“top notch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
Los Angeles, California
“top notch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We very much enjoyed our recent stay. The hotel is ideally suited for vacation travel - near the underground and the tram, near an adorable park and church, near restaurants and some of the best cafes, and close enough to the historic core. When we arrived, we were told that a double bed wasn't available and a room with two twins would be prepared by housekeeping by moving together the two beds. The wait was a little bit of a disappointment, but the service was speedy and it turned out ok. The room was well appointed - nice furnishings and all sorts of amenities (N'espresso machine, biscuits, Wi-Fi, TV with a variety of English speaking channels, a plethora of bath products and tools, water bottle and extra glasses, robe and slippers, safe, etc.). The shower was exceptional - felt like a waterfall. The housekeeping is exceptional. I miss the turn down service, what a treat!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Hotel W, General Manager at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear NinaPintaStaMaria,

thank you so much for your great review, it is always nice to recieve such positive feedback.

I will defenitely forward your review to my team who will also be pleased by your remarks, and I am sure the the housekeeping staff will be delighted over your kind comments on them.

I wish you happy holidays and we would be glad to welcome you back to our Grand Hotel Wien if you should visit Vienna again.

Grand Hotel Wien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is reaaly 5 star hotel. Rooms are spacious and the toiled is separated from the bathroom, which is very convenient. Hotel is located just 200 m from the State Opera adjacent to the shopping center. Very good service. Our room was made up before we came back from the breakfast. Bed is comfortable. Room was very quiet. Breakfast is very good. Staff is very helpfull. Will stay in this hotel when come back to Vienna.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Grand Hotel W, General Manager at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Bakinec,

it was a great pleasure reading all your comments from your stay at our "Grand Hotel Wien", thank you so much!

I will share your comments with our team, who I am sure will find great motivation in your remarks. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we would be pleased to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Steyning, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this hotel. The 1st time I thought it was luxury and I'm glad to say that this time was even better. Check in very smooth. Bar service excellent. Rooms with old fashioned style(if you want modern or minimalist don't stay here). Perfect position in Vienna for visiting shops or museums. A special thanks to Ismet who always seemed to be on duty and always seemed to be there when I needed something. We WILL be back. CLASS.

Dear Grandcampmaisy,

thank you so much for coming back to us at "Grand Hotel Wien", and I am very pleased to read that we met your expectations again. It is always great to recieve positive feedback, and I will forward your comments to the rest of the team and of course to Ismet who will be delighted over your great remarks.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we would be pleased to welcome you back on another occasion.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

ROOM
We were 3 collegues on a weekend/christmas trip and were upgraded to a beautiful and very large senior suite which we want to extend our gratitude for! We had requested 3 beds and got twin beds in the master bedroom and they had placed the third bed in the living room which was a bit odd. The third bed was extremely small (it seemed like 80 x 160cm). As we were 3 adults there should be 3 towels and robes, they came with one extra robe but not an extra towel which we realized next morning when we needed it. Small detail but since the hotel is 5-star they should be aware of this.
The suite was beautiful and very spacious even though a bit crowded by artifacts and furniture especially by the desk area. The desk was right in front of the small balcony and if it had been summer if would have been nice to be able to open the balcony doors. Also the suite was on the dark side as it was not possible to open the curtains completely.
BAR
We arrived late, around 22:00, and went to the bar to have a little to eat and drink.
The two waiters were extremely busy so we had to take a table and ask for everything ourselves as nobody attended us but rather ignored us. The waiter upon called to our table by ourselves, pointed out that he was very busy which he certainly also seemed but on the bar of a hotel like this, it really should not be the guests problem and something the waiter might keep to himself and his management. We had to ask him to light the oil lamp on the table (it not lit they should not be there). Finally we got to order and ordered a bottle of Riesling but were told they were not sure if they had time for us to order food. We got our wine but had to ask again if we could order food and he almost rolled his eyes when telling us that "of course we could" but he didn't seem to be very happy about the idea. We ordered anyway and got a really good club sandwich and I really don't understand the fuss as the waiters just had to call the restaurant in the hotel.
Also when we ordering the bottle of wine we did not get any snacks (nuts and crisps) even though all the other tables had them. After finishing the bottle, we ordered an additional two extra glasses of wine and specifically asked for snacks, we were told of course, but did not get them and had to ask a second time for them when we finally got them.
We were in excellent mood and did not let the busy waiters ruin that but it is really not fit for a 5-star hotel bar and quite a shame for the hotel.
BREAKFAST
The breakfast was nice and but nothing special. The bacon was burned, dry and not fresh. The waffle was also dry and seemed like it had been waiting but I did have to ask twice after it. We had to ask several times ere. They forgot our orders, didn’t bring new cutlery even when we asked for it so over all the breakfast was not on 5-star level but perfectly decent.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Grand Hotel W, Geschäftsführer at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Lunoda,

we very much appreciate your stay with us at the “Grand Hotel Wien” and thank you so much for taking the time for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our Deluxe Suites. As all our rooms are equipped with beds for two persons, our option for a third person is to put an extra bed in the room. I am sorry to read that it did not meet your expectations. As for the towels, there are extra towels in the cupboards in the bathroom which is why there was not delivered extra towels with the robe. I still apologize that you were not informed of this.

