“Great city hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney
“Great city hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We loved our stay at this hotel. We booked a room for 2 adults and 2 kids but somehow there was a problem but they fixed it with an upgrade - THANKS! The room was lovely, ultra-modern, stylish, comfortable and clean. I had a small problem with the TV which was fixed by a technician within minutes.

The restaurant was nice: we had the breakfast buffet several times and dinner/lunch. The staff were all great - very helpful polite and professional.

The gym looked well equipped, though we didn't use it. The pool is on the small side but has a big spa.

The location of the hotel was perfect. Major attractions were within walking distance and those that weren't could be easily reached on trams and the metro from outside the hotel.

This hotel is perhaps a step above our normal level so I'm gushing a little. But I think this was a great city hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
FrontOfHouse, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear “Ox-Sydney”,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment about your recent stay at the Le Méridien Vienna.

It is great to hear that you could enjoy your holidays together with your family and without doubt it would be our pleasure to welcome you soon back.

However I apologize for the inconveniences experienced upon your check in but I am happy that at least the technical issue could be fixed within some minutes.

Should there be anything I can do for you in future please do not hesitate to contact me at katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com. I rest on your disposal and would gladly assist you.

Kind regards to Sydney,

Guest Relations Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The most beautiful thing about this Hotel is its location at walking distance from the Vienna Opera and shopping center.

Our initial experience going to our room was somehow hectic; we were sent to a room 15 minutes walking from the elevator; going up and down, climbing stairs, and discovering the corridors of the 3 connected buildings labyrinth. The receptionist was so great they offered us another room near the elevators.

The Deluxe Rooms are spacious but exaggeratedly modern design to the extent we were not that comfortable; others may find it really nice though . The bathroom is huge occupying almost one third of the room space, but with useless impractical facilities. The daily replenished free mini bar was a great advantage.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a Room near the Elevators and having a front view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
FrontOfHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear “Issa N”,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions with us about your recent stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. It was our pleasure to host you and I do hope to welcome you soon again.

However I would like to take the chance to sincerely apologize for the welcome experience which was surely not as we would have wished it for you. Our hotel building is indeed shaped in an “U” form and some of our rooms are a bit further away of the elevator. It is great to hear though that our front office associate could offer a prompt solution to your satisfaction.

As mentioned above we all hope that your travels will bring you back to Vienna and should you go next time for the more classic option – we do have two beautiful Starwood luxury collection hotels where you can enjoy the classic Viennese style.

Kind regards to Nikosia,

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been lucky enough to stay here on two occasions and both time have been superb, really well appointed especially fancy bathrooms some with free standing cast iron ones amazing. The food in the restaurant is great but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for bath if you want one
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear “arrassedmom“,

thank you very much for your kind feedback about your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that your travels lead you to Vienna from time to time and we hope to welcome you back many more times.

Should there be anything I can do for an upcoming arrival please do not hestitate to contact me at katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com and I would gladly assist you.

Best regards and see you soon!

Kreuzlingen, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

In the heart of Vienna with perfect access to all relevant places. The hotel is very stylish and modern. One year ago the staff was not too helpful but this changed totally - the whole staff is extremly dedicated, friendly and helpful. If you go there you have to try the Muesli for breakfast - it is the best one in the world.

Room Tip: All rooms are special and beautiful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Marlies M”,

Thank you very much for your short but even sweeter notice about your recent stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. It is great that you have been back already twice and it is truly always a pleasure to host you.

Efficient services with passion and warmth is very important to us and we are really happy that you could feel our guest dedication this time. Moreover a big thank you for your feedback about our Birchner Muesli which we certainly shared with our executive chef.

We hope to welcome you soon back and the next Muesli is going on me :-)!

Tooting
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Could I recommend the Le Meridien Hotel in Vienna? – Yes and No because it depends on what is important to have available for your stay and the duration of that stay.

On the yes side is the location – very central and easy to walk to shopping and culture. The hotel also has the most glorious smelling reception I have ever encountered and the artwork on show (and sometimes need to carefully step over or around) is both interesting and whimsical.

Staff members are all charming and take an interest in their guests.

The rooms are well designed (tip – look behind the very large mirror for the ironing board and hair dryer) there is daily complimentary water and a fridge that also contains a few complimentary beverages. The bathroom is terrific with a very luxurious bath, huge towels and a separate ‘wet room’ shower; that I expect housekeeping loathes because it requires cleaning with a squeegee.

And the windows open. Also the internet is free - as of course it should be but some hotels still try and charge.

On the no side is the woefully inadequate TV system. The hotel boasts a wide screen flat TV and has a limited amount of free TV channels – incredibly limited. There are some basic entertainment channels but not a single one of those is in English. It seems that any English speaker who wishes to luxuriate (indeed to overdose) on news will be delighted. There is BBC World News, CNN News, Bloomberg News and CNBC Europe together with some other channels that strive to incorporate English news reports. And of course all are on a continuous loop to ensure that should you miss a word, it won’t be too long before you can listen for it again. So one can immerse oneself in collapsed buildings and war death and bombings and dreadful economies until glee sets its.

