“Vienna's best kept secret!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hollmann Beletage

You added Hollmann Beletage to your Saves list
Hollmann Beletage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koellnerhofgasse 6, Vienna 1010, Austria (Old University Quarter)   |
Ranked #7 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
Chicago
“Vienna's best kept secret!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

During the second week of July my partner and I spent the last 5 days of a 2 1/2 week European trip in Vienna at the Hollman. We splurged and stayed in the magnificent Suite Separee on the top floor - small efficiency kitchen, large bed rooom, bath and dining room /living room combination -- and private Hamam with rain shower. The photos of the suite on the website are accurate representations and it is a bargain compared with the Do & Co's top rated suite on St. Stephan's square (our first night was at the Do & Co in their suite with terrace looking over St. Stephen's Cathedral - much more expensive and not as warm - service was also mediocre for the price paid).

Service at the Hollman is low key (just like we prefer it) and very attentive and prompt. Seppi leads a great crew in the morning for breakfast and Andrea proved why she always seems to get great reviews in Trip Advisor. Alex is also a charming newer member of the staff working both the front desk and breakfasts. we also had dinner at the restaurant affiliated with the hotel in the courtyard around the corner - very good -- try one of their Vienna region wines.

Location is also excellent. When we return to Vienna it will definately be our home base!

NOTE: The spa / gym is very limited if you are looking for a comprehensive workout - just one treadmill. Also, for English speakers, the selection of TV channels in the suite was very limited - we could only find one channel in English - that is the ONE THING I would recommend management improve.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PALP, General Manager at Hollmann Beletage, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your well appreciated feedback! The separee Spa suite is our newest suite (2011, 95sqm) and is truly something special.
Regarding your TV related feedback: our austrian cable TV provider offers approximately 15 international tv channels, among them you will find german, italian, turkish, american and british channels. Most of them are news channels. In addition to that we offer complimentary iPads with a various number of british and american TV applications, where you can stream a lot of (live) content.

We do hope to welcome you back soon!

Philipp Patzel, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and it has a great location, but I was disappointed in the service. The room was awkward with the bathroom sink behind the bed and no space for luggage. Wi-Fi was as slow as dial up with a disappearing signal. Our view was a construction site. The quirky touches like pez dispensers in the room and a movie area seemed more theatrical than utilized. I found breakfast to be chaotic. They would prepare eggs but orders came out wrong, and I was never asked about coffee refills. Some of the more exotic breakfast items they brought out automatically seemed wasted. I think the normal buffet would be an improvement. The hotel staff were helpful and informative, however I would only recommend this hotel to some one who would wear uncomfortable shoes just because they looked good.

PALP, General Manager at Hollmann Beletage, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for your valuabe feedback! We are indeed located in the very center of Vienna, just 2 min. walking distance from St. Stephen's Cathedral.
The designs of our rooms differ, but basically you can choose between 3 different types: Residenz, with bathrooms hidden in the closet; Mezzanin with open glass showers and sink behind the bed; Beletage, with open bathtubs and sink behind the bed. So whatever purpose you have, we have the appropriate bathroom for you! The construction site you mentioned was on the opposite street and has competed it works the first week of august. Sorry for this, even though this is beyond our control...
As for our Free Wifi, I really can't explain the partial failure you have experienced. We have the fastest possible connection and bandwith available on the market: with connections of up to 100Mbit/s speed shouldn't be a problem... Sorry though, we will monitor this closely.
And yes, we do have some quirky touches such as Free PEZ dispensers, free Cinema screenings, Free popcorn, Free afternoon Deli, Free iPads, Free breakfast in your room or in the restaurant until 11h30 (!)... but to our mind this actually makes the difference... Our breakfast is celebrated as a 6 to 7 course meal every day... and of course you can skip items or request for anything else... but we really do prefer our table and à la minute service over a conventional buffet, where food quality is never even near to our personal expectations... As for the lacking coffee refills I really feel sorry and have to epxress my apologies... coffee is one of our most valuable assets... all our staff members are trained baristas and really care for the quality of the coffee they serve... this might take a liittle bit more time than the all-in-one machine solutions... but you can taste the difference! anyway, 1, 2, 3, or even 10 coffee refills or new orders are very welcome and should be actively offered by our staff, sorry for that again.

