“Kitzbuhel, Austria” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 49 hotels in Kitzbuhel
Derbyshire
“Kitzbuhel, Austria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel is in an ideal place with it's own lake which is where you can start most of your local walks from. The hotel is very clean and the staff speak English. We enjoyed it so much we are looking to go again this year.

Room Tip: Not advised to have a room over the restaurant if there is a wedding party, it's very noisy. It...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the lake. Very peaceful at night. Food was good and varied, perfectly acceptable for us. Other guests were mostly German, but this was not an issue in any way. Lovely walk into twin centre for access to cable cars etc. Weather was glorious and very hot. It was great to have a swim in the lake following a day out exploring!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have a fantastic room , actually it's a 2 bedroomed apartment ..
Food is the normal alpine fayre... So excellent . Great breakfasts .
Sauna is fine , staff very friendly and a nice atmosphere . Only drawback is either a long walk to the ski bus or get the hotel shuttle bus , which isn't too bad.
I'm very impressed with the Kitzbuhel ski region .., there's plenty if it .
I would be happy to recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Alpenhotel. The first time was four years ago and the hotel lived up to our expectations. We travelled with Inghams.

The hotel is a 20 minute pleasant walk from the centre of Kitzbuhel. Take a torch with you if you want to walk into the town at night.You can catch the train from the station 5 minutes walk away which will take you into Kitzbuhel, to the Hahnenkamm cable car station, Innsbruck, Zell am See etc. and the hotel minibus will take you into Kitzbuhel centre or to the main station.

The receptionists were very helpful with suggestions for walks and printing train timetables to save us having to go to tourist information.

We stayed in a lake view room which was clean and comfortable. We had good views of the lake, sunsets, clouds and thunderstorms.

The only English language TV channel was CNN, I would have preferred BBC World news to keep up with events, and the option of English language films as we stayed in the hotel most evenings.

There is a lakeside bathing area, which is free for hotel guests to use , although this is very busy in good weather and there is a comfortable bar/lounge.

The food was good. In particular there was a good choice for breakfast with fresh fruit and a cook who made eggs and bacon to order.

We have had an enjoyable two weeks holiday and expect to return to the Alpenhotel.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

They say that 80% of Austrians holiday in Austria. And I know that most British people who do try Austria in the summer return many times. This was our 5th visit to Austria and the first to Kitzbuhel. I am now regrettng that we never went here before, its such a wonderful town and location.

We chose the Alpen hotel knowing that it was a 30 minute walk from the hotel to Kitzbuhel, but that that would be balanced by a peaceful lakeside location. Although the hotel offered a shuttle bus to Kitzbuhel, more often that not we took the train (the station is a 5 minute walk, trains are always on time, and a 3 minute ride to the town centre!) or one of the hire bikes.

The hotel itself did not disappoint. Very cosy and homely. A gorgeous lounge and bar area. Nice spacious dining room. Rooms were comfortable and clean - not luxurious, but spacious. We upgraded to a lake side view with a large balcony. It was west facing so we had the late afternoon sushine to relax after a days biking or hiking.

We arrived early (around noon) but our room was ready by 1.30, after we had sampled a wonderful lunch on the veranda overlooking the lake. The female reception staff were wonderful.

The food was very good and plentiful. Dinner menus were well thought out -- different every night and wonderfully presented. The waiting saff were friendly and efficient. There was always a vegetarian opton, and on several occasions we had a choice of fish or vegetarian. So it was not all Wiener Schnitzel, as we have experienced in the past.

The free bikes were in really good condition and we could cycle to any of the local towns without going on a road with traffic.

We were lucky wiht the weather - beautiful warm sunny days, a bit cloudy later in the evening, and the occasional storm at night.