And of course these channels always throw in some very unusual documentaries that you would never see on an entertainment channel – for rather obvious reasons.

Of course if you don’t want news there is the movie channel but this costs money. When you check to see what films are available in the latest releases you find that pretty much every film was released ages ago – perhaps not in Vienna, but certainly in England and the US to the point that the patina has probably been rubbed off the Oscar it won, given the many cleanings there would have been since the release.

All is not lost because you can also pick from the library of movies and if watching Rosemary’s Baby with Mia Farrow (who I don’t think had even met Woody Allen by then, let alone been married and divorced and watch him marry her adopted daughter) is your thing (and you are prepared to pay for it) then no doubt the glee continues.

But now comes the really bad news. You can watch the films but you can’t hear them. There is no soundtrack.

So to summarize, if you are a very busy business person who only wishes to watch 30 minutes of news in the morning before embarking on your busy day, then all is well.

But if you are a single woman who would rather not sit in silence in your room (there are no radio channels either) and have no intention of sitting alone in a bar, you had better stay elsewhere.

The same can be said for either sex who likes to be entertained in the evening and looks forward to ordering a room service meal to eat while watching a film, then stay elsewhere.

And don’t even think it if you are a family with youngsters who may need to be entertained on a cold and rainy day unless the hotel confirms it has sorted out its entertainment policy and its operation.

Quite when hotels such as the Meridian will wake up to the fact that although Mandarin may be the most widely spoken language by native speakers, English is the most used language in world due to both the number of native speakers and those who learn it as a second or third language.

And of course all the receptionist spoke English but I don’t think I heard any of them speaking Mandarin.

Room Tip: I overlooked the park at the rear of the hotel, which I suspect was the quieter side so would be a g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear “harrodswalkingshoes“,

thank you for staying at the Le Méridien Vienna.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your impressions with us as only with your help we are able to constantly develop our services and amenities.

I am happy to hear that your general experiences at our hotel were to your satisfaction and that our staff members could surprise with true interest and sincerity. Those factors truly make the differences and exactly your comments are showing us that their daily efforts are well appreciated.

However I am deeply sorry for the inconveniences experienced regarding the in-room entertainment and without doubt I can understand your disappointment. We do have a huge spectrum of international guests at our house but unfortunately it is impossible to have from each country the channels expected. We always aim to offer a general program but certainly it might be not as entertaining as expected. The missing audio is though inexcusable and we would be pleased to learn more regarding your room details so we could guarantee the necessary technical follow up. Your inputs regarding the pay tv were also much appreciated and we will certainly discuss that topic within our next executive management meeting.

Thank you again for the time you took to give us your feedback and we all hope to welcome you soon back so we could proof your trust in our quality and services.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This very modern and clean hotel boasts a great location on the ringstrasse across from the Opera House. This puts you in relatively close walking distance to most of the central museums and attractions, as well as the tram and Karlsplatz U-Bahn station for anywhere else you may need to go. In general, we liked the modern room design. Be warned that the bathroom is separated from the bed by a frosted glass wall, which is not a huge problem but not ideal for privacy. Our room had both a spacious shower and a large bathtub. However, as other reviewers have mentioned, it appears impossible to use the shower without water escaping into the rest of the bathroom. The hotel also has a pool/spa/sauna which were nice for a relaxing break from exploring the city.

What really set this hotel apart were some of the small perks. Free wifi in the room allowed us to check our emails and plan our activities with ease. Additionally, the ample selection of free minibar items (beer, water, juice, redbull, coke) were a nice bonus and were replenished each day. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to others staying in Vienna.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “evilmoonemperor“,

thank you very much for your feedback about your recent stay at the Le Méridien Vienna.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your days in our beautiful city and that you were able to try all our different amenities.

We are always delighted to surprise our guests and what can be better than to enjoy some free drinks at your room after a long day full of sightseeing? So please be assured we will never get tired of spoiling you :-)…

We all hope that your travels will bring you soon back to Vienna and please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance at katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com.

Kind regards to Canada,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed there for three nights at mid April of this year. The hotel seemed very nice, also particular in its style..we were enough satisfied until when on the last day, when I was going to close my baggage, I realized that my I pod was not on the table where I left it during all my stay. So in practice my I pod was stolen. I wrote to them several times but I was sure that I couldn't obtain anything since I also work in a Hotel of International chain and I know how things go..
The result is that they didn't refund me anything and it is clear that they didn't believe me.
The most absurd thing written in their last mail is that on a daily basis not only check bags and lockers but also garbage :-)...I could just laugh....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
FrontOfHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear “Lola061981”,

We appreciate the time you have taken as only with your feedback we are able to constantly develop our services. Once again I sincerley apologize for the inconveniences experienced and as already stated in our previous conversation I rest on your disposal for any further requests. Please do not hestitate to contact me any time.

Guest Relations Supervisor

Been to Le Meridien Vienna? Share your experiences!