“AMAZING church” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Peter's Church

St. Peter's Church
Peterplatz | 1st district - Inner City, Vienna 1010, Austria (Inner City)
01/533-6433
Taipei, Taiwan
28 attraction reviews
“AMAZING church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

definitely one of the most amazing churches i've visited, definitely go in and take a look, I didnt pay for any of the additional sites and ticket so i dont know what those are like, so you can chose when you go in if you want to see them, the tickets arent cheap so i passed...

Visited February 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Very stunning catherdral, my favouriate of the 2 central ones. Very quite and peacful, can see why people would worship there.

Visited January 2013
London, UK
105 attraction reviews
“A Relatively Narrow and Short Structure Housing a Beautiful Interior and Exquisitely-Decorated Roof”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I visited St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche) as part of my 5 full-day visit to Vienna and enjoyed it a lot. It was one of the few churches I had planned to visit in the city and after my time in Vienna my limited selection proved justified, as this was one of the few churches really worth devoting any time to as I don't think many are that special.

---

I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Vienna (and writing TA reviews for all the places I visited, accessed easiest by selecting the 'See * more reviews by LPWilliams for Vienna' link at the base of this review), it is entitled 'Vienna Attractions, Hotel & Transport : 5 Full-Day Visit Sep 2012'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....

---

Situated in the western area of the city centre, on a dedicated plot barely larger than the 'footprint' of the building itself, Peterskirche is surrounded by narrow lanes and the towering roofs of adjacent properties. However, unlike the similarly attractive Church of the Jesuits (Universitatskirche), located not too far away on the eastern side of the city centre (see my TA review) which also has similarly diminutive proportions, due to it's situation Peterskirche has a far more prominent exterior and which is also visible from all angles (just about !).

So, there is much more to see of a notable exterior, with the facade featuring twin square towers and the dominant domed, green-coloured, roof.

The interior is very attractive, with the nave being about the same size as the altar area, featuring ornately decorated walls and some very pleasant 'balconies' situated along the relatively short seating area.

What your eyes should be drawn to though is the ceiling, which has a number of arched segments but is ultimately dominated by the oval-shaped cupola which is quite beautiful and has the potential benefit of being lit by sunlight from all angles to accentuate the central fresco and delightful perimeter 'rim' decorations.

Maintaining that beauty, the arches share the same kind of attention to detail with numerous gold decorations placed in individual reliefs. There is also a much smaller cupola decorated in the same style to the arches, but is accentuated by contrasting colours to the edges - until you realise (unless I was deceived and my memory has failed me !) that it is in fact all decoration and a '3D 'illusion'. being actually a flat portion of the roof !

Approaching the altar, there is an extremely attractive high-mounted pulpit decorated in gold on blue-coloured background structure. Turn around and you can enjoy the intricacies of the similarly ornately-decorated organ situated high above the entrance vestibule; unlike during my visit to Universitatskirche earlier in the day, no music was being played.

Dimensions narrow as you approach the altar, which features a varying number of decorative styles with predominantly gold, white and blue colouring and some accompanying paintings - everything is similar in nature to, and maintains the level of beauty of, what you've seen in the nave.

I will append a couple of video sequences to the attraction webpage and add a few of my own photos to this review once it's been posted. The dedicated website for the church also has an excellent range of photos to peruse, see my Trip List for the info but I'll request that the Internet link is appended to this TA webpage as well.

If you enjoy looking at church interiors then St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche) should join the Church of the Jesuits (Universitatskirche) at the top of your list to visit in Vienna. The exterior gives only a hint of the beauty within; and, like Universitatskirche, the fact that other Vienna churches that are almost ugly in comparison charge an entrance fee, whereas you can visit this one for free, speaks volumes for what can be yet another worthwhile visit in the city.

Visited September 2012
Darwin, Australia
162 attraction reviews
“The music is brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Try and find the times when the choir is training or when the organ music is going. Lovely to sit and listen.

Visited January 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
6 attraction reviews
“What a jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't heard or read anything about that church. Its green dome caught my attention as I was strolling down a nearby street. I decided to go inside and was surprised by its beauty. I think St. Peter's church is one of the most beautiful catholic churches I have ever visited.