“What a Historic Property Should Be!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kaerntner Ring 16, Vienna A-1015, Austria (Inner City)   |
Ranked #16 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, Florida
“What a Historic Property Should Be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

In our travels we have stayed at many historic properties and many of them offer little more than faded glory and live off of their reputations. This was not the case with the Imperial in Vienna; service was efficient and as friendly as can be expected in Austria, the room was impeccably decorated and the bathroom was truly luxurious.
We had booked one of the smaller rooms and we were perfectly happy with it; it was large, had a dressing area, a beautiful chandelier, and a very well appointed bathroom.
Breakfast at the Cafe Imperial was delicious every day, you must try the Imperial Torte as well as a hot chocolate with cream.
While in Vienna we had a private wlaking tour and attended a concert at the Musikverein next door; both are highly recommended and easily accessible from the hotel.
I would definetly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for history, comfort, and luxury in Vienna.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Dear „faarias“

It was wonderful to note that your stay at our hotel was so delightful. Highlighting the historic splendor of our 138 year old palace as well as our refined and delicious Imperial Torte will definitely assist other global explorers to make their choice and decision for Hotel Imperial.

My team and I hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Hotel Imperial in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist with your arrangements.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Tampa, Florida,

Klaus Christandl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Imperial is stunning in nearly every way. The location is wonderful, on a leafy boulevard within easy walking distance of many sights and public transportation. The decor is beautiful and ornate without being stuffy. One of my favorite touches is the gorgeous chandelier in the lobby, echoed in sparkling crystal wall sconces throughout the facility. Our executive junior suite room was gorgeous, with two small balconies providing lovely views of the city, a very comfortable bed and sitting area, a spotless and elegant bathroom, and the lovely Schonbrunn yellow creating a warm and relaxing ambience.

The service was impeccable. The airline lost my partner's luggage for two full days, and the staff was incredibly helpful in recommending places to buy new things and expediting laundry service for what we had. We had a small suite, and the butler service that came with it was wonderful - it greatly added to our peace of mind and ability to relax. Whatever we requested - tickets to a classical music performance, dinner reservations, train tickets for the next leg of our trip that I couldn't book online - was accomplished quickly, without fuss, and with concerned attention to our preferences and wishes. Thank you so much, Gunter and Harmon!

Room service was prompt and delicious (try the potato soup on a chilly day!), and the wonderful breakfast buffet in the cafe was irresistible. Later in the day, the cafe is a pleasant and easy option for lunch, dinner, or excellent coffee and pastries.

The only possible negative was that the elevator is very small, but that's a very minor quibble.

Overall, a beautiful and luxurious hotel with excellent attention to detail, great dining options, and warm and attentive service from a wonderful staff. The next time we are in Vienna, this will without question be our home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a 5th floor room with a balcony!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear „carrietj“

To read that we have been selected as your “Home away from Home” in Vienna was most rewarding. Thank you for your exhaustive description of our services and facilities. Especially your highlighting of our unique butler service and the sumptuous breakfast buffet at our Café Imperil will most likely assist other global explorers to make their choice and decision in favor of our Hotel Imperial.

My team and I hope to have a chance to welcome you back to your home in Vienna in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist with your arrangements.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Austin, Texas,

Cartagena, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This is the most romantic hotel and the place to go when in Vienna. Understanding the Habsburgs in Vienna is a must prior to going to Prague or Budapest and the Imperial is an integral part of that story. High ceilings and pastels with impeccable woodwork and decor transports you to royalty life when this hotel was a palace.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear „RafaelSim“

What a wonderful compliment to hear – Thank you for your kind comments and recommendations.

My team and I hope to have a chance to welcome you and your partner back to Vienna in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist with your arrangements.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Cartagena in Colombia,

Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The hotel is not the best I have stayed in but it is getting real close. I came in by car very late at night, midnight and ended up at a different hotel on the other side of the Ring. The personell showed me the way but as I had already unpacked my car they loaded everything on a cart and helped me across the street. VERY Nice!
I was allowed to park my car outside till the morning when it had to be moved. Now the garage was at least a block away and I had a huge argument with the front desk on how to get my car to the garage. To start with they absolutely refused me to drive it to the garage myself. The general meaning of this was that I was not competent to do this on my own with my own car. In the end I was allowed to drive my car with a person from the front desk as supervisor. To me this was the most absurd and stupid thing I had ever heard from a hotel front desk. It did not make my mood any better even though the rooms were very nice and furnished in old style to fit the general feeling of the hotel. The location is excellent for most things you might wish to do, whether it would be shopping or cultural events.
I would still callthe hotel excellent even though I have been to a lot better.
Tom Degefors

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Degefors,

Having joined Hotel Imperial in May as the new General Manager, I realized that your stay in that same month had been marred by the inflexible and awkward approach of my team members in relation to your car parking process. Please accept, sincerely whilst long overdue, my apologies for this situation and the way it had been handled at the time.

It nevertheless is encouraging to note that aside from this isolated incident you still found our hotel and services to your satisfaction and recommendable.

My team and I hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Vienna on business or leisure in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist with your arrangements.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Orebro,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is by far one of the best hotels I stayed in. The hotel has a perfect location which was a walking distance to all major town down attractions. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel had a classical design and was perfectly clean. Rooms were very big, clean and has very high ceilings. The bed was also great.

