“Not Simply the Best Breakfast on the Continent and Good Value, Much More” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Austria

Save Saved
You added Hotel Austria to your Saves list
Hotel Austria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Am Fleischmarkt 20, Vienna A-1010, Austria (Innere Stadt)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #21 of 369 hotels in Vienna
CT
“Not Simply the Best Breakfast on the Continent and Good Value, Much More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I am going to embarass myself in order to indicate just how great this Hotel is: On my way in from the airport on the excellent CAT express train after a sleepless flight from NYC, I left my small carryon bag on the train and did not realise it until too late. I arrived at the Hotel upset. Not only did the Hotel staff immediately make the sustained efforts to report this to the proper CAT personnel (and later Airport Lost and Found personnel) (multiple calls to get to the right offices) and to be sure they talked with a real person who would advise the hotel if and when the bag was turned in, they continued to follow up. And when the bag was turned in (after I had left Vienna), the Hotel contacted me, arranged for a courier to pick it up, return it to the Hotel and the Hotel shipped the bag back to me (at my expense of course). So, not simply great breakfast, great rooms, quiet central location, excellent value, but also help for a traveller in need when a problem arose, immediately, sustained, and followed through. That is a GREAT HOTEL.

Room Tip: The deluxe room was spacious with 12 foot ceilings, well appointed, well maintained, double windows...

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Venice, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Reception was very friendly and helpful. They can store luggage also if you need. Our room was very very tiny with two twin beds, but we opted for the economy room with the bathroom and shower outside of the room. It is your own private bathroom and shower so that was not too bad. There is a sink basin in the room. We moved the beds next to each other to give us some room for our luggage. It was barely enough room for two people and luggage.
Breakfast was plentiful and well nourishes you. Service is excellent in the breakfast room. Really excellent area, very quiet, and there is a good doner kebab place right outside the nearby Schwedenplatz metro.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget, you can get a very small room with two beds with bathroom and shower not ens...
washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Swedenplatz location was close to St Stephens. WIne refrigerator in lobby had great inexpensive local wines for sale. 2nd floor terrace was great . Manager was super nice and helpful (good ENglish). Breakfast was good.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a nice place to stay in Vienna. It is very close to subway lines at Schwedenplatz and Stephensplatz. Access to the sights (including the Museum Quarter) is also available by trams at Schwedenplatz. You can walk to Stephensdom, the Royal Palace, the Opera, and the Museum Quarter. There are places to eat all around. The staff is friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet provides almost anything you can desire. The size and style of the room may not have been optimal from my perspective, but it was clean and comfortable. Vienna is an expensive city. I don't think you can do better for the money. No AC. Free WiFi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Austria in Vienna on our way home to Canada following a three week visit to Venice and a 12 day cruise. I found the hotel on the internet and was very pleased when I contacted them via email. They were more than helpful with information about the area, directions from the airport via the train and subway and also about taxi fees. We had the time so decided to take the train and then the subway and found it to be most enjoyable. The Austrian people were more than helpful and most spoke English and tried their best to explain where we had to go. Some residents helped up with our tickets and explained where we had to leave the train and also the subway. Once we got off at our station is was a very short walk to our hotel. It is tucked away on a small walking street and therefore very quiet. We had a room on a non smoking floor and generally speaking I found the hotel to be smoke free. That is important to us as we are both non smokers and find second-hand smoke disgusting. Our room was lovely and our bathroom very large. Included in the hotel rates is a full breakfast in the hotel's dining room. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I have every seen in all my travels. The women who work in the dining room were very friendly and willing to satisfy your every need. It was a pleasure to sit in a beautiful dining room and enjoy such a delicious array of foods.
The hotel is located in the Stephansplatz area and only a few minutes away from the famous and historic St. Stephen's Cathedral. What a magnificent church. Make sure you see it and make sure you have lots of time as this church is outstanding. The whole area near the church is wonderful for shopping or for a coffee stop.
My husband and I enjoyed this area but our big problem was trying in vain to find a restaurant that offered a non smoking area. All the outdoor cafes are for smokers and of course the smoke drifts in all directions. We inquired at a number of restaurants about a non smoking area but they were at the back and you had to walk through all the smokers. That did not work for us. We were just about ready to give up and buy some food and take it back to the hotel room when I thought I would ask just one more time. I went into the Vienne Restaurant/Cafe right on the corner near our hotel and asked about a non smoking area. The young man told yes this restaurant is non smoking and we do have a room for smokers at the back. I could not believe my ears. There was a group of womem from Norway enjoying their meal and they were so happy to have a place to eat where they did not have to breathe in second-hand smoke. So I highly recommend the Vienne Restaurant 200 feet from the Hotel Austria. The food was delicious, the service great and the air was clean. Thank you so much. It was such a pleasure for us to enjoy our evening meal in a smoke free area.

Wildwood Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is about two-three blocks from St Stepehns in the square.
They say this is a 3 star and it is. Room is small, but fine for two. hotel has an elevator bathrooms are spacious enough.
the breakfast was excellant.
If you're driving good luck. Vienna is very hard to get around and this hotel is very hard to find. Use a GPS
Service was fine, nothing out of the ordinary....but nothing bad either

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Austria? Share your experiences!