“Hip hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Vienna
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Opernring 13, Vienna A-1010, Austria   |
Ranked #67 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Holyport
“Hip hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

The hotel exceeded our expectations. As a SPG Platinum, we were very kindly upgraded to a suite (room 625) and Philipp Holl (Front of House Mgr) ensured all went smoothly.

The suite was extremely spacious, the bed very comfortable and we loved the multi jet shower. The free mini bar is a nice touch and it's great having free wireless in the room. The only thing we would suggest to improve the suite would be an espresso machine.

The hotel ambience (as been mentioned before) is very W like even though the hotel pre-dates Starwood membership. A very funky feel in the bar and the lifts!

It's definitely not for everyone if you like the more traditional style but if you're into trendy hotels, this ticks all the boxes with a great location across the road from the Opera House too!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
frontofhouse, Front of House Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Dear Holyporter.

We are extremely grateful to have had you stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay @ Le Méridien Vienna. Thank you for your personal praise, but be assured it takes more than just me to make everything run smoothly. So I will forward your word of appreciation to our exceptional team, which takes that extra step to make your stay a memorable one.

An espresso machine is definitely worth thinking of, and as far as I know we have had talks about implementing such a service. In the meantime, you can enjoy the great barista coffee service from Illy in our hotel outlets.

Another hint to those travellers looking for a typical grand hotel with more traditional style, I suggest to take a look at our two Starwood sister hotels from the Luxury Collection not far away from us.

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Le Meridien in Vienna to celebrate our upcoming wedding anniversary.
We are Starwood Preferred Guests and we were upgraded to an absolutely fabulous room. A complimentary bottle of sparkling wine was sent up to us as an anniversary gift. What a lovely gesture.
The hotel itself is very well located, with most sights and venues within easy walking distance. The shower in our room was huge with three jets. It was really enjoyable, but because of the design, you had to place a towel on the floor in front of it to avoid a flood. The bed was comfortable and our room was kept very clean. There is a mini fridge, that has two bottles of water, two bottles of cola, two bottles of juice and one bottle of beer. These are all free and replaced daily. What a great perk! There is also a coffee maker with a selection of coffees and teas. The only complaint I have, is the hair dryer. The whole time you are trying to dry/style your hair, you have to keep pressing the on button. When I inquired at the front desk about the dryer being faulty, I was told they are all like that. The lady at the desk did offer me an elastic band to keep the switch on. I would bring my own hair dryer next time.
We did get the Vienna Card, which gives free access to public transportation and discounts to many museums for 72 hours from time of purchase. We used this transportation to see the Zentral Friedhof, Schonbrunn Palace and the Old Danube.
We were very pleased with our room, the staff and our overall experience with Le Meridien. This is a fabulous place to stay and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
frontofhouse, Front of House Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
Dear Singent.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. Your input is vital to our future success and the wellbeing of our guests. We feel honoured that you want to visit us again. Yes our showers are very refreshing and have the tendency to make even more wet as they are supposed to. Therefore we are equipping all rooms with shower doors to prevent further flooding of the bathroom. We are investing this due to feedback like yours, since your satisfaction is our number one priority. Another priority is the safety of our guests. One of these safety issues is the fire hazard. History has shown that some guest like to leave electronic devices on when leaving the room. That is why the switches of our hairdryers cannot be kept switched on. We kindly ask for your understanding. Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming back again.

Kind regards from Le Méridien Vienna
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I have stayed at the Le Meridien Vienna at least six times over the past couple of years and it consistently provides high-quality service and comfortable rooms.

Normally I stay in a Deluxe room, however, there was a problem with my last reservation (not a fault of the hotel) and I was put in a Standard. It was smaller but still very well appointed. Other reviewers have mentioned that the style is a bit cold. I'm not sure I'd go that far but it is definitely on the modern/hip end of the spectrum which, admittedly, isn't to everyone's tastes. Free drinks in the mini-bar is a nice touch and seemingly unique to Le Meridiens.

