“Disappointed and way overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Vienna
“Disappointed and way overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've eaten at small places similar to this, which somehow manage not to make you wait over an hour if you happen not to order what they suggest, also managing not to charge ridiculous prices. I am quite tolerant of highly-spiced food, but 15 or so red chillies still with the seeds inside was way too much heat!! And my boyfriend's stomach couldn't tolerate it. So that was around 80 Euros for a somewhat frustrating and disappointing experience. The heat of the spice was so intense I felt unreal.

So I will not be returning.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Vienna, Austria
“AMAZING food from a very special lady :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

So it´s not right at the Stephansplatz, and it is not so fancy decorated like Patara (where you pay not for great food but for the waiters serving even your dog like slaves), but it is a very special ambience where one amazing woman cooks on a 2 small stovetops, everything selfmade and weekly delivered direct to her from Thailand.
THE BEST CURRY YOU WILL EVER EAT!
And yes, there is no lounge music, and no velvet chairs, and no view, and the staff is silent and inobtrusive, but WHO CARES when the food is so good that you thank God you discovered this place !!!!
I am horrified by the bad reviews.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baden, Austria
“Worst restaurant experience of my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have lived in Austria for almost two years now, and I've gotten used to bad service. So, when I read the reviews that said the service was bad but the food was good, I chalked it up to the typical Viennese dining experience. I went with a friend of mine who lives right around the corner from the place and had heard that it had great food. We were both craving Thai food and thought we would give it a try. When we sat down, there were only two other tables occupied, and it was about 6:30pm. We planned on going to an 8:30 movie (the movie theater was only about ten minutes away so we figured we would make it for sure, even if the food took awhile). We ordered our drinks, and I asked if I could use the bathroom, but they don't have a bathroom in the restaurant. Instead, you can be lead inside the building next door into what I'm assuming is the couple's apartment to go to the bathroom. Seemed sketchy to me so I decided to wait. So, when we ordered our food, the owner/waiter pointed out three dishes on the menu and said it would be faster if we ordered those dishes. The prices are completely outrageous (€16.50 for pad thai?!?!?! you must be joking), but I figured the food would be worth it. However, at the same time, when paying that much, I am going to choose what I want, not what would be "faster." So, my friend and I both ordered "non-recommended dishes." The server pointed out to my friend that her dish is thai-scharf, or "thai-hot." My friend lived in Bangkok and loves really really spicy food, so she wasn't put off by this at all. So, we ordered, around 6:45pm, and the waiting began. I quickly realized that the reason the server recommended those few dishes to us was because those are the dishes the other two tables had ordered. I realized later that basically, they wait for a couple of tables to order the same thing before they start to cook your meal (another table came after us, but then they got their food at the same time as the table that was there before us, because they ordered the same thing). So, they "collect" your order, then wait for someone else to order the same so...why? I'm not really sure..she can cook a big batch all at once? Seems odd. Any ways, we literally waited about two hours for our food (another table ordered what I ordered so they go theirs the same time as me, even though they had only been there for a half hour). However, my friend then had to wait another 10-15 minutes before her food came. Now I will say, mine was good, but it wasn't spectacular. It was just a simple pad thai, and not nearly a large enough portion for the price. I would say it was about half the size of a normal Thai restaurant portion. When my friend's food finally came (a spicy beef dish), it was a complete disaster. It had about five strips of poor quality beef, over 20 chili peppers, and then the spicy paste they used to make it. It was 70% chili pepper, 20 % paste, and 10% beef. For €18.50, it didn't come with rice so she ordered it separately and the plate of rice was a joke (very very small). She couldn't even eat the food, and not just because it was so spicy, but it was WAYYY too salty. Oh, and the server didn't give us napkins, he said they "ran out." I then watched as the server went over to tell another table that they were out of beef and would have to order something else, so they did. At this point, it was 8:45pm (we had completely missed our movie), and the restaurant closed at 9pm. The cook proceeded to come out and yell at the same table that couldn't get the beef dish that if they didn't order the same thing, they couldn't order at all, because the restaurant was closing in 15 minutes (however, they arrived before 8 and had been waiting nearly an hour before they informed them that they couldn't have what they originally ordered). I was so angry when I left, we didn't give them much of a tip, and the guy seemed really pissed about that. What did he expect?! So no, not only was the service horrible, the food was even worse. I think they are some kind of sick masochists who do this to people for fun. There is no other explanation. Do not waste your time on this horrible place, it will only ruin your day.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, Austria
“The food is authentic (but without choices) but the owner/cook is a disaster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

It's funny. I read only the first few words of the first few reviews before I went here. The food was good. Crazy hot and spicy green curry. Definitely couldn't finish it because it was so hot. But it was the real deal.
But I didn't read the rest of the reviews that called the owner/cook a evil yoda. Um, yeah. I see that point. Nothing available on the menu (honestly, 2 dishes. That's it. No appetizers, no soups. 2 mains), she yelled at us to order immediately so she could close. She turned away the next two sets of customers that came in (closing? she didn't like the way they looked? she was out of food?) She took our money, have herself a 9 euro tip (for terrible service and rushing us out) and never offered us any change. We can't read German, so didn't realize until we read the reviews later that the signs on the table warned us against LOUD LAUGHING. Are you kidding? We didn't find the place very fun-- a little scary, really-- so laughing was not an issue. But don't try it. She'll get you.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“DO NOT GO! AWFUL PLACE AWFUL STAFF!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

They should have their work license taken away! Overpriced! No customer Service!

The place is run by a man (waiter) and women cook. Man offers only beer and orange juice I head to beg for water. The cook is pushy so we had to order right away since she wanted to close early. 80% or menu (which is overpriced) is not available.
We ordered the two things available on the menu and the cook was counting our bites so she can close earlier. When I tried to get a second glass of water she took my semi empty glass and filled it up and gave it back.
For 2 dishes and a beer we where asked to pay 42euro.
When I gave her 50 euro she asked for smaller bills not a 50 euro one. And after taking the bills she did not return any change.
I don't know who gave them a trip advisor certificate but it should be taken away.
Never again will I go to that place.

• Visited November 2012