“Beautiful Hotel, Fabulous Location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Bristol Vienna
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kaerntner Ring 1, Vienna 1015, Austria (Innere Stadt)   |
Ranked #34 of 368 Hotels in Vienna
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful Hotel, Fabulous Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Hotel Bristol is a beautiful hotel in a fabulous location. My room was a classic room and was perfect for my stay on a business trip. The bathroom was very spacious and the amenities including bottled water, fruit, and a chocolate on the pillow were much appreciated and were restocked each day. The Internet worked well and I found the staff very helpful for directions, recommendations, and mailing letters.
I have only two things of note for other potential travelers to this hotel. First, my classic room had one window that looked into a small concrete courtyard. Because the view was essentially into other rooms, I did not keep my curtains open. For me, this was fine because I was in meetings offsite most of the day, however, if you are expecting a nice view on your vacation, I suggest you make sure you know what room you are booking and pay extra for the view if that is important to you. Second, during my stay (early October 2012) there was construction noise from lower floors (as has been mentioned in other reviews) and it started relatively early (between 7 and 8am). Because I was already getting ready for meetings, this was not a problem for me and it appears from management responses to other reviews that the construction has since ceased, however, it may be something to ask about before you book if you desire to sleep in.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the view if that is important to you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear 'thewilsonwanderings'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We do very much value the feedback of our guests and we appreciate your overall very good feedback about our property. With regards to the room views allow me to add: the vast majority of rooms are facing the outside of the hotel. It is correct that some rooms face the private patio of the hotel - which is very quiet and it is preferred by those guests who prefer to have a very quiet room. With regards to the construction you are absolutely right - it has ceased and we offer now completely new rooms and suites on the Mezzanine level. Again, thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kind Regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

top location. friendly employees. good service.nice classic rooms.
for that room price the internet should be included.
in bristol case you have to pay 20 euros per day extra and even the connection is super slow. this is def. not a modern "normal" standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 'sure4shurik'

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor. Kindly note that we offer FREE WIFI in all our public spaces at a good quality (speed). I am not sure when you stayed, but we just started this service at the end of December. Again, thank you for your feedback. Best regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent. You can walk everywhere, which we prefer to do on our vacations. The hotel staff was nice but service can sometimes be slow. Also, it has non-smoking floors but people still smoke and when you say something they don't seem to show much concern. The rooms are nice but the showers don't contain the water when showering and our room had some water stains on the ceiling. We typically don't eat in hotels as we prefer local restaurants and cafes so I am not able to rate the food service. I would ask for a room that is not in front of the service elevator as the doors open out so we ran into the maid service staff frequently and once Oma almost got whacked in the face as she was looking down and the maid opened the service door but I pulled Oma aside before the door could make impact.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not in front of the service elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear 'drsped'

Thank you for your review posted on this site. I understand that overall you enjoyed your stay with us but that you also gave us some constructive feedback. With regards to smoking I can assure you that all rooms are non-smoking. If guests smoke in the room then they do this without our consent and we do make contact with these guests in order to stop them from smoking in the room. With regards to the showers I can assure you that all showers are being serviced frequently. Also get the rooms repainted frequently - and that includes the ceiling. I am not quite sure which room you stayed in but the service elevator door does not interfere with guests staying in rooms close buy - maybe you mean that you were walking in the corridor when the door got opened. Thank you again for your feedback. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Hard to fault the hotel with great communal areas and excellent service. Location is about as good as it gets too. The rooms are very small and stuffy however. Although we were there in winter, the air con was unreliable and the children's room was too hot throughout our stay. The bathrooms in our interconnecting executive rooms were particularly disappointing. Badly designed and cheap fittings meant that water pooled on the bathroom floor and there was no room for any more than one person at a time.

Breakfast was very good and the service was faultless. The atmosphere is not hugely child friendly though, particularly for boisterous two year olds.

That said, we would come back as the location was perfect and the staff were superb without exception.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear 'Dan B'

thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. I understand that you had a pleasant stay with us. I however understand that the room provided did not entirely meet your expectations. Kindly note that we offer many different kinds of rooms. Our Deluxe Rooms for example are very specious and offer great views - these rooms have also large full marble bath rooms. You may want to stay in these rooms next time. Many of our corporate travellers appreciate the Executive rooms you have stayed in recently. Again, thank you for your honest feedback and your patronage. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Charming,de luxe rooms are quite lovely, staff pleasant and competent. Paying for wi fi by device is truly silly in todays world, once i pointed this out I only had to pay for wi fi per room. Pushing 2single beds together does not a King make! My experience of breakfast and bar was quite good, but breakfast is expensive. The location of the Hotel is perfect, (main reason we chose it over other starwood hotel) linens good quality,bathrooms expansive and guest services good. Just falls a little short of its aspirations overall.A little tired, perhaps a little out of touch with todays traveller, I have no complaints just nothing exceptional about it. See my review of the Trois Rois in Basel for a truly 5 * hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear 'teabag46'

