“Very nice hotel with an accomdating staff, mislead on the parking avail.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Exe Vienna

You added Hotel Exe Vienna to your Saves list
Hotel Exe Vienna
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34-36 Ottakringer Strasse, Vienna 1170, Austria (Formerly Mate Hotel)   |
Ranked #243 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Waukee, Iowa
“Very nice hotel with an accomdating staff, mislead on the parking avail.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I came here with my girlfriend and after navigating through the hectic streets of Vienna parked to go check in. After coming in I was extremely disappointed to be told that the free parking they offered was full, we then drove around for another 20 minutes to find a spot a 1/4 mile away. This was a slight inconvience but nothing to ruin the night, so after getting checked in and getting our room key we get up to our room and the air conditioning was broken causing the room to feel like a sauna. We went down and told the staff at the front desk and they immediately set us up with a different room. The pool looked very nice but we did not take advantage of it being it was past pool hours (a hotel worker told us it would be ok if we wanted to go for a swim it would be alright, which I found to be very generous of them). All in all a good hotel, just make sure you can check in early enough to get a parking spot and I would say you'll have no issues.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Vienna was my last stop for this trip.
We arrived by train from Salzburg early in the night and headed straight to the metro station. Unfortunately, due to some works, the line would remain closed at the particular section that we wanted to use for quite some time. Nevertheless, there was someone at the platform informing all the passengers about alternative routes to their destinations, so it was still easy for us to reach our hotel, but it would take a bit longer.
The tram stop was just a few meters away from the hotel’s entrance, but the hotel’s sign wasn’t so clear from a distance and we had s slight difficulty to locate it. When we finally arrived, the receptionist welcomed us and gave us our cards in practically no time. We then went straight to our room.
It was vast. Probably one of the bigger rooms I have ever stayed at. It had a medium living room, equipped with two sofas and a small table, as well as a desk, and a huge bedroom equipped with a quite big television set and a minibar. In the living room there was an extra bed set for the third person, where I would sleep. Even though it was a small movable bed, it was very comfortable. The only thing that bothered me a little was the pillow, which was very soft for my taste, but that didn’t keep me from enjoying my sleep after a long journey.
Something that didn’t make a good impression to me, though, was the fact that the sofa’s armrest was a bit dirty with some stains all over it. I guess the housekeeping service could have cleaned it.
The bathroom, now, was fantastic. Big, bright, clean, and equipped with all the amenities one would expect from a 4-star hotel; soap, shampoo, a hair cover, and a comb. The bathtub was great and I could enjoy a relaxing bath. Every day, the bathroom was restocked and cleaned, as if new guests would be arriving.
The air-conditioning system was operating perfectly, but we really didn’t need it as the weather was mild.
I was planning to visit the swimming pool one afternoon, but, since we would stay in Vienna for just a couple of days, I preferred to visit some architectural monuments that we were taught about in school. It was really easy to locate them on the map that I found in the reception area, and the public transportation system is so good, that I visited nearly all of them, since I didn’t want to wander around in the night, and there was a film festival taking place at the square in front of the city hall that I didn’t want to miss.
Tram line 44 passed right in front of the hotel and ended near the city hall, making it really easy to go to all the important sights and monuments, as well as to a metro station, from which you could go practically everywhere in the city.
Checking out was even faster than checking in and the people at the front desk were happy and helpful till the last moment of our stay.
Again we didn’t choose to have breakfast at the hotel, and headed towards the city centre. On our way we decided to stop and visit the University of Vienna, where we found a small café in the central courtyard, which had a great variety of breakfast options; from tea to hot chocolate, and from a simple croissant to the most exquisite sandwich. An idea, I would certainly suggest to any friend travelling to Vienna.
Overall, I must say that I am very satisfied from my choice, and I would certainly suggest this particular hotel, as well as the chain it belongs to, to any of my friends travelling abroad in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Donegal, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My partner and I are moving to Vienna,and booked a room for one night in this hotel as we had business in town early the next morning. Unfortunately, the U-Bahn is currently being worked on in this area, making cross city travel an inconvenience- you have to wait on a tram then get a U-Bahn to get around, which isn't ideal for rush hour travelling.
Now, to the hotel. As other reviewers have said, the outside really isn't appealing- the blue sign looks so shabby, and the street itself is gritty, a bit too "real city" and must be a major disappointment if this is your first experience of Wien. The reception area is bland, and the dining room also unremarkable, clean but nothing charming about it. Breakfast is buffet style, and choices are reasonable enough. Receptionists seem efficient and cool, some of the famous Viennese charm?
The major let down was the room itself. It was on the 7th floor, right beside the door for the lift. The room was tiny, and although the room itself was physically clean, the wallpaper was shabby and the bathroom was tiny. The hairdryer is one of those awful ones where you must hold it in the on position for it to work- really frustrating to use. The shower was so so, with average water pressure . The bed was really hard and so uncomfortable, making it really difficult to sleep, and the thin walls meant that we heard the couple next door testing the bed and headboard late into the night.We could also hear other people's whistling and phone conversations. Although they might have been having a really good time in Eurostars Vienna, ours left us with a feeling of being ripped off [ four stars mein arsch!] and of wanting to warn other people tempted by last minute hotel deals offering amazing discounts on this "Four Star Hotel": please,don't go there!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hertford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

