“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zwolf Apostelkeller

Zwolf Apostelkeller
Sonnenfelsgasse 3, Vienna 1010, Austria (Old University Quarter)
+43-1-512 67 77
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Switzerland
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We went for dinner at 12Apostelkeller on our second evening in Vienna - and we loved it. So much that we returned for our last night dinner again.
The atmosphere is simply great - very relaxed, traditional and rustic.
We knew there will be musicians playing live typical Austrian/Viennese music (Heurigenmusikanten), and we could even make requests when they approached our table (an extra tip is kind of expected), and that made our evening actually unforgettable.
The food is very nice - delicious and big portions. All traditional local food for all kinds of taste and appetite.
The wait staff was fast, accommodating and competent.
This "cellar" is for sure the first place I will be returning for a nice dinner when back in Vienna!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Greek first
Kristiansand, Norway
“Nice old authentic place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Went there for the first time. The atmosphere is great, part of the cellar are from the 11th century. Obviously, a very popular place, also for the locals. The service could have been better. The lady who served us did several mistakes and appeared too hectic. But overall, a nice experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Munich, Germany
“Too Big for its Britches”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

God this place is big. It just keeps going and going and going . . . down. You're supposed to be glad that you're eating in a real cellar, an authentic historical something or other; but the farther down you tramp, the more cluttered and oddly cheap looking everything is. It's as if the owners have put all their energy into making the first couple of levels beautiful, but then lost interest in the lower levels. They're dreary. Unimaginative. I went down there to take pictures but didn't take any.

And I haven't even begun to talk about the food. It all looked fairly normal. I wouldn't have chosen to eat here. My food was nothing to write home about, so I won't.

It was hot. The air was bad. I couldn't wait to get out into the fresh air. Although it was my birthday and could have had a second glass of wine, all I wanted to do was get out.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Need to be visited at least once”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I fully agree with other reviews about the architectural interest.
Food and wine are decent; my colleagues have also appreciated the different beers. Service is efficient. Price are decent too.
You need to have visited this if you come to Vienna. However I would not return every time I come to Vienna.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Regular stop when in Vienna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I love this place. I eat there every time I go to Vienna. The ambiance is wonderful. I like their hot dishes more than their cold.

• Visited June 2013