“Something strange happend, but I guess it's an ok hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

ARCOTEL Wimberger
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neubaugurtel 34-36, Vienna 1070, Austria (Neubau)   |
Ranked #179 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Beersheba, Israel
“Something strange happend, but I guess it's an ok hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

There's nothing wrong with this hotel - as there's nothing special, either. But we had our share of "hotel stories" when we tried to check-in. We ordered about one month in advance. We arrived to the hotel late at night, and when we checked in, we were told that they have no rooms "because there's a problem with broken water pipes, but tomorrow you can return". That sounded a lot like one of those hotel lies they tell you when they overbooked or something like that, and the staff whispering to one another didn't encourage us too much.
At about 10PM they sent us to another hotel, down the street, and we were dragging our luggage... Not the best way to treat guests. They "compensated" us with 1 free drink per person at the bar, and that's very lame to my honest opinion.
The rooms are very regular rooms - spacy, everything was clean - as the ones you usually get in Germany. Decor what quite regular - Not fancy nor simple. We had street-facing room, and that's quite a busy street, but we didn't hear a sound. The view was a city view - a skyline with nothing special to see.
The safes in the room are a little bit weird - locked and unlocked with the keycard. Convenient - yes, but I read at a different tourism site that someone broke to a room and opened the safe using only the card. sound pretty scary, so I wouldn't leave my money at that safe.
The sleep quality was very good, as the cleanliness.
The hotel itself is located pretty good to my taste - right next (10 min' walk max) to one of the Westbahnhof, a big transport station, with buses to and from the airport, and public transportation to and from all over the city. It's also a 10 min' walk from the Mariahilfer Strasse, Vienna's main shopping street, and quite close (by transportation) to everything with "the ring". The only deterrent is that there is an adult club quite close to the hotel, which you can't miss at night because there are naked ladies showing their business at this club's windows.
We didn't have the breakfast, since 20 Euros per person seems like a very expensive price to pay.

So, Vienna was great, the hotel was just Ok. I would consider returning there if they'll deal with all the problems I mentioned, and be a little kinder.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Berkeley Heights
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hotel vey 80"s with pink and green decor in flourescent-lit bedrooms. Breakfast good but food otherwise drab with a lot of carbs/sausage/fried foods (more veggies/salads please). All this would have been tolerable as this was a business trip but the hotel just does not cater to business travellers. My computer had broken and I needed to print a document on a memory stick so I could review it. I went to the front desk to ask if they could print it. Apparetly, it is against their rules to print from a memeory stick, the document must be e-mailed to them. I was told I could go upstairs to the business center and e-mail it. When I got to the business center, there was no one there to help and the CPU's were locked in the desk, so I couldn't plug my memeory stick in. I went back doenstairs and told the girl at the desk my story and asked if she could print my document (again). At this point, the girl insisted memory sticks could be plugged in upstairs and it was just against the rules for her to print it for me. As I'd just been upstairs and knew there wasn't any where to plug in my stick, we went back and forth with her insisting that I was wrong ansd she was right. So I went back upstairs, took a photograph of the set up in the business center and asked her how I was supposed to get the document off the stick. She then conceeded that there was no way to do that and she just couldn't help me because it was "against the rules". What about the rules that hotels help thier guests with problems? This was not a particularly difficult one - she couldn't have cared less and she was obnoxious. I had to produce a photograph to prove I was right? My advice, it you need to do business, DON"T stay here. Don't stay here for pleasure either, unless you're into 80's decor and stodge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ARCOTELWimbergerWien, Manager at ARCOTEL Wimberger, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback and the oppertunity to improve our service and the standards.
We are very pleased with honest guests like you in order to achieve our ambitious goals. We are very sorry that you made some negative experiences during your stay in our hotel.

We are briefing our team and also set a few trainings for the future and we will change a few technical things with the computers.