This hotel was sold to us on the basis it was four star and in the centre of Vienna. It most definitely was not either.
I do not know how they have the cheek to class this as four star. Hotel. The Hotel look s ugly and dated from the outside and in a not particularly nice road or area. The rooms are not only very basic and shabby but also not very clean. The walls of our bedroom was splattered with dirty marks (as if somebody had shaken a beer can everywhere but a very long time ago.) The shower in the bath is situated in front on the large bathroom window to the outside world. The bed is very cheap and hard and the furniture had seen better days. Overall a very depressing room even for just two nights.
The staff although reasonably efficient not very friendly or welcoming.
We paid for breakfast separately 15 Euros each, which we thought was expensive for the quality of the buffet style breakfast. The staff seemed to be reluctant and slow to replenish anything that had run out.
We looked at the pool and the Gym and was not impressed with either the cleanliness or safety.
To get to the centre of Vienna you had to get the tram which took about 10-15 minutes which although not a huge problem as Vienna's transport system is very efficient but hassel if you want to wash and change before going out for dinner in the evening.
We feel we have been ripped off as this is more of a two star hotel .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My parents and I had booked a triple room at the Eurostars Vienna. I read the reviews of the hotel on this site and various other travel sites after I had made my reservation, and all the negativity made me feel really nervous about whether our stay at this hotel would be a pleasant one.

It was. The hotel is quite wonderful. The location, although not really at the center of the city, is quite a convenient place to stay in. You have a very short walk to a tram stop on either side of the hotel, and a small 4-5 min walk to the Alserstrasse metro station, from where you are easily connected to the rest of the city. We went to all the major tourist sights (Schonbrunn, Opera house, etc) on the metro from Alserstrasse, and it was all very easy and comfortable. The hotel is surrounded by a number of restaurants on all sides as well, so there aren't many culinary issues either.

The triple room was spacious and very comfortable. Both the room and the bathroom were really clean. I didn't find anything dirty or untidy about the room we stayed in, which was a problem a lot of the reviews had suggested I would incur. The wi-fi connection in the room was also pretty good. We enjoyed the breakfast, where there was a fairly wide spread of food. Overall, our stay was excellent.

I can't comment on their swimming pool, because I didn't bother checking it out at all. The only major complaint I had was about the air conditioning unit in the room. Although it was working, it was heavily under-powered and really failed to cool the whole triple room. Also, the receptionist is not exactly rude. He has a very Ice-cool no-nonsense way of talking to you. Certainly could be a little warmer, but calling him rude would be harsh.

In its budget bracket, this is a really good hotel and I would certainly recommend it.
Would not mind staying here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is awkwardly situated needing either a tram + metro... Walk + metro or a long (not very Interesting) walk... The hotel from the outside is uninspiring 60's and tired looking... Reception staff are helpful and efficient... The room was in a poor condition - especially the floor which had been flooded at some stage.. The hotel seems to be a series of 'add-ons' to expand the number of rooms.. I was placed in such an add-on ... A consequence was an increase in the noise levels from outside... (clatter of cars parking and there must be a playground close by). I shan't forgive the hotel for placing me nextto the housekeepers closet... I had a trolly full of soiled linen permanently at the door of my room!

• Stayed May 2011
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have to admit I was a little worried about staying at this hotel after reading all the reviews but overall i was very pleased with everything. The location is a little on the outskirts but not a big deal because the U-bahn stop is 3 blocks away and within 5 mintues or so you are in the center of town. The staff was very helpful, they heard me talking in Spanish to another person and they immediately greeted me in Spanish. As for the room it was always clean, good size, and comfortable. The bathroom is a little small not that didn't bother me. Breakfast was great, eggs, bacon, sausage and some great juice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Exe Vienna? Share your experiences!