“Gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bucuresti
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel, on a business trip in Vienna.
Everything was absolutely perfect! The staff at the reception have a good English knowledge, they even know some words in several different other languages:). The room was pretty small, but very clean and well serviced.
The breakfast was also good with a wide choice.
The restaurant staff - always smiling and helpful

The location of the hotel is perfect - really close to the old town but still in a quite area. It is easily accessible from the airport by CAT train (walking distance from the station).

Overall, the next time I`m in Vienna, I will definitely book this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Stefanie, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Sebastian_Tapu,

We are delighted that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and find it to be absolutely perfect!
Thank you for your nice compliments.

We hope you will soon be staying with us again.

In the meantime, we send best regards to Bucaresti.

Schick Hotels – Over a Century of Viennese charm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leskovac, Serbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

During my stay in Vienna at ESMO Congress,29 September 2012 in the morning,about 8 30 h,in room 507 I saw man who ,when he saw that I woke up,ran out of the room . After returning colleague Dr Kosta ,we saw that we lost our money in the Eu and dinars. The police were called but without effect. During the theft, the woman who cleans the floor was in one of the adjacent room with the door open, but she said she didn't see anything ...??? My stay in Vienna in 5 days was torture for me.

Room Tip: Room on south side are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Goran_Z1631744,

Thank you for your review.

Unfortunately you had a very bad experience since you have been stolen money from your room. We very much regret this happening and could we undo it, we certainly would.

At the time of the theft, the room was unlocked and the stolen money lay on the table, although all our rooms offer a safe.

The reception react by calling the police in order to view the theft.

I can really assure you that the welfare of our guests is very important to us and that this situation was even for us a challenge.

We wish you all the best and remain,

with best regards

Puget Sound
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The public areas of the Hotel Stefanie--the 18th-century wedding-cake exterior, the restaurant and terrace, the lobby--are textbook European charm. Strikingly pretty and classy. Very impressive.

The rooms are clean, but tiny and dark. I also toured Prague, Budapest, and Frankfurt, and my room in Hotel Stefanie was not only the most expensive, but less than half the size of the next smallest room I stayed in. It was also dim; even when I turned on every available light in the room, the room was still quite dark.

I found some of the bathroom impractical and frankly odd. The extendable, lighted makeup mirror was fixed so high on the wall that only a six-foot-tall supermodel would be able to use it. The bathtub looked, ostensibly, like it would be a delight, with its built-in bath seat/shelf. But if you wanted to take a shower, you had to climb in over that seat, but first awkwardly flatten yourself up against the bathtub tile wall (while standing on that seat...a little scary) to fold the glass shower door out and into place. To get out of the shower, you must step up on the now-wet-and-slippery built-in seat, fold the glass shower door back and out of your way, then climb down out of the tub with nothing to hold onto and steady yourself against except the sink.

The worst experience for me, however, was some mix-up about my use of the mini-bar. Apparently, the mini-bar fridge was supposed to be stocked with four Milka chocolate bars. When I checked in, I threw my water bottle in the fridge, and noticed a single, half-eaten chocolate bar stuck behind some bottles in the fridge door. I assumed that the previous occupants had purchased it. The mini-bar hadn't been restocked with the apparently typical four chocolate bars before my arrival. Two days later, I guess one of the maids finally noticed that the fridge offered only a half-eaten chocolate bar; I returned to my room as she was marking down the missing chocolate bars, billing me for all four of them. I explained, in both English and German, that I hadn't taken a single chocolate bar out of the fridge, and that I'd purchased completely different chocolate from the Spar market down the street, but hadn't partaken of the mini-bar offerings. She then pulled the half-eaten chocolate bar from previous occupants out of the fridge and WAVED IT IN MY FACE, (oh yes, she did) as if that was proof of anything other than a lousy job of cleaning/restocking the mini-bar before my arrival. She said, in broken English, "Four! There were four! You ate these!" No, I didn't. She refused to believe me, so I had to talk to the front desk about it. Fortunately, they removed the mini-bar charges after I spoke to them. She'd billed me not only for four chocolate bars, but two Cokes.

Things that really pleased me about this hotel? The breakfast buffet is marvelous. There's nothing there you can possibly want for breakfast that isn't there. Both drip coffee and espresso-machine coffee are available. The hotel restaurant and room service were top-notch, with generous portions of excellent, traditional Viennese fare. Also, this was the only hotel I stayed at in Europe that offered face washcloths among the bath linens; so few hotels in Europe seem to get what a great convenience those are.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Stefanie, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Madre_di_Dios,

Thank you for writing about your experience.

