“Wonderful View” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 363 Hotels in Vienna
Houston
“Wonderful View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent a weekend in Vienna recently, staying at the Sofitel. It was excellent. We had a room overlooking all of Vienna!!! We also had breakfast in the "Le Loft". Food was excellent, view was magnificent. We did eat dinner in the restaurant too and that was very very good.

In summary, the hotel has rooms with a magnificent view. In addition, the staff were most helpful, and the hotel is a short walk from St Stephens and a very short walk from the subway, which takes you directly to Schonbrun. If planning a visit here check (first) on the Spanish Riding School. Watching the stallions and staying at the Sofitel is a wonderful combination.

Room Tip: It is worth asking for a view of the city
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and dinner at “le Loft” restaurant.
I will forward your comments to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,
William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place is brand new. It was designed by some famous French architect: it's ultra-modern and minimalist, but I loved it. The choice of rooms is simple: black, white, or grey. Everything is the same colour. I was in a white room, which was not my first choice (I wanted black so see what it was like to sleep in a comfy cave!). It was a bit sterile for my taste. But the sleep was really comfortable and the layout terrific. I also liked the ultra-modern fixtures and fittings. It may not be to everyone's taste, but you're after modern rather than baroque, you'll love it as much as I did!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the experience of “Living in an Artwork”.
It would be our pleasure to show you the other rooms, in order to find one that might better fit to you.
I will forward your kind words to all Ambassadors.
Kind regard from Vienna,
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is all brand new and extremely modern and luxurious. The Loft bar on the roof is absolutely amazing and definitely worth seeing!!
The room I stayed in was on high floor overlooking the Dome, the view was fantastic! This hotel has a very unique window arrangement with amazing views.
The bed is very comfortable and all the amenities which can be expected are present.
The rooms are very minimalistic, and the bathroom/shower are right in the room without any separations. I found it a bit weird and can't say it's very convenient, but it's a personal choice.
Overall, this Sofitel is quite an experience and a great choice for Vienna!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor room overlooking the Dome
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “living Artwork”!
I will forward you encouraging feedback to all Ambassadors.
Kind regards,
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

+ modern building, very stylish and trendy lobby and rooms (although one may find it a bit "cold" - as opposite to historical hotels in the city center)
+ located just outside of the Ring (it's actually across the bridge from Schwedenplatz U-Bahn station and tram №1 which goes around the "Ring", so the historical part of the city is easily reached in 10 minutes, as well as the Prater and Hundertwasser's House - also by tram №1, but only in opposite direction). It's not as crowded as the center itself, so the location is even better. There's also a Novotel just around the corner - for those with a more realistic budget. "Coffee Bean" is across the road to start the day, and for dinner I would strongly recommend to try Novotel's "Five Senses" restaurant, which is highly underestimated by many of its guests.
+ very well trained staff, including the most welcoming and charming concierge I have ever met. Attention and attitude were of a highest level, and this is what makes good hotels become great. Concierge and guest service staff did a great job to prepare my spouse's birthday celebration (room decoration, cake etc).
+ airport limo service charge was just a few EUR more than regular taxi, but huge black BMW was totally worth 40 EUR. Definitely recommended. (They also accept credit cards).

+/- classic (cheapest) and superior rooms are mostly the same, the only difference being the floor and the view. They mostly come in white color, while the luxury rooms are gray OR white, the difference again is the view to the cathedral or the Prater wheel. Originally I've booked the superior room, then was upgraded to luxury room because of the A-Club platinum status, and then paid extra 80 EUR per night for a Junior suite.
The suite was all white with a view to the wheel, but I can't say it was really worth it. It was like luxury room plus the living area which is only useful if you plan to throw a party there. Otherwise all the amenities were the same. (There's also a benefit of the free mini-bar, but it's stocked with juices and water - and you can buy lots of it for 80 EUR :).
Now, what I don't like about the "contemporary" style that became so increasingly popular in so many upscale new hotels, it's that the rooms are designed for "luxury living style" magazines, but not actually for living. The huge bathroom is open-plan, which means that it's cold almost everytime (and I won't mention the sliding glass doors that are great for couples but become a problem when staying with kids or colleagues). Very beautiful but complicated room lighting; stained panoramic windows; shower without a curtain or door, so that the water may flow free wherever it may want - this is useless type of design that is only beautiful on pictures, but totally inconvenient to stay in.

- the worst breakfast I have seen in Accor hotels (even Ibis). A very nice 17th floor view is great but it can't feed you. A tiny choice of muesli, pastry, ham, cheese, jogurt and a few types of fruit - it's a standard of 3 star hotel. Yes, the fresh orange juice was great; but why only orange? Intercontinental Warsaw offered like 5 or 7 different freshly squeezed juices, yet it was 3 times cheaper than Sofitel. I've stayed in a lower Accor brands like Ibis and Mercure - and they offered orange juice too, but the choice of food was greater. For some reason they don't have a cooking station, but instead offer various types of omelette and crepes a'la carte. Ok, fine, but it took 10-15 minutes to get my crepes ready, and to be honest, I didn't expect it to be one tiny crepe in the centre of a large plate. I didn't order waffles, but something tells me that there would be just one lonely waffle on the endlessly big plate, like they do it in Michelin restaurants...

Room Tip: even classic rooms are great, but white or black suite is very romantic
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you had a wonderful experience in our “Living Artwork” and that the birthday celebration of your spouse was a success.
I have forwarded your kind words to all our Ambassadors and especially to our Concierge.
I am very sorry that the breakfast was not at your satisfaction, here as well I have forwarded your comment to our chef and Director of Operations in order to improve the breakfast and implement your ideas.
Netanya, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel is near the old town, minutes from the metro and the terminal bus stop a minute away. Superb staff, very nice room, lovely design, cleaning, coffee room and a mini-bar with free drinks.
Breakfast on the 18th floor with breathtaking views of the city.
When we encountered a problem with one of Mr. Andre Lange management team handled our problem to our satisfaction.
Returning to Vienna, then only this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment about the hotel.
I am glad to read that you were fully satisfied by our Ambassadors, the room and our “living Artwork”.
I will pass on your kind words about Mr. Lange.
I do hope to welcome you back soon in our hotel.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last summer with my b/f and have to say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world including Rome/NYC/Paris/London etc. So that is a big statement!! The hotel in itself is beautiful, very modern, clean and elegant. Le loft restaurant is incredible, what an incredible view! Staff were so accommodating and go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Would recommend this to anyone. Also if you look at the right site you will get a great price!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very nice comment.
I am very happy to read that you had a positive experience in our hotel and that you would recommend our “living Artwork”.
I do hope to welcome you back soon again.

Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Everything is tip-top, rooms are white only, stylish and very arty, staff very helpful and polite. There's free wi/fi in rooms and lobby, a nespresso machine and a free mini-bar (no alcohol). Also, the spa and fitness facilities are modern and well equipped. The breakfast is rather fair comparing to the other conditions in the hotel but a definitely strong recommendation for Vienna.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the experience in our “Living Artwork”.
I have forwarded your comments regarding the breakfast to our Director of Operations.
It would be my pleasure to soon welcome you back in our hotel.
William Haandrikman

Been to Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom? Share your experiences!