I was a bit nervous about staying at this hotel before I went to Vienna. The website isn't very descriptive and the room photos don't show much of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised overall and will definitely recommend this hotel and stay again.
The Entrance & Lobby
The entrance is a bit hidden, but is directly opposite St. Stephen's Cathedral, right in the heart of Vienna's pedestrian district. If you're looking for a solicitous doorman dressed in a top coat, this is not the hotel for you. You enter through a rather unobtrusive entry way and immediately board an elevator to the lobby, a few floors up.
The lobby itself is a little small - just a small reception desk at the entrance to the bar. I arrived in the evening and found the staff to be mediocre and not very welcoming. The morning staff, however, were wonderful. They held my luggage (and I left with a very cool luggage tag!) and were quite helpful.
The bar, Onyx, which is adjacent to the lobby, is quite popular with the locals. Seats are reserved for hotel guests and views are to die for. Until smoking is outlawed in public places, however, it was simply too smoky for me (no windows open, so all the smoke kind of just floats there).
I had a room with a showstopping view of St. Stephen's Cathedral. Noise was not a factor but light could definitely prove problematic. The hotel solved this issue with blackout shutters that did the job perfectly. The room feels a bit small but this is mainly due to its shape (long and narrow) and layout. The entry way has a closet with the only real storage you'll have as well as a glassed in bathroom. There are shutters for privacy that you can use for the shower, but the sink area is completely open.
You step down into the bedroom area, which is equipped with a desk, minibar, flat-panel tv, couch in front of the window, and bed. You have a choice in most rooms of either one king or two twins. This hotel, with the clear bathrooms, is definitely geared more towards couples.
Decor is contemporary and I did like the nice wood floors. There is quite a nice selection of local wines in the unique in-wall minibar as well.
The hotel's restaurant on the upper floors also has the amazing city views. Breakfast here is very well done, featuring lots of cold options and all hot food cooked to order. There were some really unique breakfast parfaits and pastries and the eggs were very tasty. There is nothing like enjoying your breakfast while seated on a terrace a stone's throw from the majesty of St. Stephen's. It's the best breakfast with a view!
You do sacrifice a little staying at this hotel:
- an on-site fitness center
- a large hotel spa
- the option of connecting rooms (the suite connects to a regular room).
But you also gain:
- great service overall
- excellent prices for a perfect city-center location
- unique setting and buzzy atmosphere.
Strange name - great hotel. Give it a try!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located right in the centre of Vienna in front of St. Stephens cathedral the DO & CO Hotel is the perfect starting point for your stay. Whether being on a business trip or on holidays the hotel is in walking distance from Vienna’s most famous attractions; the Viennese opera house, the HofburgImperialCastle or the Albertina museum. Shopaholics will find themselves in paradise as our boutique hotel is situated on corner to Graben, Kärntner Strasse and Kohlmarkt.The Design Hotel with its 43 rooms and suites offers round the clock personalised service and plenty of luxurious details to make you feel at home.At the DO & CO Restaurant on the top floor of the building you can enjoy a magnificent view to the cathedral while you indulge yourself with the best tastes of the world.On the 6th floor the ONYX Bar is the perfect location to have an afternoon coffee cup and becomes the hot-spot in town at night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Splendia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your DO & CO Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Do And Co Hotel
- Do Co Hotel
- Do Co Vienna