“Loved the salmon sashimi! Japanese Fusion menu.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mochi

Mochi
Praterstrasse 15, Vienna 1020 , Austria (Leopoldstadt)
+43 1 9251380
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #98 of 3,000 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leopoldstadt
Linz, Austria
“Loved the salmon sashimi! Japanese Fusion menu.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We eat out and travel a lot. Vienna is a wonderful city - but .. Asian food is far from its strength. Sashimi especially is a tough ask in this city. At last count 10 different 'sushi' places and I would not go back to a single one. On a tip from a local friend we visited Mochi (2nd time now) - we were open to the menu. This is not a straight sushi bar, this is fusion. That being said - we are sashimi people. I never order anything on the menu until I taste this one dish and here it was excellent. Easily the best we have had in Vienna. It was, melt in your mouth good. Served at the right temperature and the correct thickness of cut. The edamame was also good and fresh, served with fresh shredded horseradish. I can see how 'die hard' sushi lovers who want their version of 'traditional' Japanese food might struggle with the menu. But keep an open mind - try some dishes and you will enjoy the dining experience.
On the afternoon we were there, outside was fully booked - back to back. This place is TINY ... so booking or at least calling ahead is necessary.
I agree, the staff can be a little slow - but all in all they did a good job and spoke very good English. This tends to be more of a local place - so be prepared to dine with people next to you that may have their dog with them (like us)
As with all reviews this is a personal opinion - but we have had 2 visits here and both have not disappointed. It is sad when people can't place balanced reviews. We will be back again - but next time I will book ahead.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Vienna, Austria
“Good-ish, not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

While not Viennese, we live in Vienna and we're adventurous eaters. And, let's just say that (fried) Schnitzel and Tafelspitz (boiled beef) has gotten old. I had read the hype on this restaurant and listened to the accolades from friends, and finally got around to having lunch here with my husband and son.

The outdoor setting is wonderful; a beautiful shaded area dappled with sun just off the busy section of Praterstraße. We sat for an early weekday lunch (11:30), and within minutes every table was filled, with people hovering about waiting for an opening. Waitstaff were friendly (ours was a bit forgetful, though).

We started with Edamame, nicely crisp and tossed with a perfect fusion combination of sea salt and horseradish. Our lunches came with either miso soup or salad. The guys declared the miso soup quite good; I enjoyed my mixed green salad with a light sesame dressing--no leaves were drowning in my bowl. I ordered the "Spicy Salmon" sushi with avocado, innovative in that the salmon was finely diced rather than as a whole piece, but more "Austrian spicy" (that is, not at all spicy) than having a true spicy tone. Still, my lunch was good. Our son ordered the Ebi Katsu Don of crispy shrimp atop a daikon and rice bowl that was of good portion and flavor. My husband ordered the Tori Katsu Don, a similar bowl with chicken that was horribly over salted. He reported that when back in the office that afternoon he felt a bit upset from the salt overload.

Will I dine here again? If out with friends who suggest it, then yes, for the sake of consensus. Will I suggest the restaurant? No. It's popular and trendy, but just good-ish, not great, and definitely not worth hovering about waiting for a table.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Charming, hip and very tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Located on an attractive, small square in the quiet 2nd District, Mochi managed to squeeze us in without a dinner reservation. We were delighted to find it a non-smoking restaurant. We noticed too, that none of the sushi chefs or wait staff were Japanese, and that nothing especially Japanese decorated the premises; but this didn't matter, once the 'Mochi for Two' combination began arriving. The set consists of three plates, arriving one after the other. All were quite tasty, most laudable being the sashimi--not quite, but nearly melt-in-the-mouth tender, with a nice assortment that included octopus. The waitress was kind to bridge a few language barriers, and to compensate for jet lag-addled social skills. We enjoyed our meal very much.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Warsaw, Poland
“Fad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Reading the many positive reviews you can't help but conclude that either a hype or some serious Tripadvisor-rigging is going on. The food is not bad - but nothing special. A bit on the fusion-side - caught in the middle. Only a fraction of the staff is actually Japanese and so is the atmosphere. As this restaurant is slightly off the beaten track, I don't recommend searching for it and going all the way to there: You can get significantly better Japanese food in downtown Vienna. Prices are modest.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“A great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

It is an extremely busy and trendy place requiring you to make reservations well in advance. It is all worth it as the dishes are innovative and tasty. We especially like the combinations of texture and flavour in their sushi rolls.

Visited May 2014