it's about a seven minute ride to the city centre at Stephansplatz on the U3 metro line. Overall, good value for the money and a comfortable friendly place to stay in Wien. Only negatives I noticed were the lack of WiFi and that the pension closes from mid-November to early-March.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

I've been in Wien November 2007, the 1st for three nights.
I booked a double room. Very large room
Quite and safe district of Wien.
Simple (not luxury), clear. Good price 56 €/night and breakfast included (coffee, tea, chocolate, bread, butter and marmelade).
Near to metro or train station (250 m far from westbahnof).

I suggest to everybody. Backpack and budget travellers

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pension 5haus - Funfhaus? Share your experiences!