“Felt cheated as it was sold as an hotel but it's a student accommodation!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Avis Hotel

Avis Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vienna
Avis Hotel
You added Avis Hotel to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pfeilgasse 4, Vienna A-1080, Austria   |
Ranked #264 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
“Felt cheated as it was sold as an hotel but it's a student accommodation!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

TOURIST TRAP!

There is a massive difference between the so called Two stars hotel, which is actually situated across the road, and where you will have to walk to for your tasteless breakie...
...and the student accommodation that is the Guesthouse Avis!!! Very basic student accommodation turned tourist trap during summer... This is not a two stars accommodation. It can't be. But booking it on internet was certainly misleading.

We're a happy couple, we love to travel and I'm glad to say that we can laugh about it all in the end, but we have never stayed in such a bad place before... We got really surprised by how small the beds were and no choice for double beds, only twins available!, and the amount of dust everywhere, not mentioning a permanent sewage smell in the corridors...

Well, if you're after a monastic type of accommodation in a building that resembles an abandoned ex-hospital or ex-prison, this is for you! No TV, no comfort, no kettle, no iron (ah yes, the only iron is downstairs, locked in an empty room that looks like an ex torture room, with an abandoned fridge... mind the electric shock as it's been well used!)

Sure the location is quite wonderful, very central in a lovely quarter of Vienna, but really, for another EUR100.00 we could have found a much better place to stay. That's the only time we have regretted not to pay more money for basic comfort!

• Disliked — Everything about it!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2005

I stayed in Avis a few years ago, and I think everyone should be aware of the fact that it is more of a student hostel than a hotel. More than half of the people staying there are foreign students, and no one really considers it to be a true hotel.

The rooms were very clean, and the price was so low that one simply cannot complain about uncomfortable beds when they are hardly paying anything to stay there.

• Stayed July 2001
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2004

I stayed at the Guesthouse Avis(same building as hotel Avis but cheaper rooms with shared bathrooms on each floor) for 5 nights in September.
I was disappointed but for 23 euros a nite(single room) I can't complain as that is extremely cheap for Vienna.
The staff was friendly,the breakfast was pretty basic(buns,jam and coffee). My bed was clean(but not very comfortable) and the walls of the room were somewhat dirty.
And at night it was very loud, constant shouting and slamming of doors.
The room had no tv or radio or even a clock which was a bit surprising.
I would stay here again though just because its so cheap and its not like I actually spent alot of time in the room anyway.

Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2004

I had stayed in this hotel several times in the past so that is why I booked it again. Although the beds were clean, the walls were filthy, the beds were cot size and uncomfortable the room was unbearable hot and small-a single room made into a double, the curtains did not close around the windows. It was noisy all night long. It is also the youth hostel. The bathroom was really grubby and the final straw was when the toilet seat fell off! The picture on the website does NOT resemble the rooms at all. I would not recommend this hotel. It looked more like a prison. We booked for three nights and left after one. The only good thing I can say is that the staff were friendly and helpful and the cleaning staff worked really hard with what little they had

Been to Avis Hotel? Share your experiences!