With delight we read that already the exterior impressed you and thank you for your kind compliments for the cleanliness, the breakfast buffet and the hotel restaurant.

Regarding the rooms: the Hotel Stefanie offers different room categories and sizes. Similarly, there are rooms located to the front or to the courtyard. Prices are subject to availability, date and possibly held major events; such as congresses. We will be pleased to help you finding the right offer for your next stay with us!

We regret that there has been some mix-up about your mini-bar consumption. Please do accept our sincere excuses. The minibar control usually takes place every day as well as the refill, thus the complete offer should have been available at arrival.
Your important critic has already been passed to the housekeeping department in order to avoid a repetition and optimize the processes. We thank you for steering our attention to this matter. Again, sorry.

Please do not hesitate to contact the reception during your stay at the moment you find some irregularity or have some question. The colleagues will be pleased to help.

We still hope you will keep your stay in good memories and look forward to welcome you back in future.

In the meantime, we remain,

with kind regards

savannah ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Spent three nights at this old but obviously recently-updated hotel with its clean red carpets, sparkly chandeliers, and old-world hospitality such as one should expect but rarely find in large European cities. Though just outside the "ring road", it was very easy to get to public transportation and/or walk to most places. We walked everywhere. As others have noted, the breakfast is outstanding -- fresh in-season fruits, authentic local breads and pastries, scrambled eggs, excellent bacon, yogurt with many toppings, salmon, etc., and yes, champagne. What stood out for us was the service -- the housekeepers were prompt and very thorough (room was spotless, including the rug!); and the front desk staff was friendly, open, knowledgeable in about 7 languages, always ready to help and with a big smile. Nothing was too much to ask. Such a pleasure! As others have also noted, rooms in the front of the hotel face a busy street, so ask for one further back. Downside of that was WiFi didn't work well in the rear rooms. Rooms 272, 274 and 374 were larger than many others...

Room Tip: rooms away from the front of the hotel will be quieter, but WiFi will be spotty at best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dshea1013,

We are happy that you choose our Hotel Stefanie for your Viennese visit and are delighted to learn, that you enjoyed the “old-world hospitality”!

We appreciate your nice compliments, especially for the staff, the breakfast offer and the hotel location. Thank you.

Regarding the Wifi not working well: please do accept our sincere excuses. We already had a technical review and have strengthened the system.

The rooms you mentioned (except of Nr. 374 which does not exist!), are all superior category rooms. This is why they are larger than others.

We thank you for sharing your impressions with us and the TripAdvisor community and look forward to your next visit.

In the meantime, we remain,

with kind regards

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was located close to the "Inner Ring" and all public transport (street trams, subway etc.) making it ideal for seeing the sites of Vienna. The room was large, clean and away from the front streets that can be busy and loud at times. The breakfast was as superb as many of the other reviewers have noted. Overall a great value and a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Stefanie, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Peter A,

We are very pleased to read your comments and happy that you had a pleasant stay at our Hotel Stefanie.

The hotel is situated just a few minutes walk from the Schwedenplatz, which is a very good transport node with subways, street trams and airport bus.

We hope that one of your next trips will lead you again to Vienna and we are looking forward to your next visit.

With best regards

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I liked almost everything: staff, location. The breakfasts are very good (but uniform) has its own parking lot - but by reservation (about 10 parking spaces) The room was cozy, but a little too small.
Do not like it: in our room only 2 sockets. Garage tight fit for the "long" machines

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tor89!

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us and the TripAdvisor community.

We are happy that our staff, the breakfast offer and the hotel location convinced you.

The Hotel Stefanie offers about thirteen garage lots. If you already know when booking the room that you will need a place, we recommend reserving this already.
Should the garage be fully booked, the front desk will inform about further parking options.

We would be pleased to welcome you soon again. In the meantime, we remain,

with best regards

Solihull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Stefanie in the summer of 2005. I realise it may have changed over the years, but i have extremely good memories of this small and beautiful hotel. If I return to Vienna, I would definitely return to the Hotel Stefanie. I particularly remember the splendid breakfasts - among the finest I have ever experienced - with 2 kinds of champagne, strawberries, and a fine array of the more usual offerings. Luxe decor, charming ambience, and an excellent location. A perfect place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear GadaboutSolihull,

We must admit that we were surprised to get a review on TripAdvisor from a guest, which was many years ago (in 2005) with us.

But we are very pleased that you kept us in good memories and we thank you for posting your review.

It would be very nice to get the possibility to count you again to our guests and we therefore look forward to seeing you soon in Vienna!?

With kind regards

Schick Hotels – Over a Century of Viennese charm

Been to Hotel Stefanie? Share your experiences!