“Clean and centrally located” 3 of 5 stars

Messmer am Kornmarkt
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kornmarktstrasse 16, Bregenz A-6900, Austria   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Bregenz
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Clean and centrally located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

If I could give Messmer a 3 1/2 I would. The rooms are immaculately clean and the hotel is quiet at night. It is perfectly located on a long central street of shopping and only a 10 minute walk from the train station or a 5 minute walk to the lake. The cleaning staff are very friendly where as the front desk have no personality. Perhaps they should switch roles. Either way, we would recommend this hotel if you want clean and efficient with a decent breakfast.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Chilmark, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Overall, we loved this hotel. We went at the end of January. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were neat and clean, the beds cozy, and the bathroom quite modern. Free Wi-Fi was a plus. The restaurant dinner was truly scrumptious and the breakfast buffet substantial with lots of choices. The tricky things to deal with we easily sorted. Here they are in our opinion: To avoid the smokey bar, take the elevator to the first floor, as opposed to the stairs. The rooms were quite warm at night so we opened our window to the lovely crisp, winter air. The drainage in the shower was a little slow but we tend to use water efficiently, so that was no bother. This hotel is within convenient walking distance to the tram up the mountain, the nearby shops, the Lake Constance waterfront, and the train station. If we ever return to Bregenz, we will stay here once more. Constance Messmer (Now you can see why we stayed here!)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel -- for one night. I was supposed to be there for 7, but one was all I could take.

I am traveling through Europe, on tour with a large-scale musical production. We number just over 70 when you tot up performers, musicians, crew and sundry other staff. I "get" that it can be a bit of a benumbing experience to have us all at once, pouring off of our bus and up to the desk of the unsuspecting hotel clerks.

But that doesn't and shouldn't matter, ultimately. Far more often than not, the hotels where we've booked over the last year have more than adequately risen to the challenges of "en masse occupancy". At the absolute worst establishments where we've stayed, and the Hotel Messmer ranks right up (down?) there with them, it's not just that there facility is out of date, or they don't have services that they claim to have in their advertising (more on that in sentence or two) -- it's that management and staff react to these inadequacies by embracing them; they have a passion for saying "no", and "that is not possible".

"Free wifi". This is what they advertise. It is 1/2 correct, for as there really IS no wifi, you do not have to pay for it. We were told, with a very chilly attitude by management, that the system does not support more than 50 people at one time. With a straight face, they just told that to the roughly 72 people who just checked into their hotel. Other hotels more have internet infrastructures in place that can more than capably handle all customers in the hotel, even if all customers are online at the same time. Imagine checking into a hotel in the late 1950's or early 1960's (where this hotel, by the way, seems stuck in terms of decor and furnishings), having selected your hotel largely on the basis of their advertising "free television", only to be told when you inquire as to the absence of a tv in your room, "oh, not in EVERY room".

But at least my room was cold. Gotta love a nice, freezing room when traveling through Austria in the dead of winter. And that charming "ashtray funk" that permeates every nook and cranny of this fine establishment only adds to the hotel's "retro" charm.

If that's not enough to entice you to drop everything and book a suite immediately, at no extra charge one receives a very thoughtful jackhammer wake-up call at 8 a.m. That advertised sauna in which you were so looking forward shvitzing away the stresses of life on the road? Well, that's undergoing repairs, and can't possibly be ready for use during your stay. But enjoy the noise!

I left the hotel the next morning. Checked into the newish Ibis in town, where the wifi works, the rooms are clean and odor-free, and while they don't offer a sauna, one is left with the impression that if they did, you could trust that it would work. Avoid the Messmer at all costs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
williamstown.ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This centrally located hotel was very comfortable . The only drawback was lack of air conditioning . This could be a problem depending on the weather.Breakfast was very good.. The beds were typical with a comforter and no top sheet. Bathroom was small with very small shower.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Neat and clean rooms. Though the hallways smelt of cigarette smoke the rooms themselves were fine. Breakfast is well provisioned and good. Location is excellent with the mall, town square, restaurants and most Bregenz attractions within a short walk. Downside of the proximity to all is that you share in all the late night goings-on: streetside rooms can be noisy. Friendly service. Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a quite room, away from the street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I love this hotel.

Spotlessly clean, great sized rooms and fab food in a lovely restaurant and bar area.

The breakfast buffet was huge and catered for all possible tastes.

I defy anyone to find fault with this hotel – it’s just comfortable and great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed for one night in this hotel, arriving by ferry boat from Lindau, Germany. The hotel is at crawling distance from Bregenz Hafen (harbour and train station). The main train station is a bit further away, but within walking distance. Since the town is quite small, everything is within walking distance, really.

Modern is not a word I would use for this hotel. I would call it decent with standard furniture, but it is clean which is one of my main issues with hotels. I thought this hotel had 3 stars, but I see some mentions of 4 stars in the comments. I think 2/3 stars is about right if I compare with other European hotels. I've been in hotels with similar level of quality that had 2 stars. I'm always very happy to find a hair dryer in the bathroom, which was the case here. Traditional key locks, minibar in the room, TV with some English channels (if I remember correctly, I've been in 5 hotels within 10 days).

The breakfast is a buffet style breakfast in an impersonal environment. Enough choices to be made, but nothing special. There is a bar and a restaurant with the hotel. I've been in the bar, which turned out to be smoking area. In the morning there are many people there and the smoke greets you if you come down by stairs and a bit in the hallways. Rooms are non-smoking.

This hotel was booked by my travel agency as part of a round trip through Austria. I wouldn't necessarily have chosen it myself, because I like smaller hotels that do not attract large group travel. While I was there, there were several large groups that also occupied large parts of the breakfast area.

I left my bag for a few hours at the reception area, where it just sat behind the desk in plain sight. Service for that could be better, a room that closes for example.

Room Tip: I had a room at the front of the hotel on the second floor and had no trouble sleeping even though a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Messmer am Kornmarkt? Share your experiences!