“The best food I have eaten on my trip in Europe!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant 1070

Restaurant 1070
Gutenberggasse 28, 1070 Wien, Vienna 1070, Austria (Neubau)
+43-676-566 1774
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #216 of 2,878 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Vegetarian, International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Neubau
“The best food I have eaten on my trip in Europe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This restaurant has such an original concept- there is no menu but they ensure that your dietary requirements are thoroughly met. There were three of us - including one vegetarian and a 10 year old who was gluten intolerant and they managed to cater for all of us despite us not knowing what each course was going to be. We had four courses (dessert included) plus wine & bread and our bill was just over 100 euro - the quality of food was outstanding and we walked out really full. The service was excellent (the restaurant owner) was very lovely to us. The restaurant was easy to access (hop off the metro at Volkstheater) I would devotedly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a unique dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“A nice surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel and it did not disappoint.

I was with my wife and my sister, who speaks German. The wasn't a menu, so language would hardly have been a barrier in any case. Service was friendly.

They asked if there was any foods we couldn't eat (or didn't want to eat) - and them they brought out small/entre size surprise dishes. After 3 dishes they asked if we wanted another (we did).

We were served lamb with breaded cauliflower, parsnip soup, fish with creamy broth, lentils and baby green beans, and finally pork cutlet with sauerkraut. The flavours were great. Presentation was homely (attractive but not pretentious).

Would recommend if you are nearby and feel like a surprise!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Nice little place in Vienna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We foun this restaurant eith my wife. The food was very good (they serve you a surprise meal in three courses).
The staff was great. Would recommend it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Erie, Colorado
“My favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel and it was by far, my favorite restaurant in Vienna. I loved the atmosphere and I really loved the "tasting" atmosphere. I haven't read other reviews but you probably already know that it's pretty much a fixed menu...although they will not serve anything you don't eat (fish, meat, etc.)...so every course is a surprise. There were four of us in our party....we were all delighted and surprised by some things we were served that we would typically would not have ordered. Every course was perfect and delicious. I thought of it as similar to being at a dinner party where I ate whatever was served....loved it!

Visited September 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A great experience (but it isn't vegetarian really)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Went to this restaurant solely on the basis of the very positive reviews. Everything I read was spot on - no menu but they work around your likes/dislikes, 3 small dishes but you can add more, delicious food and great service. The clever thing is it makes you try things you wouldn't normally have as they are there in front of you ready to eat! It claims to be a vegetarian restaurant but we were asked if we liked fish and meat, but this is pretty common in the vegetarian restaurants I've visited in Austria so far. Tip - try and think ahead of going there what you really don't like as you may forget when there (my wife did and had to eat scallops)

• Visited June 2012