“For the same price you get better quality somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

Westbahn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pelzgasse 1 | 1150 Vienna, Vienna 1150, Austria   |
Ranked #284 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Wels, Austria
“For the same price you get better quality somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed there from Dec. 5th till Dec. 7th 2014. Booked was the room through Booking .Com. Apparently something went definetly wrong with the booking as the double room was asigned for one Person only, also breakfast was not included and the requested (by phone) underground parking lot was not available. All of the afore mentioned points are not subject of my down rating.

Let`s start with the reception: friendly staff, definetely no complain here
ROOM: cleaness -see yourself in the photos attached,
TV with 3 Austrian programms (ORF 1, ORF 2 and ATV) and one radio Channel (Ö 3), Wardrobe door barely in it hinges, besides to small to fit gear, to low for coats, fitted carpet with old dirty spots, gap between bed and wall barely enough to slip by to go the window, if you want to use mini bar you have to push the fridge back in its "prison" otherwise the door would not open, mattress OK
WLAN available - not tested/used, heating - no complain here
Shower: dirty, warm water is a game of chance, tiles musty, sink at knee height
Stairway and Floor: fitted carpet stained
Location: very good, next to railway station, Subway station, shopping areas, Stadthalle (Vienna City Hall) and plenty more

Summary: definetly not a 4 Star anymore

Room Tip: for sure not 105, all other`s?? Using Booking.Com might bring you to "cattle class" rooms...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

First of all, I must admit that our first encounter with the main receptionist was frosty entirely because of my rudeness. We had had a night train from Venice, wandered around the Westbahn area as if the hotel was very hard to find ( very, very easy actually once you reach the train/metro/bus stations), and excuses, excuses.

When we came to the reception I just said "Hello" and put our booking documents on the counter. A rather grumpy lady emerged from the office, crossed her arms and said "WHAT?". I then said we had a reservation and she answered with an utmost sarcastic voice "Oh! You have a RESERVATION," and then proceeded to check us in. I then made the next rudest thing and asked if we could please have a room with wi-fi. Her answer was " ALRIGHT, just wait a minute!"

Right, so we were given room 105 on the first floor with the wireless connection and happily took the lift. Except that it didn't work. It took us a couple of seconds to realize that the lift only carries 150kg's. So up my husband and our luggage went and I trotted up the stairs, but there was only one floor up, so not much of a bother. Just funny that a lift could only carry one person with a heavy luggage.

Our room was quite nice considering the price we paid. A nice kingsize bed, not two twins pushed together, and the window was towards a quiet side street, quiet considering the fact that Westbahn is just next to the main railway station. There was ample room for our stuff, the bathroom was a decent size, there was a safe and a minibar. One thing bothered us though, the bathroom door was very difficult to close, well nigh impossible since the carpet was too high. the door first had to be yanked shut, then you had to basically do something from action films, slam you shoulder against the door to open it :D

The room itself was kept clean but this is one of the reasons I drop one point off the rating: getting the towels changed. There is a sign on the bathroom door saying "if you want the towels to be changed, put then in the bin". Now, I haven't travelled that extensively around continental Europe, but those hotels that I have stayed in have had a policy of "leave the towels on the floor or in the shower". Ok, there was a bin. But I have never in my life have had the urge to chuck the used towels in a waste bin! That rant over, I'm the one to blame, I should have asked the staff to change the towels that still had my make-up on them, I didn't, so my problem, shame on me.

Breakfast. Now, If I understand correctly, not many Viennese hotels offer complimentary breakfasts. Westbahn's did cost extra, but I think we got quite a good deal with it. It had tea, coffee, toast and jam, bread rolls, ham, cheese, youghurt, muesli, orange and tropical fruit juices. And a very big thank you to the ladies at the breakfast room, very cheerful, one of them even taught us how to pronounce our room number in German :)

Three points only because the main lady receptionist was frosty and because of the towel issues, but I admit that I should have just contacted the housekeeping about that.

So, decent room for the price we paid, very well located, good (if for an excra cost) breakfast, good wi-fi, comfy beds, the room was relatively quiet.

If we would visit Vienna in the nearby future, I'm afraid we'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Nitra, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014

The best thing about the hotel would be the location. It is located really close to the train station and a subway station too. The hotel is not four stars though, it's an old building and the room was really small. Everything was clean which is very important for me too. The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

Not bad for sleeping. Very old building and old moebel. for one night it is a perfect place not expensive and close to railwaystation.have a nice trip to Vienna.)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

If you want to be near the train station, this is a great location. The property is very cute and clean. Nice courtyard, but this is a smoker's area.
Staff was helpful regarding restaurant ideas and directions.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014 via mobile

I only stayed here because I arrived in Vienna late, without any hotel reservation and this hotel was the nearest to the station. This was its one redeeming feature. I paid e189 for 1 night which was an absolute rip off for the standard that it turned out to be. This is Not a 4 star hotel but a 2 star. The rooms haven't had a makeover in about 20 years. They may have had a lick of paint but the bathroom fittings are 20 years old and rather basic, the carpets are well worn and shabby, and the whole place just feels neglected. There is no air con and I noticed when leaving that the duvet cover had come undone and the duvet underneath was a grey colour and with a cigarette burn mark on it from years of use and clearly no washing. If I had paid e50 or e60 to stay here then I wouldn't complain, but I could have stayed in a proper 4 star hotel with modern facilities for half of what I was charged.

• Stayed September 2014
Vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The staff is nice and helpful, hotel is clean, the location is very good at four minutes by metro and train, nearby there are places where you can eat cheap and where you can buy quickly for the room. The rooms are a little small (European standards), but are sufficient for you to relax and spend a few days in Vienna.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Westbahn Hotel? Share your experiences!