Thank you for your review posted on trip advisor. I understand that overall you enjoyed your stay at our property. With regards to your comment about WIFI please note that we offer FREE Wi-Fi in our lobby area at a good quality. This service is new in our offering. With regards to the Twin Bed vs. King Beds kindly note that we have both Twin and King bedded rooms at our hotel. If you request a King at time of booknig we can for sure provide you with one. Also I am pleased to mention that we are keep investing frequently in our product so we just completed a total renovation of our mezzanine floor which resulted in the creation of new very nice rooms and exceptional suites that are of the highest quality. Again, thank you for your comments. We really appreciate your feedback. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek -General Manager
Strasbourg, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was there 2 nights in the middle of the week on a business trip, part of a bigger group so i did not choose the type ofbroom. The hotel in general looks outdated eventhough some renovation work is on going. Breakfast is ok, but nothing spectacular. But the biggest concern was the room. Avoid room 158!!! Located on the first floor, it must be one of the smallest room of the hotel. The window opens on the ventilication system of the restaurant! It looks auwful and, in the summer, do not expect to keep it open at night because of the noise. In the bathroom, the plastic end of the hair dryer was half melted and the glass of one of the light was not well positionned and and it was allowing the water to get in! On top of this, the wireless network was not accessible in the evening, and the construction work in the part of the hotel being refurbished started at 7am, which was generating significant noise in the room. So, even if this room was the less expensive category of the hotel (i guess so) there are some basic requirements that should be there in such a place! And clearly there were not, so it was very disappointing!

Room Tip: Avoid room 158
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear 'Polo67FR'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We do value the feedback of our guests.
I regret that your stay did not meet with your expectations. The room that was reserved for you was a Classic Single room. It is indeed a small room; hence we offer a good price for these rooms. We do of course have all kind of different rooms at the hotel at different price points. Our Deluxe rooms for example range at around 40 square meters and have great views. I was concerned to read about the hairdryer and the glass of the light that you mentioned. This of course does not correspond to our high standards that we are known for. I have spoken to our engineering department and we will replace the hairdryer and look also at the other problem you had mentioned. With regards to wireless network I am not sure what has caused this interruption you experienced – as usually we do have good coverage throughout the building. It is correct that we were renovating some rooms during the past months. This however has now been completed. I am sorry that you have been disturbed by these works. We offer amazing new rooms and suites on the Mezzanine level which are up to the very highest standards. Again, please accept my apologies for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to prove to you that we are able to meet the expectations of our guests in a perfect way. Thanks again for your feedback! Best regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Timisoara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was quite a nice stay. The reception was very professional from the beginning until the end, and did their very best to service us. My husband and I really appreciated the preferred guest card we were offered by them and the gorgeous room upgrade. Additionally, we had booked quite close to the time of our arrival, and the staff did everything they could to make sure things went smoothly despite this fact; also they were quite generous regarding our request for a late check-out.

We were not very pleased with the valets, however; they took a very long time to bring the luggage to the room, and were rough with it upon our departure to the airport.

The fine-dining restaurant was beautiful. The menu was quite creative, although I did feel that it lacked some flavour. The staff served very well with all of the proper etiquette; they were a bit intrusive about the fact that my husband had an emergecy which required him to leave the table for a brief time, however; but overall, they were quite kingd and understanding.

I was not so pleased with the bar service, however. The food was quality, but the service was lax and American style - but not American-style in a positive way. Therefore, despite acknowledging that this is in fact an American bar, the service must always reflect European quality and etiquette; and I did not feel that the American server properly understood what this means. It is mandatory that if American interns are to work in such an expensive setting, they be educated that throughout Europe there exist two main styles of serving a couple - equal serving of both the woman and the man, or, preferrably - to avoid confusion - always ladies first. Consequently, a woman must never be served in a manner that could be interpreted as implying that of an after-thought to her partner; and it was something that neither me nor my husband enjoyed enforcing throughout our luncheon.

Despite my comments regarding the bar and valet service sectors of this hotel, therefore, this was a delightful stay and one which I will always remember positively. Bristol is a wonderful hotel; and it is clear why it has been so successful.

Room Tip: Book in advance and use Expedia.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear 'Belissa'

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor. While you seemed to have enjoyed your stay overall at our hotel I understand that there were some points that did not meet with your full satisfaction. I can assure you that the point with your luggage / valet is something that we will look into in details. Also in the service I can assure you that serving 'Ladies first' is a rule for our hotel at all times! Again thank you for taking the time to share these valuable comments with us. It allows us to adjust our service where needed and to improve. I hope that you will visit us soon again. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Been to Hotel Bristol Vienna? Share your experiences!