I would for sure book this hotel if I ever visit vienna again.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear “Kkuh,

Thank you for your compliments and sharing with other travellers that through the service of our team, the impeccable cleanliness you experienced and our signature Luxury Collection bedding, you would choose our Hotel Imperial once again on future visits.

My team and I hope that you will have an opportunity to return back to Vienna on business or leisure in the future and we have the chance to pamper you once again.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna, the music and culture capital of Europe,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Fantastic stay. Hated to leave.I arrived in Vienna with the intention of staying at the hotel for 2 days.I stayed for seven days and wished I had the time to stay a month.I cannot say enough about the location. You can leave the hotel and be within walking distance of almost every thing there is to do and see.The Hotel itself is historical. You can buy the book in the lobby and read about all the historical events that have taken place at the hotel over the years and when it was a private home.I f you want to know more details (like I did) you must be in touch with Orlando, the concierge and he will introduce you to the valet that has worked there for years and years. I am sorry that I have forgotten his name.My room was fit for an imperial empress. The attention to detail was outstanding.The best assets the Hotel has is Orlando, who excels at his job as conciergeHe arranged for the best possible seats for every event that I wanted to attend from the Symphony to the Vienna Boys Choir.I f you liked concierge in the film " Pretty Woman " you will love Orlando.The food was wonderful, promptly served and with a good selection of Austrian food.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dear “Attessa”,

To hear that the services of my team encouraged you to extend your stay in Vienna beyond your original plans is a truly exceptional compliment. Thank you for your encouraging words about our Concierge services and for highlighting that many intriguing and most interesting details of our 138 years of history are captured and recorded in our “Most Famous Hotels of the World – Hotel Imperial” Book.

My team and I hope that you will have an opportunity to return back to Vienna in the future and we have the chance to spoil you once again and assist you to enjoy the capital city of music & culture with all its amazing sights and sounds.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Dallas-Texas,

Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Staying at the Imperial in Vienna has to be one of life's great experiences – a timeless and supremely elegant hotel right in the heart of one of Europe's most beautiful historic cities. Built in 1863, it was originally the palace of Prince Wurttemberg but he spat the dummy and moved out soon afterwards when the city built the adjacent Musikverein concert hall. The palace lay vacant for a few years and became the Imperial Hotel in 1873.

Appreciating the history gives some insight into the way the hotel works now. This is not a place for loud parties or board-shorts at breakfast. It is a stately building in which the staff work hard to maintain a sense of refined and dignified service. We found this to be very effective – all of the staff that we met were genuinely nice and were keen to ensure that our time at the Imperial was memorable.

We'd booked a Junior Suite for our 5-night stay but on arrival we were upgraded to an Elizabeth Suite. It was beautifully furnished in late 19th century style, slightly spoilt by the intrusion of 2 large flat-screen televisions. It would be better if these could be discretely placed in an armoire or similar hiding place. Otherwise the room was superb, and beautifully maintained with 2 or 3 visits each day from housekeeping. On arrival they put a huge vase of roses in the suite, and these were replaced with an equally magnificent bunch a few days later. There was also a bowl of fruit that was refreshed regularly, plus a complimentary box of the eponymous torte that has been a signature of this hotel since the days of Emperor Franz Josef I. Despite the historic ambience of the hotel, modern elements such as heating/cooling, plumbing and internet were all of a very high standard, discrete and effective.

We found the breakfast buffet to be superb – plenty of variety and quality of food, very attentive staff, great Viennese coffee, and a chef on hand to cook your eggs any way you want them. We had diner in-house once, which was also superb. On other nights we walked the streets of old Vienna where there are plenty of good restaurants. The hotel is just a few minutes walk from the historic tourist hub (Opera House, Stefansplatz, etc.), and also adjacent to the residential area of central Vienna. Both districts offer great options for meals. English is widely understood in the hotel and in the tourist areas but less so at restaurants in the residential quarter. Menus generally come in 2 or 3 languages so if you don't speak much German you can still point and hope. We never found this to be a problem.

The city centre is very crowded with tourists so for a change of pace the hotel organised a limo and driver to take us out to some less-visited places in the Vienna woods. This turned out to be a truly unforgettable day, and not overly expensive. We got to visit Liechtenstein Castle, Heiligenkreuz Abbey, and Mayerling. All very interesting and good to get away from the crowds for a day. At the castle there was just the two of us and a guide who spoke little English. We got by o.k. At Mayerling there was just the two of us and an elderly nun who spoke no English but insisted on showing us absolutely everything – including the blood-soaked carpet where Crown Prince Rudolf, the sole heir to the throne, shot his teenage lover and then shot himself dead. This was in 1889 and the nuns have been trying to clean the carpet ever since.

Overall we can recommend this hotel highly for a very indulgent and memorable stay in Vienna. Obviously it is not a cheap option, but we found that our visit to such a magnificent old city was perfectly complimented by choosing such a wonderful and historic hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear “Marcus_an…”,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel earlier this year in such a comprehensive review. Touching on so many elements, from the historic background, over the guest room and suite amenities, the sumptuous champagne breakfast buffet at our Café Imperial, all the way to the multitude of sightseeing options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel as well as on the outskirts of Vienna, will definitely assist many other global explorers to make the choice for Vienna and the Hotel Imperial.

Another big thank you for the compliments on service and your perceived value for money at our hotel.

My team and I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you and your partner back to Vienna in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to “Down Under” Tasmania,

Klaus Christandl

Been to Hotel Imperial Vienna? Share your experiences!