“It's grand!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 369 hotels in Vienna
Tauranga, New Zealand
“It's grand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is all old world charm and crystal chandeliers..just how we like it. Spacious room..we had a deluxe double which apart from a queen sized bed had a large cabinet housing tea and coffee making facilities, a large desk, an armchair and a sofa. The bathroom had a very large bath with a shower hose beside the bath as well as one overhead for use as a standing shower. The toilet was in a room of its own off the bathroom which we really liked - complete with gold tapped bidet.
As it was our anniversary, my husband had arranged online for roses to be put in the room just before we entered - what a lovely surprise. We did not have a breakfast option but that was no bother as there is a mall complete with supermarket and cafes right through the glass doors next to the lifts. We did have drinks in the lobby cafe which is very elegant..pricey, but it is 5 star so to be expected. We had an evening meal at Le Ciel restaurant on the top floor. We chose one of the degustation menus which had a wine accompanying each course. The food and wines were excellent and the staff were knowledgeable and incredibly pleasant.
WE would definitely recommend this hotel in Vienna for anyone who likes a bit of old world class and does not appreciate minimalist interiors when indulging in a bit of luxury. Staff throughout the hotel were pleasant and helpful. A true 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Susanne_Schwedhelm, Manager at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear fiftieschick57,
we are delighted that you have found your stay our Grand Hotel Wien such a memorable one. We try our utmost to make sure that our guest receive not 5*-but also personal service to make you as comfortable as possible. We very much hope that we will be able to welcome you again as guests in the near future.
Kindest regards,
Susanne Schwedhelm
Revenue Manager
Grand Hotel Wien

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Trieste
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

this is my first review on Grand Hotel Vienna after some stays there, over the last years.
Grand Vienna confrirms its excellent standing , outstanding service and quality of rooms. Prices are not cheap but in line with the offer.
Little remark: the lobby was a bit too noisy, during daytime. Nothing else to add; a true 5 star

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greater Toronto Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Grand Hotel Wien embodies the timeless elegance of Vienna and provides a superior level of client service that is second to none. The hotel is centrally located with easy access to dining and shopping. The front desk staff and concierge are professional, helpful and extremely efficient. The guest rooms are beautifully appointed with lovely bedding, fluffy pillows and spacious bathrooms. There is even a small market on the lower level of an adjacent mall where you can buy fresh breads, meats, cheeses, fruit etc. if you're inclined to pack snacks for the day ahead. The only suggestion I have for management is that if you're providing an e-mail address on the hotel website for enquiries, then the commitment should be made to respond to the enquiries you receive. We emailed twice before our trip to enquire about airport transfers to the hotel and never received a response. Other than this opportunity for improvement, our stay was perfect, we'd highly recommend the hotel to others and will definitely stay again when we return to Vienna. Thank you to the management and staff for making our stay so comfortable!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind review, we at the Grand Hotel do our utmost to make sure stay was a memorable one and hope to welcome you as our guest again!
Kindest regards,
Susanne Schwedhelm
Revenue Manager
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is simply one of the top hotels in Vienna. The service is phenomenal, the property striking, and the service fabulous. There aren't too many better locations to be in midtown, close to shopping, dining, and across the street from Stadtpark.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotelfan1969, General Manager at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear 'PatricSA', thank you so much for your wonderful review, much appreciated! I am delighted to read that you see the Grand Hotel Wien as one of the TOP hotels in Vienna. I deeply appreciate your comments on the service and the hotel in overall and I am looking forward welcoming you again in the very near future, best regards!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Dreams can't be sweeter when staying at The Grand Hotel Wien. We arrived in the evening after turn down service and the pile of fluffed pillows with chocolates just hollered my name. The bathroom is luxurious and the closets are the best ever!

The spacious room has a lovely outdoor balcony with seating, but there's an adjacent mall next to the hotel if bad weather keeps you inside. The staff and service found at this hotel couldn't be better. Enjoy!

