“Nice deer stake and nice wine!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ankara, Turkey
“Nice deer stake and nice wine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited there to celebrate an occasion with friends. My friends ordered gulash and schnitzel which I found to be mediocre but my deer stake was the best I had in Austria during my one week stay. And we had a very nice wine with a very rich palate Umathum's zweigelt. Suited perfectly the steak. Was the most traditional restaurant I've been to in Austria including Stiftskeller... Bit pricey though but still I believe it desreves that.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City
“Worth the Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Although my wife and I tend to enjoy places off the beaten path, given the reviews of how good the food was (even from the negative ones) we decided to try out this restaurant since we were staying nearby. Given the revies for poor service, we decided to go late (10pm) so it wouldn't be as crowded and less likelty to get poor service. Turned out o be a good decision. We sat upstars and enjoyed a nice meal, professional serivce and frair rpcing considering the lcoation and quality of the dinner.

I recommend the Kalbsrahmgulash and Seeteufelmedaillons (monkfish); they were excellent.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice and cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Very good restaurant ! Good products, good cooking ! And a perfect placement- In the center of the Old Town! The price of it is also very liberal.Come and enjoy!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Food and service of mixed quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Located in a historical building in Innsbruck's old town, this restaurant has plenty of character and charm, but unfortunately this does not wholly extend to the ambiance and food. Upon entering the restaurant, the reception we received was quite curt and we were brusquely instructed to go to the second floor. The young man who greeted us on this floor was thankfully more welcoming and we were seated a a nice table by the window. As we waited for our order to be taken, we noticed that the staff didn't seem ready for guests; despite the fact that quite a few tables were occupied when we arrived (admittedly on the early side at 6:30), each new arrival was accompanied by a flurry of activity as the table was set, glasses were brought out, and candles were lit. An enticing selection of warm bread, accompanied by two spreads (nice, but one tasted suspiciously like powdered soup mixed in with mashed potato) was brought out before the meal to have with our aperitif. Despite our glasses being empty when main course arrived, we were not offered additional drinks, which usually would have annoyed me but seeing as we had limited time and were only planning on having main course (not that they knew that), it didn't really matter. Mixed reviews for the meals: my husband's ravoli was really nice, with soft fresh pasta and plenty of good parmesan, but the fish I ordered, while tasty enough, was overcooked to the point of being chewy around the edges and the "risotto" accompaniment, while not unpleasant, bore no relation to any risotto I've ever had. Overall, it was an ok meal, but not up to the standard you'd expect for the price.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Try the Local red wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

From the moment my partner and I walked in this restaurant we felt as though we had been transported to another century. The beauty of the very walls around you, the candlelit tables and the old-fashioned yet very welcome hospitality of the serving staff is just wonderful. The menu tells a story about the history of the building and how it is one of the oldest buildings in innsbruck, so for the reasonable price of the glorious food, you're getting a pretty sweet package deal.
I had the deer stew which I at first thought may be a tad gamey, though I was feeling adventurous, and I could not be more wrong. The meat literally fell apart and melted in your mouth, it was served with the most divine potato dumpling which i thought was more like a rosti, whatever it was, I want more of it! My partner had the goulash and the Wiener schnitzel. The Wiener schnitzel was lovely though we had better at other restaurants in innsbruck, the best was at cafe sacher, as an FYI. The goulash was amazing, so hearty and full of great flavours, definitely the best I've ever tried.
We also had the local weissburgunde which I have to say is one of the nicest reds I've ever had. It was light and fruity and very fragrant. Would have never tried it if it were not for the suggestion of our waiter, who we had no hesitation to tip as he was so attentive the whole time and really made us feel welcome.
Overall, I'd have to say this restaurant is a must. If not just to see the inside of the building over a a coffee and apple strudel.