In regards to your experience in the bar and the breakfast, please accept my sincere apologies. As you said, this does not correspond with the 5 star standard which we offer. At Grand Hotel Wien, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.
We appreciate the time you took to share your experience, and sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Yehud, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location of the hotel is great - you can walk from the hotel to the main attraction in the city.
The service us good and professional.
The SPA is just wonderful!
We also loved the Japanese restaurant
The prices per night are too expensive - especially for breakfast.

Dear Drordean,

first of all, thank you so much for your stay at our Grand Hotel Wien and we very much appreciate your great comments.

I will forward your remarks to the rest of the staff who I am certain will be delighted as well.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we would be pleased to welcome you back to our hotel if you should visit Vienna again.

Kind regards

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this leading hotel for 2 nights between business meetings in Austria following the advice of a good Viennese friend. I found myself in a junior suite that easily qualifies as having a small luxury apartment in the heart of the city: large entrance hall and en-suite stately living room but detached from the bedroom area. I could therefore receive people in an appropriate kind of environment and discuss business in private, which was a time saver. Check in and check out was friendly and quick by very young and helpful staff. Moreover, this hotel is very pictorial and with easy wifi everywhere, serial-instagramers, bloggers and selfie addicts – like myself ? – will have their happy hour secured especially by the grand, majestic stairway in the lobby. One leaves this hotel light hearted, feeling like the most regal of the non-royals, which I think is kind of fun. This is a posh hotel nonetheless – make no mistake – even if it has a very ‘homy’ feeling to it. The Viennese seemed particularly impressed with the walls in the room, lined in pale-green silk brocade fabric – apparently, it’s not a local craftsmanship – matching the golden-beige upholstered furniture. Heavy damask draperies flanked white lace curtains at the windows. Personally, what I liked the most was their offer of restaurants. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to test them all. I would recommend ‘The Ciel’ for the grand, palatial kind of experience in the evening, which I thoroughly enjoyed in good company. Next time I want to try their Japanese restaurant that actually was my great finding in Vienna on this business trip. At lunchtime I had a quick super-premium sandwich ‘at eight’ in The Ring hotel right across the street guarded by 2 pictures of Marilyn Monroe hanging above my head, in a very casual, low-key atmosphere. I don’t smoke so I was relieved to see that smokers have a huge, impressive cigar lounge upstairs. To my surprise, someone mentioned a large ballroom downstairs for business events, which I suspect is a rare finding on a hotel in Vienna. All in all, I liked this hotel because it’s truly faithful to the Viennese imperial tradition, unlike many other luxury hotels where I have stayed that all look the same, but still it successfully fulfils contemporary needs. Moreover, the service while impeccable and up to the expected standards, is relaxed and really unpretentious, which personally I find important. This was a short stay but I have now added this hotel to my list of key choices for the future.

Room Tip: My choice was the Junior Suite and I liked it.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Brito,

thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at "Grand Hotel Wien" so much. I appreciate your comments on our restaurant offer, and I defenitely recommend you to try the "Unkai" restaurant the next time you have a chance as it is known to be one of the best japaneese restaurants in Vienna.

I will forward your comments to the rest of my entire team who I am sure will be delighted as well.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we would be pleased to welcome you back to our hotel on another occasion.

Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I didn't stay at the hotel but used their spa, as well as ate here. The massage by Mila was one of the best I have ever had. She is a medical masseuse and gave me exercises to help relieve foot and shoulder pain that have helped tremendously. The front desk remembered my name after just being their once before. They couldn't have been more attentive or helpful. Dinner at The Japanese restaurant was very good; the service at the hotel is exceptional.

• Stayed December 2014
Grand Hotel W, Geschäftsführer at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Morristowngirl,

thank you so much for your kind words, we are very pleased that you enjoy our hotel also as a "non-hotel guest"! I will cernainly forward your comments to the colleagues at the front desk, the SPA and the Unkai restaurant who I am sure will appreciate your remarks.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards

Grand Hotel Wien

Been to Grand Hotel Wien? Share your experiences!