“Nice budget hotel, great for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Tabor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taborstrasse 25, Vienna 1020, Austria (Leopoldstadt)   |
Ranked #292 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
UK
“Nice budget hotel, great for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I travelled here on business in April 2007. The hotel is quite 'worn', but the rooms are clean and well appointed. Good access to the tram, although you can easily walk into the centre in under 15 minutes.

The hotel is good value for business/budget travellers, although if I was to visit for leisure I would probably spend more money and upgrade to a higher star hotel.

The surrounding area is quiet at night, so no worries getting a good nights sleep.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Gavle, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Stayed at this hotel in june 2010 for a work/pleasure trip with 8 colleauges.
Room was surprisingly large as was the bathroom. Beds were ok.
Breakfast was good for this parts of the world.
Location was also good. 10 minutes walk to Schwedenplatz and the "Bermuda triangle" and there is shops, U-bahn and some restaurants nearby.
Cant really judge the price vs value as i dont know what we payed but after checking rates online i guess its quite good.
Reception was very friendly as they helped us arrange taxis, tours and lunches with great success.
The hotel is perfectly allright for its three stars and for anyone who needs fair priced accomodation that can accept less than perfect wallpaper!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My booking was made via a conference booking scheme, but the rate was still a bit high for what we got. The rooms were certainly functional but the décor was tired and very dated and still featured an ashtray despite the hotel being "smoke-free". The bathroom was fine apart from the very dim lighting. The bed was very comfortable but the room was ridiculously stuffy, even with the window open, but, although the street was noisy, my earplugs meant this was not a problem. The breakfast was ok, a typical continental affair, the only hot food being boiled eggs. The breakfast room was even more stuffy than the bedrooms! It must have been around 30 °C. The staff did their job well and responded to a lot of requests but not always with a smile. However, the hotel manager was certainly very bubbly and seemed keen to please. Finally, in this day and age I cannot fathom why hotels cannot provide free wireless internet. It costed €7 for one day or €10 for the week. Opting for the latter, I found the signal to be very poor. The connection was slow and periodically disconnected. Not what you want when you're trying to check in for your flight online. All in all it wasn't that bad, but I would consider going back again if they got aircon in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
West Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Tabor for 3 nights in early August. Our room was overlooking Tabor Stasse which was noisy from 5 AM to 2 AM with street cars, traffic and shouting people. With no air conditioning, the only way the room was bearable was to leave the one window open all night. While the location is good, if you can't get any sleep you don't feel like doing much during the day. The only way I would consider staying at this hotel in the future would be during the cool part of the year and if I were guaranteed a room overlooking the interior alley/court or the side street.

Stayed August 2009
Scranton, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed five nights at the Hotel Tabor and were pleased by our experience. Yes, the decor is outdated and there is no air conditioning (as advertized). We wanted a place to sleep with breakfast included, and this hotel was ideal for us. We walked everywhere, and this hotel was only 10 minutes from the main plaza by foot. Also, it is a 20 minute walk to the train station that serves the airport (the CAT train) so we were able to buy 10 euro tickets to get to our flights, rather than take an expensive taxi. The hotel is close enough to the main tourist attractions that we went back around 4pm each day for a siesta before heading out for dinner and evening sightseeing. The breakfasts had ample choices (fruit, rolls, cereal, juices, cold cuts, cheese, coffee). We did not pay for internet at the hotel, as there was a shop down the Taborstrasse that charged one euro for thirty minutes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband, mother and were to stay here for 2 nights.

I ended up hating Vienna (albeit unfairly) because of this hotel.

I don't mind paying for the internet, even expensive as it was, even when they say I will have 70% signal rate. My signal rate of 70% was only if I sat in the bathroom. To be fair there was a decent bar downstairs where there were no problems with the signal, but this is the only compliment I give this place (along with the Ibuffet breakfast which was pretty good with lots of choices). We left a day early because I hated it.

As trivial as this may be my bigger disappointment was that in this day and age that a hotel (no matter the age) can be renovated, but there are no power points in the room. The only power point was for the TV and one in the bathroom. I could not charge my phone or laptop or anything else unless I did everything in the bathroom.

There was no air con, the room got the afternoon sun and you had to open all of the windows as it was stifling.

Renovation has been minimal, it is musty the carpets are old and the cupboards in the room were creepy.

It didn't help when a group of 40 Spanish teenagers turned up to stay at the hotel, the noise was unbearable.

The staff weren't rude, but they weren't friendly. Everything was matter of fact.

Never again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

First of all, I and colleagues went to this hotel as it was recommended by the travel agency responsible for the arrangements of the Conference we attended. As other meetings, we thought that the price charged was a special tariff but no, we paid almost more 80,50 € per/night.
Despite the high price charged, I may say that the hotel was awful:
Room:
- the face towels and Body&Hair shower gel in the bathroom were inexistent;
- no air conditioning. We had to open the window and the street was noisy;
- The carpet was too old;
General Services:
- the breakfast had the minimum; Sometimes the bread was from the day before; the place was terrible;
- the staff was really antipathetic and sometimes very rude;
- Internet is not for free and you have to pay a lot. In the rooms the signal is very low.

General appreciation: We were extremely disappointed with this hotel and especially after the price charged per night.

The only advantage is the location.

If you want my advice, don’t go there. Try to find another hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Tabor? Share your experiences!