“A somehow enjoyable place, overpriced.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Daniel Vienna

You added Daniel Vienna to your Saves list
Daniel Vienna
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Landstrasser Gurtel 5, Vienna 1030, Austria (Landstraße)   |
Ranked #110 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
“A somehow enjoyable place, overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The overall design concept is very nice, with particulars I really liked in the rooms (I saw 2 different rooms). But, I reckon, that is subjective. Rooms are clean and spacy enough; staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast room is very comfortable and enjoyable. On the contrary, breakfast food is slightly messy and not very good in quality, though well presented. I would say, more dishes, cutlery, funny baskets and coffee mugs than actual food. Being on a business trip, I cannot really say if tourist facilities, bus and metro are at hand, but the location is nothing special. At 130 euros for a single room with breakfast, it is definitely overpriced. I would not go there on a tourist trip, which the hotel seems most suitable for.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Baden, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was very impressed about the outside look of the hotel. The boat on top of the building impressed me very much, I also liked the trailer, which looks really nice. Also the reception area and the bakery look very impressive. I only went into the bakery (for the first time ) and I really liked the design of it. Also they offer a good choice of food and drinks there, although I thought it was a bit pricy, but hey, that's Vienna. But the staff is extremely friendly, which is not usual for Vienna, because you find lots of grumpy staff in other hotels and restaurants in Vienna. It is located near the train station. If you have to wait for a train connection and you dont wanna stay in the station, this is the place to go. I can't say anything about the rooms, I did not stay there over night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St annes , lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I just spent 3 nights in hotel daniel vienna, and I have to say how happy I was that I picked this hotel.
No stress, no over trained and snoby staff just easy friendly 'normal' people who did everything to make my stay as wonderful as possible.
I have to recomend eating in the bakery (the name of the restaurant in the hotel), very creative and inovative menu without any of the usual fair that you find in every other hotel these days.
alltogether I have a great time and will be checking out the other hotels in Graz from this company.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 'smart zimmer' wich was great but next time i'll fork out a bit more for t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Very original design both in the public areas and rooms. Very stylish foyer and bar.
Hotel is located a bit outside the center of Vienna, yet it is well connected with trams so it takes 15-20 minutes to get to the city center.
Our rooms was clean and comfortable and we liked a shower location (inside bedroom).
The only minus was construction jobsite just opposite the hotel, which woke us up in the morning.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Nice hotel with an unusual design. The little signs written on everything were cute such as "We love new guests except for the fire brigade" That's their way of saying "no smoking" :)
Funky design for almost everything. The room was nice and spacious with a lot of natural light thanks to the huge window.
The hammock however, was not so good as it was too small.. the wood on which it hangs should be longer to enable you to lie down properly, at this size it is suitable for kids.
If you are with friends or family, the shower might be a problem as the shower walls are mainly transparent glass. Anyone in the room can see you showering.
The restaurant food was good but not much English on the menu, only German.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Locationwise, it is not ideal, however, not far from the city via tram and train/metro.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Spent one night on the sixth floor facing the street. the room is modern, but small - no cabinets for your luggage and clothes. small separate toilet, small separate shower and the water faucet in the room where you easily splash water all around the floor. Though the high floor, the traffic noises come through clearly, take your earplugs with you. 2 elevators that are really small, max 3 people without luggage etc.

service is good, efficient and friendly. The combined cafe, breakfast room and restaurant is quite nice, though I did not like visitors coming in with their dogs...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bucuresti, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

So I have arrived at this accomodation unit in some day, being a little tired after the flight and being quite eager to get some rest. The young lady from the reception and, generally, the reception staff are nice guys which are trying to do their best to satisfy the customer. Unfortunatelly, their options are limited due to faulty management of the “hotel”. Got some technical problems with the shower cabin, but they were fixed. The room was cleaned daily. Oh, and let's not forget the WiFi, which was somehow working. It gets 6 out of 10. Unfortunatelly, here is where the good things ends. What follows… well, better read it than live it.

“Urban stay”. That’s the perfect excuse used by this so-called hotel while they ask for 120+ euro/night (forget the 92 euro/night which they say on the website, it is just a nice story meant to attract potential customers) in exchange for not just poor, but terrible conditions (also, forget the glossy and glamorous pictures from the website, they are 5% truth and 95% photoshop. See the pictures attached). It is simply a proof of rudeness to ask for this amount of money when what you offer is a room with no wardrobe, no refrigerator, with a unfinished ceiling, with cracks in the roof and walls and which looks like a prison cell from the fifties. I am honestly not able to understand this creepy concept of “urban stay” when the room has very serious lack of privacy (in order for you to take a shower, you need to close the blinds so people outside or from the vis-à-vis building will not be able to watch you inside the shower cabin, which has a glass wall facing the window) and very serious lack of food hygiene. I say lack of food hygiene because the management of this so-called hotel decided that they are so dog-friendly that dogs are allowed to roam inside the breakfast area during the breakfast time. I personally have seen a man with a large dog (a golden retriever) entering the breakfast area while people were eating. I am truly sorry that I did not take pictures of this event, but I think I have been too shocked when I have seen that the dog was not wearing a muzzle (so there was the danger of people being bitten by the animal) and that it was touching the tables surface with its tail (there was the very high possibility of getting dog hair in your food). I have discussed this with the staff from the breakfast and the reception but they claimed that this is ok and that this is a usual practice. This is definitely NOT ok, this is just a lack of common sense from the management of the hotel which allowed this, this is not just some weird “urban neo-hipster stay” concept! This fact made me not to have breakfast anymore is this so-called hotel. They are anyway saying on the website that they would rather eat their own breakfast instead of sharing it – well, enjoy your food with dog hares, gentlemen! Mahlzeit!

All these events made me shorten my stay in this miserable “hotel” by 3 nights. I have booked a real hotel and stayed there for the rest of my visit in Vienna. For sure, I will never-ever come again to this so-called hotel Daniel and I will also strongly advise other people to avoid it. The management of this “hotel” has to learn that either they lower the prices (40-50 euro/room/night is a more appropriate price for the current conditions), either they raise the accomodation standards so the building can really be called a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Weitzer-Hotels, Manager at Daniel Vienna, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear calinpirlog,

to cut a long story short:
We take your comments about “Daniel Vienna Urban Stay” seriously and we are very concerned about the fact that your description of your stay is an absolute “Dislike”.
On the one hand it makes us feeling a little bit sad, because a young, urban traveller like you is judging us in a quite conservative way by using expressions which would in a way offend. On the other hand we want to thank you for taking so much time to describe your disappointment about our hotel.
Not everybody may like our work, but this is also part of our concept. The Daniel Vienna became its home in a building which is a listed building (protected as a “monument”) and together with our architectural consultants along with our ideas the Daniel Vienna has grown.
It would be another long story to explain the background to you, but we don not know if that would help you to like us. There is a big choice of hotels which will meet your expectations much better than our concept. We have respect for being different and accept your point of view as well as your expectations did not meet with our concept.
There is already a big community of fans who regularly visit the Daniel Vienna and we are very proud of many positive comments and articles in Newspapers, Magazines and Blogs.

We are different, we are positive for the future and we trust in our concept!
We are optimistic for the world!

Been to Daniel Vienna? Share your experiences!