“An up-to-date, but old world hotel in a faded city” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kaerntner Ring 16, Vienna A-1015, Austria (Inner City)   |
Ranked #16 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NY, NY
“An up-to-date, but old world hotel in a faded city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Sometimes rated as the best hotel in Vienna, this former princely palace with only about 100 rooms, has it all. Superb rooms reminiscent of what Vienna once was, a top-notch English-speaking concierge desk, a lovely buffet breakfast, and a charming sidewalk cafe/restaurant..all in a very central location.
The Eyewitness Travel book on Vienna, all 288 pages, shows what Vienna is..and isn't !! It's a faded city with a magnificent past thanks to the Hapsburgs who once ruled from Hungary to Spain..and exhibited their power in monumental Architecture (the Schonbrunn Palace and the Belevedere Palace, to name two "must-see" attractions.) And a number of government ministries and smaller princely dwellings. Plus wide streets, dotted with statues and attractive small parks (You should know that the Vienna Woods aren't in Vienna proper and comprise a state park 300 miles in area ! Likewise the "Blue Danube" only skirts Vienna , and it's grey and industrial til about 20 miles downstream, which you can reach by bus, then board a river cruiser to pass the hillside vineyards, picturesque small villages, and ultimately reach the eye-popping Benedictine monastery at Melk.)
Vienna today in its everyday life isn't so spectacular: the people in the street aren't snappily dressed in hats and double-breasted suits as in the movie, "The Third Man". Not much style at all. And not so many smoky, Art-Deco, wood-panelled coffee houses with fabled coffee and whipped cream. We found the restaurants, OK, but a bit expensive, and not so special. We had Wienerschnitzel our first night at a hotel-recommended restaurant.which was totally forgettable. Likewise, we ate the famous Sacher Torte ( red desert cake) right at the Hotel Sacher..expensive..and not much taste, alas. The one restautant that blew us away was the Steirereck in Stadtpark..expensive..but extraordinary. One last point: wherever you walk, including the central pedestrian street mall between the Opera House and the Cathedral..there's really very little to buy. You'd do better on Chicago's Miracle Mile ! Sad to say, but true. Also, English is spoken, but not much ! The biggest Viennese employer seems to be the U.N. with many agencies here shared with New York and Geneva.
All in all, a city with a big, still visible past and a much smaller present.. probably worth a 3 night stay...especially at the Hotel Imperial.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear „nyvoice“ and partner,
What a detailed destination review you have shared with us and the TripAdvisor community. Many thanks for going into such detail of our impressions and particularly for the praise of our historic Hotel Imperial. Vienna has truly a very rich and colorful history, yet it is as also a very vibrant city today that offers probably one of the biggest and most varied cultural schedule of any city all around Europe. There is always a lot going on and besides the unique and amazing sights, museums and monuments, that is always a huge variety of activities staged all over the destination.
Maybe we can convince you to return to Vienna once again the New Year to experience and enjoy different aspects of the city. It would be our pleasure to welcoming you soon again and I wish you and your family all the best and a happy New Year 2014.

Klaus Christandl,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed at the Hotel Imperial Vienna as a Christmas break, we arrived early after an awful flight, and the hotel accommodated us by allowing us to check in early and get washed up. The room itself was fantastic, we were in room 232 facing the front of the building. Of particular note was the bathroom.

We used the Opus restaurant one evening, and although a little bit pricey, the food, wine and service were all excellent. I would definitely recommend the hotel and hopefully will go again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear „Travelling_Brit_2014“ and partner,

What a pleasure to read your rewarding comments about your recent stay with us at the Hotel Imperial Vienna and your kind compliments for our team. I was delighted to note that you experienced our renowned Imperial service and how the opportunity for an early check-in created that extra comfort after a long journey.
Most exciting however was your wonderful comment about our new OPUS restaurant, that just opened its doors on the 21st December - you must have been one of our very first customers. Thank you for the encouraging words and I am certain that they will motivate the team to continue their excellent work.
It would be an honor for us to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and until then, allow me to I wish you and your entire family a healthy and happy New Year 2014

Newport, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Back to the Imperial for Dec.2013.This time thanks God without H.Dominici.(This person was on duty when we stayed lat tie in July.He had a problem with water.He was arrogant and rude.And with his attitude was not able to solve the problem)With his rude way of looking at us he made the water problem even bigger.