Room Tip: There's a handy International Pharmacy a couple doors down from the hotel that can handle any me...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotelfan1969, General Manager at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear 'TOCazzie', thank you so much for your kind review! I must admit until today we never received a review mentioning 'sweet dreams at the Grand Hotel Wien', but I must say, I fully agree with this statement. I am delighted to read that you liked your stay at the Grand Hotel Wien and I am looking forward welcoming you again in the near future, best regards!
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night and have to say that this hotel gives you feeling of luxury in the very heart of the Wien city. The room is big, pleasant and clean. Everything's really fine, you feel it in details you see around you. The hotel based about 2 minutes walking distance from Opera (city center) and Kartner street (shopping).
Another plus is price/quality ratio which is very good for such hotel.
I definitely recommend this hotel to stay at.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hotelfan1969, General Manager at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear 'Vereshchagin', great review, thank you so much! Happy to read that you see the Grand Hotel Wien as a real premium hotel, we see it the same way and are constantly improving our overall standards. Looking forward welcoming you back in the near future, best regards!
Falls Church, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Boiled gluten-free potatoes in pasta water. That's right. I had told the hotel ahead of time that my wife was gluten intolerant and when we ordered room service on our last night, my wife's ceasar salad came with croutons. We sent it back and asked for another. In the meantime, she ate her boiled potatoes (we had asked for baked potatoes) until she saw a piece of pasta in the bowl. Our only conclusion is that the hotel kitchen reuses its water and boiled the potatoes in pasta. My wife called down, and someone claiming to be the room service manager asked rudely, "What do you want me to do about it now?" I then called reception and asked for the general manager, which the front desk said that "they would try" and then I was transferred to a voice mail. We walked out of the hotel and went to a nearby five-star hotel for dinner, the staff of which fell over themselves to ensure a gluten-free meal. When we returned we again requested the general manager, and were told he would not arrive until 9am the next morning. We talked with the night manager who said that humans make mistakes, he could not compensate us, and why should he bother if I am going to write a review anyway. We were checking out the next morning, so I asked again to speak to the general manager at checkout, but the night manager told me that I couldn't leave until at least 10am in case the general manager came in late. Angry we went to bed. The next morning we waited until 9:45am to go downstairs and were met by the guest relations manager. He was more gracious and at least acknowledged that the hotel had not performed at the five star level. He said that although I had requested my all my money back, he was only prepared to give me the room service charge and 20% of our three night stay. I said I was not happy and would give him a chance to make this right. He replied that the general manager had called from vacation in Styria and said no more than 20%. How insulting...our vacation was ruined, but I am glad the general manager is taking a hard line 400km away. I said that this was not acceptable and offered the guest relations manager a week so that he could talk this over once the general manager returned from vacation. My wife and I enjoyed the rest of our vacation in Central Europe and then received an email from someone claiming to be the general manager but with the signature line of Asst. General Manager. He said he would not give us any more compensation since the mistake was room service and not with the room itself. Really, is the room service not part of the hotel? This is disgraceful for any hotel calling itself five star and I wonder if Leading Hotels of the World really checks on hotels it claims as one of their own.

Two small nits: the sheets had a brown stain when we checked in, and the sink didn't drain well.

We found the staff at Le Ciel restaurant to be helpful with my wife's gluten allergy. They said they were not connected to the room service. The other redeeming value of the hotel was its excellent location for sightseeing in Vienna.

But we still feel disrespected and marginalized based on our experience. Why can't Four Seasons open a branch in Vienna?!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 'anon789', thank you for your review. We have taken notice of your complaints and also reacted in a respectful way when you were still at the hotel. I even mailed you 2 times, explaining in detail why we see no necessity in fully sponsoring your stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. We do not see our responses as disrespectful as we have taken all necessary actions in an acceptable timeframe, even corresponded with our partner Leading Hotels of the World. Again, we do apologize for what has happened and have spoken with the respective staff as to your issues. Best regards.

Been to Grand Hotel Wien? Share your experiences!