“Quite lovely.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Timisoara
“Quite lovely.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was quite a nice stay. The reception was very professional from the beginning until the end, and did their very best to service us. My husband and I really appreciated the preferred guest card we were offered by them and the gorgeous room upgrade. Additionally, we had booked quite close to the time of our arrival, and the staff did everything they could to make sure things went smoothly despite this fact; also they were quite generous regarding our request for a late check-out.

We were not very pleased with the valets, however; they took a very long time to bring the luggage to the room, and were rough with it upon our departure to the airport.

The fine-dining restaurant was beautiful. The menu was quite creative, although I did feel that it lacked some flavour. The staff served very well with all of the proper etiquette; they were a bit intrusive about the fact that my husband had an emergecy which required him to leave the table for a brief time, however; but overall, they were quite kingd and understanding.

I was not so pleased with the bar service, however. The food was quality, but the service was lax and American style - but not American-style in a positive way. Therefore, despite acknowledging that this is in fact an American bar, the service must always reflect European quality and etiquette; and I did not feel that the American server properly understood what this means. It is mandatory that if American interns are to work in such an expensive setting, they be educated that throughout Europe there exist two main styles of serving a couple - equal serving of both the woman and the man, or, preferrably - to avoid confusion - always ladies first. Consequently, a woman must never be served in a manner that could be interpreted as implying that of an after-thought to her partner; and it was something that neither me nor my husband enjoyed enforcing throughout our luncheon.

Despite my comments regarding the bar and valet service sectors of this hotel, therefore, this was a delightful stay and one which I will always remember positively. Bristol is a wonderful hotel; and it is clear why it has been so successful.

Room Tip: Book in advance and use Expedia.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear 'Belissa'

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor. While you seemed to have enjoyed your stay overall at our hotel I understand that there were some points that did not meet with your full satisfaction. I can assure you that the point with your luggage / valet is something that we will look into in details. Also in the service I can assure you that serving 'Ladies first' is a rule for our hotel at all times! Again thank you for taking the time to share these valuable comments with us. It allows us to adjust our service where needed and to improve. I hope that you will visit us soon again. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Despite it's location, room, service of personnel which all were above expectations unfortunately breakfast was poor. When you pay 250 a night you expect an impressive breakfast, plus curiosity is on mars and still hotels for some reason or another cannot provide good wifi service for their guests. I do not understand. In general I recommend the hotel because for shopping/business it's location is perfect.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
BREAKFAST HAS LOT OF A LA CARTE OPTIONS / WIFI IMPROVING
Dear 'Alexis N'
Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. I regret that you did not enjoy the breakfast at our hotel. For our breakfast we aim to provide our guests with only high quality food. It is correct that we do not feature too many hot dishes on the buffet – which is why it may seem not so sumptuous. That might be what gave you this impression perhaps - but the only reason for that is that we prepare all dishes freshly in the kitchen - guests can choose from a wide range of dishes, from eggs of any style, to porridge and pancakes etc. The quality aspect of the food is of utmost importance to us. With regards to WIFI service I am pleased to inform you that we are further upgrading our facilities - so we will keep a focus on improving this service for our guests. Thank you again for your patronage and your comments! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed Hotel Bristol, Vienna. Normally out of my league but for a one off definitely worth it. Staff were wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble. Concierge with his vast amount of knowledge on all tourist items helped us get tickets, Vienna pass. the lot! Main rooms were a delight. Spacious and comfortable and beautifully decoraed for Christmas. Bedrooms were beautifully clean, and comfortable, with every convenience. Whether you are a single traveller, honeymoon couple, or family make this another place not to be missed. My husband loved the fitness centre. Free internet in the Business Centre on 5th floor too. Hotel centrally located, near Opera House, Hofburg, Museum Quarter.

CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our stay was booked using starwood points and despite what other reviewers, have experieinced, we were treated very well. The hotel is beautiful in a great location and the staff professional, well trained and very helpful. The reception staff was very accomodating and helpful and the maitre'd in the restaurant was superb as was t he service. The artwork in the hallways and stairwells is impressive. If the service in the bar area were better, the Bristol would get an excellent rating.

Room Tip: The suites overlooking the opera are outstanding.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked this hotel because it was on the gold list last year and i really cant understand how it made it there. The hotel is a beautiful old building which is very very clean but that is where most of the luxury stops. Every morning the cleaning lady walked right into the room without knocking. They gave us a terrible restaurant recommendation (it was so bad that we left when we tasted our appetiser). The day concierge was not friendly and i was uncomfortable to ask him questions.I did enjoy the bar in the lobby and a particularly funny older gentlemen who worked there, he was a highlight at the hotel for us. Overall I wouldn't stay here again, it was an ok hotel but definitely not 5 star.

Room Tip: I didnt mean to click Swimming pool and spa didnt notice if they even had these things.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear 'Karen_Singh82'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. I regret that we were apparently not able to meet your expectations. It is of course not acceptable that the cleaning lady walked into your room without knocking. That is not according to our standard. I will follow up with our housekeeping department about this. I also regret that you did not appreciate the restaurant recommendation which you had received from the concierge - I am unfortunately not able to follow up on this in detail as I do not know which restaurant you went to. We are however taking great care in educating our concierges - most of our front office associates are part of the 'Vienna Experts Club' which trains hotel associates on the best Vienna has to offer - gastronomically as well as in general. Also I would like to mention that we do train our staff frequently and that we monitor the performance regularly. We know that this is key for a good luxury hotel. I regret that you did not have this impression. I can assure you that we will put further focus on this also in the future. Again, thank you for your patronage and your comments! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Visually step back in time, however, amenities are modern & top notch. Customer service was excellent. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Nice touch with the turn down service and nightly chocolates. No ice machine, but a bucket was promptly provided by housekeeping. Loved soaking in the spring water in the deep tub. The bath gels had such a lovely scent. The hotel is located directly adjacent from the Vienna Opera House. Great location for shopping. In general, a wonderful location for wandering around and exploring this beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stanley, Falkland Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've stayed at the Bristol about a dozen times over the years. It always feels like a step back into the 1920s. Of course, the hotel is not so full of cigarette smoke as it used to be and there is now wifi throughout the hotel. Other than that, the flat-screen televisions, and people speaking English, I don't think a time traveler from the 1920s would notice anything amiss. I especially appreciate having a door between the bedroom and the entryway with the closet and bathroom. The second door separating the bedroom from the public spaces ensures quiet.

The lobby is cramped by modern standards, which sometimes results in guests having to wait longer than they should at a hotel in this price range.

Room Tip: Every room is different. Try to communicate to the staff at check-in what is important to you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Bristol Vienna? Share your experiences!