“Location + elegant = Herrenhof. A perfect hotel for toursits.” 5 of 5 stars

Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herrengasse 10, Vienna 1010, Austria   |
Ranked #38 of 365 Hotels in Vienna
Chicago
“Location + elegant = Herrenhof. A perfect hotel for toursits.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

got a parking ticket using the valet (not kidding) but the hotel said they'd take care of it (let's hope!). This is a very nice hotel in the best location possible to tour Vienna. Starbucks just down the street which is nice. Rooms are big, very elegant. Got a room in the back of the hotel to ensure quiet and it was. It's a bit expensive but the value was there. If you're a tourist this location is hard to beat.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
PA28flyer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

We spent a long weekend at the Herrnhof hotel in November 2009 and we were absolutely delighted with the room, service and food. The staff were polite and helpful and made us feel really welcome. The room itself, a 'deluxe' double, was finished to a high standard with plenty of space and light. The bed was comfortable and the complimentary mini-bar was great!

This has to be in one of the best locations in the city. Literally a stone's throw from the Hofburg Imperial Palace you're close to plenty of great restaurants and attractions. The hotel was exceptionally clean and tidy. The restaurant, bar and lobby are very chic and modern but at the same time unpretentious. We ate in the hotel on one night and had a great meal. I actually think the food prices are fairly reasonable for a hotel.

Well recommended - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

From the minute we arrived this hotel was fantastic. The staff were amazing - helpful and friendly! Very centrally located in the best part of Vienna.
The rooms were lovely - spacious and well-decorated. There were two small points, however. The pillows were way too soft and there were not enough English speaking TV channels.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Trondheim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in March. Excellent sized rooms with a comfortable bed.

Very attentive service from the staff in the reception. The one small minus about the staff is the fact that the cleaning staff is a little bit too eager in the morning. 4 out of 5 mornings the cleaning staff came knocking on our door. So remember to put out the "do not disturb"-sign, if you want to sleep longer than 8.30 in the morning. :)

Great location on Herrengasse with the U-bahn next door. Over all, two thums up. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

I loved the Steigenberger Herrenhof. I was traveling for business and asked to stay in this hotel. I did not regret it. The rooms are wonderfully designed and even had a water kettle as well as complementary internet access. The staff is very helpful. The location is fantastic and I adored the spa area. The only negative point was the the breakfast restaurant gets very crowded and noisy on the weekends. I would definitely stay in the Herrenhof again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

As I wrote in a previous review of K+K Maria Theresia (KKMT) I wuld try another hotel and this is it. Once again it was Marc and time for the annual congress visit. This tiem I decided to try a larger and more expensive hotel to see what I am missing. Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien (SHHW) seemed like the best choice.
Location: there is virtual no difference between SHHW and KKMT, but still SHHW is minimally better. First of all it is very close to major attractions, especially the central café which is very nice and elegant. The distance to subway is 10 sec! which is almost one-two minutes less than the distance between KKMT and the nearest subway. In order to go to congress center you have to change your station anyway.

Convenience: As you enter the hotel you have two steps and there is a doorman to greet you. There is no ramp. Therefore the situation is much better than KKMT.
Rooms: the room I had was a corner room at the last floor. The room was very spacious and large. The only problem was that there was another door almost immediately behind it. Unlike KKMT the doors are very heavy and thus much better noise isolation. KKMT was not disturbing but you could hear people walking in the hallway. The two heavy doors however made going with stuff very difficult. For instance when I had room service one night and I wanted to leave the tray outside, it proved very difficult to manage this alone. The doors were also a problem, they did not open easily as I had to try many times for the electronic key to become activated. The ceiling was very high and nice. The views from the room were great.
It did snow a lot when I was there but SHHW does not provide umbrellas like KKMT.
The breakfast was excellent virtually as good as KKMT.
Wireless internet connection was provided in the rooms for free. You had to log in via a server once every 24 hours. The codes were provided at the lobby either all at nice the first day or you could get them one by on. Though wireless connection sounded great, the connection was below average in the room. I waned to talk with skype to my family and my five months old daughter. It was very annoying to have interruptions every 4 minutes. Even though the connection in the room was not wireless in KKMT, this factor was so important that I will choose this KKMT the next time.
The room towels were great..
The room safe was spacious and there were a lot of good place in the closet for hanging your jackets. We had an automatic shoe wax machine at least on our floor. Iron would be provided upon request.
Room service and food is available from 6 until 11 pm. The rooms have very primitive free mini-bar and the choice is very very limited. The items were not renewed during my fours days of stay. The prices were high for room service.
SHHW is of course more expensive than KKMT.
All in all a very good hotel, but because of problems with wifi I would choose KKMT.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

we stayed 3 nights in Vienna. plan was to get acquainted w/ the city first night, opera, next then concert for last night. Booked opera through hotel concierge 2nd morning and was sent to an opera house 20 euro cab away while the main opera house is just down the street, a few minutes walking distance away. To make the matter worse, upon arrival, we had to wait for a long time because people at reservation desk of Volksoper could not find our tickets! They attended to everyone in line and the opera had started before they can look up our reservation code in the computer. Then they told us our reservation was for NEXT MONTH! Can you believe how irate we were? We flew half way across the world and got sent half way across town for this?? And it's too late to make other arrangement for the evening.
When i asked about it the next day at the front desk, the girl can only tell me "He said the reservation made a mistake." "I can only tell you want he told me." "You better ask the Concierge in person." A note of apology and a small tray with a few chocolate was sent to our room that evening and that was it! Tickets supposedly will be refunded next week some time. I did not pursue because I can tell they are not sincere about making up for their mistake! And further conversation around the topic would just ruin my day or possibly my whole trip!
House keeping was random! Our coffee/tea cups or glasses were not cleaned if there's even one sip left in them. So, if you want them cleaned, you'd better dump what's left in the glass or lick them dry! toiletries were not refilled on daily basis. If you need to use Qtips on daily basis, you'd better bring your own!
Breakfast was outrageously expensive- and you'd better have patience to wait in line to get in.
Rooms were very spacious and bathrooms were very modern, updated- which I like a lot. Bed and pillows were comfortable, so you'd get a good night sleep. Room heater does not warm up to the temperature you set, so if you like your room warm, you'd better find another facility.
Overall, i think this hotel's overrated for the price it's charging!- even w/o the gross mistake they made on my opera reservation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
AlbertMayr, Director of Business Development at Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien, responded to this review, March 12, 2010
Dear guest,

I do appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof. Only with feedback like yours we can improve our services.

Regarding the faulty reservations at the Volksoper, I would like to express my deepest apologies. We have reiterated the importance of exact information and exact reservations with our concierge team. Unfortunately our concierges were not able to reach you before departure in order to rectify the situation.

Furthermore our housekeeping team has been urged to keep a closer look at small details like refilling amenities to make the stay of our guests as comfortable as possible.

At last I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding the comfort of our rooms and beds.

Dear guest please feel free to contact me personally in case of any further wishes.

With kind regards
Albert Mayr
Director of Business Development

Been to Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien? Share your experiences!