“Hard to evaluate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fuerst Metternich

You added Hotel Fuerst Metternich to your Saves list
Hotel Fuerst Metternich
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Esterhazygasse 33, Vienna 1060, Austria (Formerly Austrotel Fuerst Metternich)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #112 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Vienna
“Hard to evaluate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

With a group of friends I stayed at Fuerst Metternich at the beginning of November 2014. I need to start with a little of bad news to gradually move on to good news.
I had booked a B&B twin room single occupancy on the assumption that I would get a room with a bed at least slightly larger than the beds in the single rooms which were also offered as a choice for less money while twin rooms were also offered as double rooms.
My first unpleasant surprise right upon arrival was that in order to get to the reception I had to climb a staircase of about 15 steps and there was no one to help me with my luggage. Given that I have a bad knee (recently broken and barely healed) I had to ask some nice hotel guests to help me with my luggage up those stairs. Once I got my room key I took the elevator that got me to the 4th floor from where there was another staircase of about 20 very high and narrow steps which lead to the attic. I could not climb these steps with my luggage for the life of me!
That some rooms are in the attic with no elevator MUST be communicated to prospective guests before they make their booking!

I went back to the reception and demanded to be given a room on a floor reachable by the elevator. The receptionists were nice and understanding, but still I had to stay one night in the attic room and moved to a decent room the next day.
The attic room had two narrow and uncomfortable beds and was quite small, with a tiny bathroom and low slanting attic ceiling (tall people, beware!) whereas the room to which I moved the next day was much, much better - no luxury but just as good and comfortable as a room I paid for should be.
So, for me, staying at this hotel was a good experience which started rather badly. Therefore, I would advise all travelers considering staying at Fuerst Metternich to double check whether they will be getting what they pay for.

Breakfast was good (average Viennese breakfast with no bells and whistles) and the hotel staff was nice and helpful.
The hotel's location is very good for those who go to Vienna to see the sights, visit museums, see art shows, and go to the opera and concerts.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel provided you make sure in advance that you'll get what you bargained for.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good and the rooms clean. We had little problems with the wi-fi but we stayed just above the reception, one flight of stairs away. Some noise carried from the streets and the room was always quite hot, but that's a general problem with old building in Wien I heard.
Hotel's really close to MariahilferS. , which is the main shopping street in Wien. It's really easy to just go on a stroll in the evening to go out and eat, or during the day, go with the metro to reach many sights really fast.
Wasn't too expensive either!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have stayed in this hotel three times and had only good experiences. The location is just a few steps from Mariahilfer Strasse, which is great. And the center is also not far away. The prices are ok, if you book one of the special offers. The wifi was a bit problematic and didn't work as it should. Otherwise the rooms were clean. The furniture in some was new, in the other times it was outdated. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel in Vienna and my experience was good. It could have been better if the wi-fi internet (which is included in the price) really worked at the bedroom.
To get to use the internet on my devices (iPad, iPhone) I needed to go down stairs to the living room by the reception. No chance of using wi-fi on the second floor where my room was located.
The breakfast was good, the bedroom and bathroom were comfortable and very clean. And the location of the hotel was perfect - just one subway station from Vienna Westbahnhof train station.
I could stay at this hotel again but only if they improved the quality of the wi-fi internet (which nowadays is very important for international travelers like me).

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

Hotel just around the corner from the main shopping Mall and underground.

Large room a bit tired but huge renovated bathroom and large bar fridge.
Did not include breakfast in the package as it seemed expensive. Went around the corner each morning for coffee and strudel a much better deal.

Overall enjoyed our stay and the American cocktail bar on the ground floor was a bonus but a bit expensive. You will find cheaper cocktail offerings else where in Vienna.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
ms
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

Awesome hotel...staff very friendly, and room was immaculate. Bathroom was immaculate. These are 2 very important things to me! Could find no fault...bed so comfortable and room was quiet. No view, but like previous reviewer says, who comes for the view from a hotel room. :)
The only negative...its a non smoking hotel...BUT...the bar downstairs is apparently not...thus..the smoke arrived in my 4th floor room every night around 9...and I could smell it throughout the night whenever I would wake...but it was always gone by the time I got up. I totally understand having a smoking bar, but they really need to do something about the ventilation if I can smell it in my room on the 4th floor. Im not super sensitive to smoke,but I have friends that are, and they would have been very upset. It really did get pretty bad.
But location, cleanliness and price made this hotel a 9/10. Just don't stay here if smoke is an issue for you.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Dear bev042660,

thank you very much for your great review. We will check the ventilation in the bar, to avoid future smoke trouble.

We are looking forward, to welcome you again in Vienna.

Kind regards,
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

Memorable stay in Vienna! Wonderful location, clean room, crisp white linen and bathroom, soft bed, hearty breakfast (with champagne!) аnd a very reasonable price for Vienna. The room is warm and sunny. Maintenance of high class! Wonderful girl at the reception helped, gave good tips and chirped like a bird. Nearby grocery store, metro station, shopping street with boutiques and cafes, to the center (Museum Quarter) - 20 minutes. I recommend this hotel to all my friends and to you, dear traveler!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Dear OlgaMarzupan,

thank you very much for your very nice review. We hope to see you again in Vienna.

Kind regards,

Been to Hotel Fuerst Metternich? Share your experiences!