If at all possible, avoid rooms facing the main street- they can be very noisy. I make a point to request an interior room or one facing the side or park.

As noted, the breakfasts are crazy expensive but very good with a large selection of items. There is also a smaller coffee and pastry bar attached to the hotel just to the left as you exit the lifts.

The bar area can get very busy and noisy, especially on the weekends. It's a bit too trendy for my style so I tend to avoid it.

The gym, pool and spa are small but well kitted out and well maintained.

If you are visiting Vienna for the museums, the Le Meridien is a great choice. The main shopping street and Opera are also only about a two minute walk away. There is also an English language movie theater one block from the hotel (make a left as you exit the hotel- the theater is on the same side of the street).

I just notice that the hotel is now offering scooter rentals for €45 per day. If I'm ever in Vienna for pleasure and not business, I might just give them a try.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dear Leicamr.

Thank you for your review. It’s excellent to read that we can count you to one of our many frequent guests and friends of our hotel. Nevertheless some of you points are worth looking into, since we don’t want to see you staying anywhere else. So before next time please let us know about your room preferences, so that we can note and accommodate your requests before you even arrive. Send us a short e-mail with all your wishes. Maybe we can meet up for a drink at our bar next time, so I can prove to you that we have all types and styles of people feeling at home there. You really need to try the Vespas, there is not a more convenient way to travel around the city. But don’t forget your drivers license, a lot of our guests tend to leave theirs at home.

Wishing you a wonderful day, until next time.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

It was our second time in Vienna and we wanted to stay at the Méridien again. Why? For the excellent and quiet location, for the nice modern rooms and... for the comfort of their beds. We sleep so well at the Méridien Wien that it's hard to get up early ;)
After a long trip, we were greeted at the reception by the lovely receptionist (Virginia, I think). She was friendly and smiling. She seemed to care about us, asking how we were and explaining the hotel amenities and services. She even complimented me on my good German. Staff is, in general, polite and nice even if we’re not rock stars or millionaires.
We had booked and paid a DeLuxe room through the SPG website and everything was as just as expected when we got there. The refreshment center (mini bar) was complimentary and we enjoyed the large bottles of sparkling and still water, the beer (1), soft drinks and fruit juices. Our room was clean and well kept. The wooden floor will eventually have to be sanded but that’s not a huge deal.
The room bill can be consulted on the large plasma TV. Being advised travelers, we always check it daily, just in case something is wrong; so we can notify the front desk quickly and avoid arguing when checking out. Good thing, because someone had had their lunch from the Café Boulevard charged to our room. Some people are notorious for being “distracted” charging their meals to the wrong room. Naturally, they had not signed the bill… Fortunately, we had no real problem getting it removed.
All in all, it’s was a nice stay and we’d be happy to return there on our next trip to Vienna. Auf Wiedersehen!

Dear Journey_on_earth

It’s wonderful to read your words of praise and admiration. Especially mentioning our associate Virgina, this allows me to pass on your good words. It is the best motivation for us and all our associates to keep up the good and hard work. Reviews like yours make our profession such a rewarding one. I especially enjoyed to read you not wanting to get out of bed. That’s exactly the intention of our special Sealy mattresses with the Egyptian cotton bed sheets and blankets. The wooden floors are beautiful, and genuine parquet wood has such a warm feeling to it, but is also very delicate and therefore we go out of our way and invest a lot of money in keeping them fresh. Some parquet fans actually go so far and are obsessed that parquet without a scratch or dent has no live to it and is not a parquet floor. Nevertheless thank you for your feedback, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards from Vienna
Philip Höll
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

We did have a great time at the Le Meridian in Vienna. The location could not have been more perfect. Walking distance to the main pedestrian streets and museums and nearby to a metro stop.

