“Wonderful hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Isle of Wight
“Wonderful hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have just returned from a new year trip to Vienna, chose this hotel because of previous trip advisor reviews and we are so glad we did! We arrived from the airport by the airport bus which drops off at Morzinplatz which is basically Schwedenplatz area, it was around a five min walk to he hotel, we received a very friendly welcome from the receptionist who was very encouraging to our son who is learning German , and spoke German to him whenever she saw him! The hotel has a really cosy feel, a peaceful haven, it was spotlessly clean everywhere. We had a triple classic room which was on the third floor, again clean, comfortable and warm. The staff in this hotel are genuinely happy in their work , the breakfast staff are amazingly happy so welcoming every morning with beaming smiles on their faces, the gentleman on reception was extremely helpful in suggesting to us an Italian restaurant which was wonderful , he continued to be very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was beautiful, lovely fresh fruit always replenished in a timely fashion, everything was always there even bananas which in other hotels are the first thing to run out! Excellent choice of bread , hot bacon, sausages and soft boiled/ scrambled eggs. The hotel is perfect for all sites, even Schonbrunn palace can b reached on the Ubahn a Schwedenplatz without changing trains. New Year's Eve was very exciting, it was of course crowded but the atmosphere was great, I particularly enjoyed New Year's Day as we went h the Rathaus to watch the New Year's Day concert on the big screens, this was a highlight for me as I have watched since the age of 12 on the tv, unfortunately not lucky enough to get tickets in the draw, but this made up for it, there were couples dancing the Viennese waltz in their jeans and trainers!
I was genuinely sad to leave Hotel Austria and Vienna, it is. Wonderful hotel in a wonderful city, if you get to read this Hotel Austria please don't change anything about your hotel, we shall definitely return, and thank you very much for a memorable stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I just returned from New Year'/s in Vienna, Austria, where we stayed at the Hotel Austria. The hotel is conveniently located in walking distance to many interesting sights as well as restaurants and shopping. The only time we needed a taxi was to go to the Hofburg Palace and the Opera. If it were a little warmer, we probably would have walked there as well. The staff gave us excellent recommendations for restaurants and were helpful in every way even before we arrived by arranging pick up at the airport and a city sightseeing tour. They responded promptly to all inquiries via e-mail and Liza could not have been more helpful. The rooms are comfortable and immaculate. The breakfast provided a wide variety of choices and ample supply. We feel the Hotel Austria provides great value and a comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Although we had a non-smoking room on floor 1, the high floors are all non-smoking. Be sure to sele...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel is situated in an ideal location, 5mins from Stephanplatz, 10-20min from the Horfburg Palace, 15-20min from the State Opera, 3min from the nearest underground station and or stop from Wien Mitte, the central station where the airport transfer train, CAT, arrives at. The service is friendly and the staff is always there to help. We stayed for the new year and one of the staff recommended us to go to the Horfburg Palace for the New Tear's Fireworks Display rather than Stephanplatz, which was far grander, better an less crowded. One cannot even move in Stephanplatz.
The breakfast is delicious and the wiener sausage is exclusive. The maids are friendly and are hard-working and the room was absolutely clean, except for the odd pants from a previous guest under a bed. Overall, brilliant.

• Stayed December 2012
Santa Monica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed two nights here in a single this month. Earlier in my trip I had also stayed in a single at the Hotel Beethoven, so can offer comparisons in case that helps.

The Hotel Austria is well located down a little alley off of the Fleischmarkt. It's an easy walk to shopping, to tourist sights, and to either of two U stations.

I paid 95 euros a night for my room, which was was a third less than that for my single at the Beethoven. On the other hand, the Austria felt like a budget accomodation, with worn carpets and a two-star feel. The bedroom was small, the bathroom utilitarian though practically as large as the bedroom.

Whereas at the Beethoven there was a double set of doors from hallway to my room that effectively blocked out all hallway noise, at the Austria it was just a thin wall between me and the hallway. Given that my bed was only a couple of feet from the hallway, I felt as if I could lie in bed and have a conversation with the unknown strangers just outside. Also, I could hear the person whose room adjoined my bathroom as he made strange noises in his shower.

The buffet breakfast was all right but nothing special. The breakfast room was rather dark.

The front desk was staff was friendly but seemed a bit overwhelmed. When I used them to book a taxi to the airport they first quoted me 38 euros, then when I resisted and said I'd seen it lower, they changed it to 35 euros. However, they didn't communicate that to the taxi driver. I don't know whether this is why the taxi driver was exceptionally unhelpful, or whether he was just incompetent, but after I clearly told him that I was flying Air Berlin, he dropped me off at the Air Austria terminal and told me that it was the right place. I had to drag my bags back two terminals to the correct one. Next time I'd order my own taxi from C&K, which is what I did for my arrival in Vienna.

If you're on a budget, this is a good place to stay. You can get to Cafe Diglas in three minutes -- and who wouldn't want to do that?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bacup, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel and we were certainly not disappointed. From check-in to check-out every member of staff we met was pleasant and welcoming giving the hotel a very relaxed feel. Everywhere is spotlessly clean and very well appointed. The breakfast room was well stocked no matter what time we arrived in the morning and the staff were constantly checking and replenishing as necessary. On a couple of mornings breakfast was busy, I think the hotel was quite full, but we never had to wait for a table and again there was always a smile from the staff. The hotel itself is very well located, whether it be for the shops, the museums or the many tourist attractions in Vienna - the reason for our trip was for the many Christmas markets. On previous visits to Vienna we have used either the CAT or S-Bahn from the airport but on this occasion decided to try the airport bus to Schwedenplatz, this was quick, easy and only a ten minute walk from the hotel. An excellent hotel both for location and value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This has to be the best hotel/b&b for the tourist in Vienna. It is superbly located for both transport of all forms and the sights of the old city. And yet by being tucked away up a tiny alley it is quiet and feels secluded from the traffic and the crowds. The staff are caring, knowledgeable and multi-lingual. Lots of tourist information in the lobby, they can recommend restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets, as well as organise taxis to and from the airport more cheaply that getting one from the rank round the corner.
Rooms are variable but the best value is to upgrade one level above the basic, to get a lot more space and a bigger bed for a few extra euros a night. Nicely decorated (with Klimt prints, it being Vienna) and very well appointed for a two star hotel. Many rooms look out onto a central courtyard/"lighting well" but are bright enough and quieter than those fronting on to the alleyway, and everything is impeccably clean.
Very fine breakfast, drinks available at reception (take them out onto the first floor terrace).
There is a lift (albeit small) as well as a very elegant staircase.
Amazing value for its location and quality, no wonder it is constantly full, book early!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The Hotel is about 2-3 blocks from Schwedenplatz a main Transfer point of the Subway in a short Alley off Fleischmarkt. I arrived after 12 Pm and was told the room is not ready and to go shopping. Also note, check out time is at 11 AM any other Hotel I was in was always at 12 noon and they do not give you much leeway for this.
The room I was in was average size and had a very high ceiling, 2 twin beds with old stile headboards, one Nightstand with drawers, a corner table with 2 chairs and a wardrobe.
There are 3 -4 stairs to get to the elevator.
They have a nice Breakfast room with Table cloths and a good selection of everything and the person there is more friendly than the one in the reception.
Also there is a computer to check your E-Mail

Room Tip: I do not know
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Austria? Share your experiences!