With a group of friends I stayed at Fuerst Metternich at the beginning of November 2014. I need to start with a little of bad news to gradually move on to good news.
I had booked a B&B twin room single occupancy on the assumption that I would get a room with a bed at least slightly larger than the beds in the single rooms which were also offered as a choice for less money while twin rooms were also offered as double rooms.
My first unpleasant surprise right upon arrival was that in order to get to the reception I had to climb a staircase of about 15 steps and there was no one to help me with my luggage. Given that I have a bad knee (recently broken and barely healed) I had to ask some nice hotel guests to help me with my luggage up those stairs. Once I got my room key I took the elevator that got me to the 4th floor from where there was another staircase of about 20 very high and narrow steps which lead to the attic. I could not climb these steps with my luggage for the life of me!
That some rooms are in the attic with no elevator MUST be communicated to prospective guests before they make their booking!
I went back to the reception and demanded to be given a room on a floor reachable by the elevator. The receptionists were nice and understanding, but still I had to stay one night in the attic room and moved to a decent room the next day.
The attic room had two narrow and uncomfortable beds and was quite small, with a tiny bathroom and low slanting attic ceiling (tall people, beware!) whereas the room to which I moved the next day was much, much better - no luxury but just as good and comfortable as a room I paid for should be.
So, for me, staying at this hotel was a good experience which started rather badly. Therefore, I would advise all travelers considering staying at Fuerst Metternich to double check whether they will be getting what they pay for.
Breakfast was good (average Viennese breakfast with no bells and whistles) and the hotel staff was nice and helpful.
The hotel's location is very good for those who go to Vienna to see the sights, visit museums, see art shows, and go to the opera and concerts.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel provided you make sure in advance that you'll get what you bargained for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are pleased to present the rich in traditon Boutique Hotel Fürst Metternich in hostoric splendor as an individual, family run boutique hotelTradition & FlairThe Hotel Fürst Metternich offers its guests the unique flair of Vienna at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. The building in the style of the German Neo-Renaissance was built in 1896 and is embedded in a row of houses with typical Viennese character. A special highlight is the preferred downtown location in a quiet side street of the shopping boulevard “Mariahilfer Straße“. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Fuerst Metternich reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Austrotel Fuerst Metternich Vienna
- Austrotel Fuerst Metternich Hotel Vienna