Once again we are terribly sorry for the inconvenient stay you had with us. With „hotel testers“ like you we are able to keep our high set standards up respectivly improve then every day. We would be pleased if you will give us another chance to show you that we really care about issues our guests do have with us. We are looking forward hearing you and wish you a better stay with us next time.

best regards Nicole Zaecke Rooms Division Manager
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were quite pleased with our room - it was clean and comfortable. We also got decent pillows there, for which we were grateful. However, the hotel has its weak points:

(1) Location. This was the choice of Globus, so we had no say in the matter. It wasn't bad (on the west side of the broad boulevard that separates the 7th district from the 15th. But, it is a very long walk to the central part of the city and one really needs to get a 24 hour transit pass if one is staying at the Wimberger. Fortunately, one can get the pass at the front desk for 6.70 euros (currently). We took the subway from Westbahnhof into Stephansplatz and back on our full day in Vienna, but later the #49 tram near the hotel to get to our restaurant that evening.

(2) The breakfast buffet was chaotic and poorly organized, in our view. There was ample selection and the food was ok, but the buffet should be better set up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
tipperary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Arcotel Wimberger Vienna for 6 nights. I have to say that I everything about the hotel was first class. Our room was spacious and well equipped. The hotel is bright and airy and the staff were all more than helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a huge choice of foods. The only negative thing I found was that the jaccuzzi was out of order while we were there and we were looking forward to relaxing after long days sightseeing.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard facing room which we found to be very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ARCOTELWimbergerWien, Front Office Manager at ARCOTEL Wimberger, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind feedback.
We would like to thank you for your stay at ARCOTEL Wimberger and we are glad that you enjoyed our service.
We are very sorry that there were some technical issues with the jaccuzzi during your stay but we hope that we can welcome you again at ARCOTEL Wimberger and that you can also enjoy our jaccuzzi at your next stay.
Kind regards, your ARCOTEL Wimberger team!
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had a one night stay in the hotel. The rooms are nice and spacious, but quite basic. The staff are friendly.
Hotel is clean, but requires renovation. Breakfast is extraordinary good.
The hotel is located in a central spot

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ARCOTELWimbergerWien, Front Office Manager at ARCOTEL Wimberger, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear guest, thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad, that you enjoyed your stay in our ARCOTEL Wimberger. We also wanted to tell you that there will be some renovations within the next weeks. It would be great to welcome you again in our hotel. Kind Regards, your ARCOTEL Wimberger team!
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for 2 nights in August. Wouldn't rate it four star. We had reserved a double bed room. Luckily we got upgraded to a better room because of unavailability, but the room were only ok for a 4 star hotel. Even though the rooms had air con, the room was still hot. So the staff provided us a fan. Bathroom was good and spacious. Breakfast and wifi is free. Excellent and wide choice in breakfast. The hotel is in a good location,there mite be few "clubs" nearby,but it did not bother us in anyway. Its a 10 - 15 mins walk from the railway station. Limited restaurants and shops near to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ARCOTELWimbergerWien, Manager at ARCOTEL Wimberger, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your feedback.
We are very sorry that there were some technical issues with the air condition which we already managed to clearify.
Our hotel is located centrally and in five minutes walking distance to the railway station "Westbahnhof" and Austria´s biggest shopping street "Mariahilferstraße" .
We would like to thank you for your stay at ARCOTEL Wimberger and hope to welcome you again.
Kind regards, your ARCOTEL Wimberger team!
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in August 2012. Though we had specially requested for an early check in, we didnt get the room and had to pay extra to get a superior room. The room is a bit hot though the air condition is working. But the hotel staff was kind enough to provide a fan in the room. Moreover, they also provided a baby cot for my son. The breakfast is very good. There was a wide variety of choices. The room is neat and the hotel is close to the station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, first of all we would like to thank you for your feedback.
Check in is is from 2:00 p.m.. We gladly provide the possibility to check in at a prior time but when we are fully booked on the day before, it might be not possible to get in the room earlier.
We are glad that you enjoyed our service and it would be great to welcome you again at ARCOTEL Wimberger. Your ARCOTEL Wimberger team!

Been to ARCOTEL Wimberger? Share your experiences!