We were first placed in a room overlooking the central courtyard which is the roof of the restaurant. The room was large but this was not ideal. We moved to one overlooking the park.....much better and very quiet. The room is ultra modern with furnishings similar to what you might find at Ikea. Trendy but not much warmth. The open shower was cool in concept but floods the whole bathroom floor. The bed and pillows were quite hard . Free mini-bar (water and beer) and wireless was a nice feature. The lobby was trying hard to be a W Hotel. Breakfast in the restaurant was over $45/pp.......outlandishly priced, so we did not partake.

Pool, jacuzzi and gym were small but nice.

One note about the wireless, it was not secure so be careful. The connection was not strong and it often dropped. I was on a chat with customer service agent from a website and another individual entered the conversation warning me that I was not where I thought I was and my conversation was being viewed. Very disconcerting.

Concierge was very helpful and made some outstanding, off the beaten path recommendations.

All in all, a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
frontofhouse, Front of House Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, October 7, 2009
Dear Msk6261

First of all thank you for staying with us and giving us your feedback. It seems all in all you where very happy with your stay. What troubles me is the comparison with a Swedish furniture company. Yet a very successful company we would beg to differ due to the following reasons. Our hotel and the rooms where designed by Yvonne Golds from the renowned interior design office Real Studios. All rooms are furnished with high-grade wooden pale maple, satin stainless steel and glass (clear, frosted and etched). Our cosy beds where planned by the bed specialist Lignet Roset with a 39cm thick Sealy Mattress. Comparing us with our W Sisters happens very often but even here we differentiate. One of our main focuses is set on Art. We display, show and promote local and international art and are proud to have great cooperation’s with local art institutions and museums, such as the Secession. This has entitled us to several renowned art awards. The art changes periodically and gives all guests a chance to explore contemporary, local art during their stay with us. Of course this is all in the eye of the beholder. Each individual impression and sense is unique. That is why your observation is just as important to us and we thank you pointing it out.

Very concerning is your issue with the wireless. Please be aware that wireless is a complimentary service of the hotel. Further to that wireless is never a safe option, wherever you are, not even at your very home. With the correct software any wireless can be altered. For a secure connection always choose the direct cable option in your room.

In future if you honour us again and you would like softer pillows all you need to do is let us know, we will be happy to change them.

Again thank you for your stay with us and the time to comment, we very much appreciate it.

Kind regards from Vienna
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in April 2009.
The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to everything!!!
The staff were great and very helpful, the cocktails in the bar were lovely.
The only thing that let the hotel down was the restaurant, the menu wasnt great as there wasnt good selection but the food was nice.
The hotel rooms are lovely we were in a huge room, on the 4th floor.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Dear con23.

Thank you so much for your praise and admiration. It is wonderful to hear that our associates made you feel so welcome. That the cocktails tasted so good has a reason. Did you know that our barkeeper is Austrian barkeeper of the year 2009! It interests me, since you are not satisfied with the menu variety of our restaurant. Did you not receive the separate oriental menu? I will definitely pass this on to our restaurant management. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you back soon @ Le Méridien Vienna.

Kind regards
Perth Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Great Location on the Ringstrasse. Walk to St Stephens, Hofburg Palace and close to the Opera and shopping.
Brilliant, light ,airy,spacious hotel room with windows overlooking leafy street. Lovely light wood decor with quality bedding, great bathroom with fantastic shower and claw legged bath. Good toiletries.Tea &coffee facilities in room.

Downstairs - Check in and out easy - Very interested staff recommended a lovely not too expensive traditional restaurant for dinner. Lovely displays of costumes/ clothing and ultra modern restaurant and bar areas.

Easily one of the best hotels in our 5 weeks stay away.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
frontofhouse, Front of House Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, October 4, 2009
Dear marnie_g2001

What an honour. There you come all the way from the other side of the world and nominate us as one of the best hotels during your 5 week travel. We are thrilled and have a new goal. We want to be your best hotel! Even though we are oceans apart we do sincerely hope to welcome you again.

Kind regards
Front of House Manager

Been to Le Meridien Vienna? Share your experiences!