30-year old professional couple vacationing in Vienna for the first time… cannot recommend.
Time of stay: July 2013
We made our booking at this place about 2 month before the trip on the advice of a colleague. We were simply looking for a clean and comfortable room to sleep in as we were in Vienna to sightsee and didn’t plan to spend any significant time in our room. For us, this was a mistake.
We got a room on the 3rd floor (2nd floor in Europe). I would categorize this place as somewhere between a hostel and a hotel but without any of the charm of a bed and breakfast.
- central location – excellent for sightseeing and close to the subway and many restaurants
- relatively cheap – not cheaper than Holiday Inn or some other large chains
- seemed clean – white-washed walls, high ceiling
- good water pressure
- typical continental breakfast
- dilapidated building – looked run down on the outside and inside
- tiny room even for European standards. The double room we got was about 160 square feet not including the tiny bathroom. There was room for a double bed, a dresser and a small round table but you can’t walk to one side of the bed if you open the dresser door
- the shower was the size of a North American phone booth. Both my wife and I are average sized people and we had trouble
- there was no air conditioning (we knew about this when we booked but Vienna is usually cool at night in the summer). However, the room had 1 window that opened to the inner courtyard – no breeze at all with the window wide open. There must have been a restaurant downstairs (or maybe someone/people living below us) whose kitchen vented to the courtyard because our room smelled like a fry kitchen. The small desk fan that was in the room mitigated the smell somewhat but that took up an outlet (we absolutely needed to keep it on for any air movement at all). We requested a room change (perhaps to one with a windows that opens to the street) but was told that the place was fully booked.
- the free WIFI was spotty at times
- no fridge in the room
- small safe for which a key must be obtained from the front desk
- we could hear everything that went on outside our room
Neither my wife nor I have stayed in a place like this since our youths. We’ve travelled throughout North America and Europe and have stayed in many hotels. We would not stay in this place again. Please keep in mind, the pension probably has better rooms. Certain travellers may find this place to be a good stay. Be specific and ask before you book.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Pension Neuer Markt reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pension Neuer Markt Hotel Vienna
- Hotel Neuer Markt
- Neuer Markt Hotel