We do hope to welcome you back again, perfect the good looking shoes might fit you better next time? Philipp Patzel, GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Modern, luxurious, relaxing - just a few words that come to mind. The staff seems genuinely interested in the comfort of your stay. The 6 course breakfast (included!) was to die for; I even got up EARLY for it on my last day before heading to the airport...that is a first. Definitely recommend Hollmann Beletage.

Room Tip: The spa suite was worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
jordifp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I rest for 4 days with my family and i a feel like home. Very well placed near underground and main sites of interest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Never in my entire life have I felt more at ease in a hotel, the staff is extremely enthusiastic and are always willing to help you find anything to make your stay easier in any way. They trust there guests genuinely and not to make appearances there's a private theater there and they let me rent a DVD and watch it alone and trusted me to lock up when I was done because it was after the receptionist had left. Extremely beautiful hotel and directly in a beautiful and very walking prone part of vienna. I can't suggest this hotel any higher

• Stayed July 2012
Libertyville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed three nights at the Hollmann Beletage Hotel this June with my wife and two teenage daughters. I picked the H-B because of its great location within Vienna, its truly unique room layout and edgy style compared to the 'Grand European' hotels we were using for the other legs of our vacation. The hotel lived up to these expectations.

The online booking process was easy and the hotel's website does a good job of representing the room options. There are no family suites so I booked two rooms. The hotel promptly confirmed our reservation indicating their website works perfectly (not something I take for granted).

The hotel location is about three blocks from St. Stephens, towards the Danube Canal. I like the location but also like to walk. Some people might prefer a location closer to the Graben or near the Opera House/Palace to be closer to the MAIN attractions...or further??

The hotel entrance itself smacks of boutique-y-ness. It's a very discreet orange canopy and offers a great feeling of exclusivity - as though only the 'in' people know why it's there. A short jaunt through the old tiled apartment building lobby led to the elevator which lifted us to the second floor hotel lobby.

Upon check-in, we were greeted by name and given a complete dossier of Vienna to help us navigate the attractions. Additionally, the hotel arranged for the two rooms to be adjacent to each other without our asking. The check-in process was simple and the very friendly concierge/manager explained in detail the transit options of Vienna. She also was very willing to help us seek out the 'non-touristy' shows and restaurants for the best Viennese experience. No doubt - this concierge (I wish I could recall her name) took great pride in welcoming guests to the Hotel as though it were her home.

Our style of travel doesn't allow for much time in the hotel, but I can say that the hotel common areas are very sleek. There is a library/lounge with a piano and rows of stools and high tables for computer and wi-fi access. There is also a small bar in the lounge. The overall vibe was much less that of a typical hotel and more of a hip coffee-house.

The room decor is minimalistic. The bed is centered in the room with the sink/vanity right behind the headboard. In the corner is an end-table/snack bar and a sofa. There isn't a desk...and the shower/tub are on a teakwood platform built into the wall. The closet and toilet are located on either side of the tub platform; also in the wall. The overall effect is one of great efficiency and novel design. A very cool room to stay in. The bed was comfortable and the air-conditioner worked great...a "must" since the days were 90 degrees + during our stay. The rooms were both very clean - after all, this is Vienna.

The breakfast was included and we took full advantage of the convenience...something I am less prone to do without the kids preferring cafes. That said, the freshness and selection was excellent. Fresh eggs, meats, fish, nuts, breads and fruit and dairy options were available daily with slight menu changes. After the first order - the service staff remembered exactly what each of the four of us liked to drink and brought it to us shortly after being seated. Like the rest of the hotel, the dining room was compact, efficiently designed and warmly decorated in contemporary style.

I only have two reasons for not giving a "five" to this hotel. First, nobody works the desk overnight. I appreciate the unique and modern vibe the hotel promotes...but in the hotel industry where most guests are not familiar with the locale someone should be present at all times. Building on my first point, there was a problem with the key to one of our rooms. When I called the hotel phone number, the same friendly person answered her cell phone from home to talk us through the problem. She couldn't have been more pleasant, apologetic and helpful; but the issue just underscored the need to have someone in the building for just such an 'emergency'.

That said, I will return to the hotel the next time I'm in Vienna. The facility is terrific and staff is great; they really made our family feel welcome and appreciated in their unique property.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Beautiful hotel with fantastic design, excellent staff, wonderful food, amazing attention to detail. Stay there--it will truly make your time in Vienna special!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hollmann Beletage? Share your experiences!