So overall, a very enjoyable stay and we will definitely consider a return trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have just returned from a family holiday in Kitzbuhel and had a wonderful weeks stay. We booked a package through Inghams around four weeks before arrival and after reading several reviews about the Alpen Hotel. The four star average rating certainly seems to be fair.
Upon arrival at Innsbruck airport, we discovered that our coach was to be shared with another flight arriving from Manchester an hour later. So we were hanging around for over an hour because Inghams weren't prepared to put on another coach. Clearly profit margins were being put before customer service on this occasion. The transfer took around 1hr30mins to Kitzbuhel, but we would definitely book a private transfer next time.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the lovely Sandra who is a real asset to the hotel and couldn't have been more helpful throughout our stay. She offered us advice on walks, bus times and generally made sure we had everything we needed for our stay.
The hotel has a shuttle bus service to and from Kitzbuhel centre and also to the ski lifts. Walking takes around 20-30 minutes, so it isn't far if you chose to do this. There is also free cycle hire (no helmets available) and the option of electric bikes at 20Euro/day.
The location of the hotel is excellent if you want to be set away from the town centre, but yet within easy reach. The hotel is on the bank of Schwarzee lake with lovely views of the surrounding mountains. There is a cafe with decking and sun loungers (which also belongs to the hotel) set slightly nearer to the lake, adjacent to the main hotel building. This is open to hotel guests for lunch/drinks and with free sun lounger rental.
We stayed half-board and were not disappointed with the food on offer. There was an excellent selection at the breakfast buffet and the dinners had four courses each night: starter and dessert were both buffet, but soup and main course (3 options) were served to the table. Worth noting is that you have the same table throughout your stay, so make them aware early if you're not happy with its position! The waiting staff were very friendly and attentive, with the exception of the older male waiter who seemed to always talk in a loud voice and attempt to make jokes, often at the expense of hotel guests who did not speak German. Most of the guests appeared to laugh along with him politely but he was clearly the least polular.
Our rooms were of a good standard and decorated in traditional Austrian style. However, there were no tea/coffee making facilities nor a minibar. Sleep quality was below par due to the very soft matresses and also the fact that a double bed consitutes two singles being pushed together.
We spent many an hour in the hotel lounge area before and after dinner, which has warm and homely decorations and plenty of sofas dotted around. There is also a sauna/spa area set within the basement which is spacious and well-equipped.
Aside from the above minor niggles, we had a very pleasant stay at the Alpen Hotel and would recommend it to friends who plan to visit Kitzbuhel.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms have the best view but the balconies are in full sunlight between 1400 - 2000.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York/Munich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I must concur with the opinion of the review in German. For those who don't understand German, I'm glad I'm able to share my experience in English. Perhaps it might be of help to someone or spare someone a bit of grief.

I am in the first trimester of pregnancy and have two small children...which makes me chronically exhausted. So I decided to leave the kids with my husband for a couple of nights and book myself into a hotel where I could just relax and regain my strength. I chose the Alpenhotel based on the glowing reviews here and the beautiful setting on the Schwarzsee.

My first experiences were very positive. Sandra was very pleasant and helpful through the reservation and the check-in process. I would have been writing a different review indeed if I hadn't had the misfortune of coming in contact with the hotel manager, Johann Eberharter.

The first thing I did after I checked into my room was collapse and sleep for a few hours. I then read for a while and decided to turn in for the night at about a quarter to midnight. I went to switch the lamp on and, as soon as I did, I heard a click and the whole room was in darkness. There was obviously a short in the lamp and it blew or turned off the circuit. I came out of my room and discovered that the rest of the hotel had light so I went downstairs and there was not a soul to be seen anywhere. There was an emergency number on the check-in desk which I must have called 20 times but there was no answer. Then, I remembered that someone had come out from the kitchen earlier to help me so I knocked on the kitchen door. No answer but it wasn't locked so I pushed it open. Right by the door was a telephone and a list of numbers on the wall. Since I couldn't call from my room and I had no more charge in my cell phone battery, I thought "perfect, now I can find someone to help me". So I started dialing numbers that I thought might be helpful. There was even an emergency cell number of an electrician. But again, no luck, no answer. And still no one coming in or going out of the hotel. I was completely panicked by now, not only because I couldn't go back to my room but I was really afraid that I was completely alone in the whole hotel in this very remote place. I kept thinking "what kind of place is this or what have I gotten myself into??"

I kept trying to call the number of the electrician and even tried to call the local police once just in case they knew the owner of the hotel - as it sometimes is in such small towns. And finally about 2am, after over 2 hours of this ordeal, a man walked through the door and marched straight up to me. Not wanting to bother him if he was a guest like me, I asked him if he worked there or was a guest. He didn't answer my question, just stared stonily at me and very coldly and arrogantly said "can I help you?" A bit confused this time, I asked him again if he worked there. He finally grunted out "ja" and asked me his question again, this time with his voice rising. Before I could even finish my explanation, he snapped "and what are you doing with the hotel telephone?" and he yanked the phone right out of my hands as he pompously announced that he was the manager here. I was at my wits end and said I could not believe that instead of apologies for what I'd gone through in the past 2+ hours, I was getting was such horrible treatment and bullying from the hotel manager! He then accused me of not lowering my tone while all the while screaming at me and pointing his finger rudely at me. I said I would lower my voice when he lowered his. He then threatened to evacuate me from the hotel if I didn't lower my voice. Since I wasn't ready to pay for being yelled at and insulted, I said I would be more than happy to leave but I wasn't going to pay a cent. Luckily, I came with a car and I packed my bag as soon as possible. He first refused to give me a receipt showing zero balance but I insisted and refused to leave until he gave me one.

Although completely exhausted and shaken from the experience, I was very happy to leave the Alpenhotel behind even if it meant driving home in the middle of the night. I am of the opinion that, as long as you don't have the misfortune of coming in contact with the hotel manager, you will probably have a great time there. As for me, as long as this uncivilized, pompous and rude jerk with an over-inflated ego is still camouflaging and clowning about as the hotel manager, you couldn't pay me enough to step foot in this hotel again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Alpenhotel Kitzbuehel? Share your experiences!