This time instead.

All is perfect this time:We had a nice room,wonderful meal,breakfast and so on.The crew is friendly,professional and helpful.The concierge is always ready to assist with any request.We ordered opera tickets.It was a beautiful.The concierge desk is the best one we know.All of them are professional and made a very nice feeling.Perhaps the young "maybe italian one"is the best.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear “Frank t”,
Thank you very much for you feedback. I am pleased that we met up with your experience this time. All our team members are striving for perfection every day and I am sure that your warm words will enliven them to go the extra step in the future again.
I would be delighted to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My stay at Hotel Imperial is the first where I found myself inspired by the splendour of decor and accolades steeped in this hotel's rich history.

Everything from the lobby to my room was adorned by pictures, paintings, sculptures and artefacts. The room was modestly sized and furnished with antiquated Viennese pieces that I was actually afraid to touch and break. Almost like a museum. The staff were graciously courteous and offered informed directions to my points if interest.

It is a classically beautiful 19th century palace that grants you the right to feel like royalty during your stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the Altstadt skyline.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear “anowak”,
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write down your feedback. I was delighted reading your warm words about the hotel and our staff. The Hotel Imperial is indeed a former palace and our employees strive to deliver a flawless service every day. I am convinced that your feedback will encourage out whole team to go the extra mile in the future again.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back at the Hotel Imperial in Vienna.

I wish you a healthy and glorious New Year.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

room was excellent with winding staircase to second level (we were upgraded as SPG Gold on a points stay); however, there was some type of stain on the wall and a used bandaid on one of the pillows;

Concierge (Orlando) was very helpful in arranging some dinner reservations (Cafe Imperial and the Black Camel) and a private driver/tour guide

Room Tip: ask politely for an upgrade - the two-story rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “txtraveler47” and partner,
First of all I want to thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I felt truly upset about the patched pillow which is in no way how we want our imperial service to be. I can assure you that we put our focus on the quality of our bed linen and that we set our standards very high.
However I am delighted that despite the issue in your room we still managed to meet your expectations. It is with pleasure that we grant an upgrade upon availability.
It would be an honor for us to welcoming you soon back again.

Wishing you a healthy and successful New Year 2014,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for only one night on a return from Montenegro (August 2011), but it was a great experience. Highly recommended and in a great location. We had a room overlooking the opera house. Our room was large and grand, and the result of an upgrade.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear „HMMIII“ and partner,
Thank you very much for you positive comment. I am happy to read that we met up with your expectations. It is with pleasure that we upgrade our guests upon availability.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
I wish you a successful New Year.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I visited Vienna and stayed at the hotel for both business and pleasure reasons.

First of all the building is very well maintained which is something I did not expect since this building was a palace built somewhere around 1860.

Stuff was very polite and helpful on any need that we had.

Breakfast was plentiful, fresh, awesome! It totally worth the cost.

Location is just perfect in the corner of the center of Vienna. Almost everything you need to see as tourist is at a walking distance.

We stayed on a Junior suite which was marvelous. Clean, comfortable beds with a great set of amenities.

I really have no words to express how perfect our stay was. I am traveling around the world mostly on 5* hotels and this is on my top 3 I have ever been.

I strongly suggest to everyone to live the experience on this Starwood Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Traceratio” and partner,

First of all I would like to thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your compliments with us and the tripadvisor community. I was truly delighted reading your comments. To constantly maintain our premises we are currently undergoing a major revitalization of the ground floor and the public areas. I am happy to share with you that as of 20th December our new Café Imperial Wien, our new OPUS Restaurant, as well as the new Lounge Bar “1873 – HalleNsalon” will open their doors.

Furthermore I was happy to hear, that you experienced our renowned Imperial service and I am certain that your warm words will further enliven our whole team to deliver delightful service interactions consistently in the future.

The breakfast buffet being one of the first experiences of most of our guests each day deserves and receives a lot of attention by our Executive Chef and his team and your praise has been shared with him and his team.

It would be a great privilege for us to welcome you back once again in the not too distant future and in saying that I wish you and your family a joyful and rewarding Christmas time and a successful New Year 2014.

Klaus Christandl

Been to Hotel Imperial Vienna? Share your experiences!