“Try something different” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dining Room

The Dining Room
Maygasse 31, Vienna 1130 , Austria (Hietzing)
Website
Neighborhood: Hietzing
Palo Alto, California
“Try something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We enjoyed a delicious mail at Angelika Apfelthaler's home.
We were a little late with our reservation and were only on Vienna for a few days. When I explained the situation Frau Apfelthaler offered to seat us at a small table in the kitchen, which was perfect for us. We enjoyed every moment of the relaxing evening and the very tasty meal.
A fixed menu is served with optional wine pairing. Everything was excellent.
Great place if you want to enjoy a meal and get away from busy restaurants.

• Visited October 2013

Langenzersdorf
“Guerilla dinning done the Austrian way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The first guerilla dinning option in Vienna resembles a restaurant in organization and professionalism. Frau Apfelthaller, who runs the business from her home, preserves the best of the guerilla dinning concept - the friendly ambiance (she answers the door herself and greets every customer warmly) - and adds to it the Austrian way of doing business - extremely organized reservation method, delicate and curated deco in the open kitchen and the dinning room and squeeky cleaness. In other words: excellence as a daily achievement. I strongly recommend visiting it!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect-book now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I read about this restaurant in a travel book and a New York Times article, then became even more excited after checking out the website. I knew it takes a few weeks to book, so I booked in February for an April reservation.....and it was worth the wait!!!!

Angelika's attention to detail and love of food was evident in every bite. The dining area is small and intimate, but everyone has their own conversation sphere so it never gets loud or annoying. We had a full room, but that only means the other 6 tables were booked!!!

Angelika hand delivered every course herself, explaining the course and the background of the ingredients. Every course was on-point and wonderful. Five courses are a lot to handle, but the portions are just right so you don't feel stuffed at the end of the meal.

I can't wait to return! I highly recommend this for a perfect date night in Vienna, if you live here or are just visiting. If you are visiting Vienna take a trip to the outer neighborhoods for this meal, it will be worth it! If you live here and love food make a reservation for a great date night!!!

• Visited April 2013
Vienna, Austria
“Romantic dinner for two - secret tip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I am constantly looking for new good places to spend some quality time with my partner, away from kids and tourists, a place where you enjoy to stay for more than one hour and not eat in a haste, or be bothered by noise. By coincidence I read about this place, and it already intrigued me. It is not a restaurant, but it is a family home of the owner and Chef of cuisine, Angelika Apfelthaler. She is making the menus by themes and seasons. For my husbands birthday I tried to book a table, but the restaurant was sold out weeks in advance. Finally we got a table. We arrived at seven as the confirmation mail said.
We arrived in the 13 district, parking is not a problem. It has even a lift for handicapped, which I find very good. We were greeted by the Chef/owner Angelika Apfelthaler in a warm and friendly manner. The style of the "dining room" has a Mediterranean-Oriental touch. You can see the kitchen and all the preparation are made right in front of you. I always like to see the kitchen of a restaurant, this one was impeccable clean and open, the Chef proudly presented there her creations.
The weather was warm and we were seated at a beautiful little corner table at the terrace overlooking a quiet and peaceful garden. Although the terrace is not big, there were another 5 couples, each of us had enough space and privacy.
Everything about "the dining room" showed good taste. The 5 course menu was simply delicious, one course was better than the other. Each course was explained and served by Ms. Apfelthaler herself, suggesting good wines that go with each dish. As I am not a wine drinker, I had a fantastic "apple champagne" non-alcoholic. We spent well over 3 hours there. At the end of the dinner we were served a good Italian espresso with the best chocolate fudge cake I ever had (... and when it comes to desserts, I am an expert, trust me...).
The dinner costs 55 euro per person (drinks not included). The evening was well worth it, and we will sure return again in a couple of months.

Highly recommended for a special night out. This is the perfect secret little get-away, go there before your friends do ;)

• Visited August 2012